View Poll Results: What age would you let your children lay unsupervised?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • In our yard, under 5yrs

56 80.00%
  • In our yard, 5yrs

9 12.86%
  • In our yard, 6yrs

1 1.43%
  • In our yard, 7yrs

2 2.86%
  • In our yard, 8yrs

0 0%
  • In our yard, 9yrs

0 0%
  • In our yard, 10yrs or over

2 2.86%
  • Out of our yard, under 5yrs

1 1.43%
  • Out of our yard, 5yrs

4 5.71%
  • Out of our yard, 6yrs

3 4.29%
  • Out of our yard, 7yrs

4 5.71%
  • Out of our yard, 8yrs

5 7.14%
  • Out of our yard, 9yrs

4 5.71%
  • Out of our yard, 10yrs or over

27 38.57%
  • other

4 5.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 2 yr old plays unsupervised in backyard ( check when it goes silent) yard fully fenced and gate locked, quite rare she is the only kid in backyards though. Older 2, 8 and 11 play in the street with the 10 or so other kids and have since 4 & 6, with that many kids you find out pretty quickly if something has happenned. 2 yr old not allowed on street so she sits in front yard and sulks lol. I don't really like when one kid plays out front alone though...only when at least another child out there ....but usually street is full.

At our old house never, I think it does depend on how busy street is and how many other kids playing. As other kids do watch out and all other parents are popping their heads out to check.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The boys I look after are 18 months and play outside alone if I'm doing something else. BUT 'outside' is literally 3 metres from where I sit in the kitchen - it's an inner city terraced area and is tiny. It also is completely open with bifold doors on both sides so I can see them from every angle. There are no pets either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We have a small yard and small house so when 6 yo DS is outside I can always hear him if anything happened. We have no pool, no dogs, and it's fenced so he can't get run over in the driveway. I do check on him regularly to make sure he's wearing a hat and he's in the shade.

Front yard - different story. Always supervised due to cars in driveway and weirdos in the neighbourhood.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Backyard DD2 is 2 and is find she's not allowed out front without us.
    DD1 9yrs is allowed outside both front and back at anytime i am not putting DD2 to sleep like now..... She atm is watching tv while i try n get lil to sleep

Sent from my space ship

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2EandR View Post
    Why 'happily'? Can you elaborate?
    "Happily" because A:he would not want to be out the by himself and B: because I would never let him be out there by himself :-)

I know you were just fishing for an argument.. You won't get that with me.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I let my 20 mobth old outside in our fenced in back yard on her own, but never in front, I don't even let my eldest two there and they are almost 7and 8

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is almost 2 and has had free reign of our backyard for 6 months or so. We live in a unit with a pretty small backyard and fences on all sides border with our neighbours. She loves being outside!! We also have a golden retriever who has free reign of the house/yard. I do let them outside unsupervised together, but DD isn't one to hassle her much and generally the dog follows DD where ever she goes anyway. I generally find them digging holes together, or DD feeding the dog sticks/stones/grass she finds I wouldn't leave them unsupervised for too long and I check in regularly to make sure all is well. They are closely supervised if the dog has any toys/balls outside though as she gets pretty rowdy when she's playing and DD has been knocked over many times.

With regards to DD being allowed unsupervised out the front I put after 8 years, but i am not too sure yet!! We have a milk bar across the road from us and I can imagine letting her walk across there when she can appreciate road safety, but I don't know when that would be. We have no front fence so she is definitely not allowed out unsupervised yet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My boys occasionally play in the backyard by themselves. They are 2 and 4, but we can see them (we're on 1/4 acre, fully fenced backyard). Our 2 year old doesn't play out there by himself though only when his brother is with him, and our 4 year old we've only stated letting him play out there by himself this year. They never play out the front alone though, we don't have a fence, and i don't trust the cars in our court to watch out for children playing.
    Playing outside our backyard will be about 10 unsupervised i'd say. They have two older cousins who live a few houses away who they will play with, but they are 2 and 3 years older than them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    cul de sac fun!!!
    Attached Images

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

M.2.  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbygirl View Post
    I just really want to stress to you that although you have covered the being able to see him at the park from ur loungeroom, what measures have to taken in the event that he is kidnapped... Hit by a car.... Bullied from older or younger kids....

By the time u realize its happened itl take you a very long time to actually get outside n to the park, by that time your child is long gone!

I dont mean to be mean or rude or upset you but allowing a 7 year old child to play in a park insupervised is not ok, and is not keeping your child out of danger.

I have seen the outcome of unsupervised kids in the park, its not pretty!!

But yes why not let our children roam free.....
    Who are you to say that allowing a 7 year old to play at the park unsupervised is not ok?! You don't know the PP, her 7 year old, where she lives, or the park they go to. I personally know where you should stick your weird bubble-wrap parenting opinions!

Most 'kidnappings' in Australia are a result of parenting/custody issues. Cars don't generally drive through the middle of playground equipment, and I'm pretty sure the world won't collapse if a 7 year old gets teased at the park once or twice......

Geez, paranoid scaremongering much??