View Poll Results: What age would you let your children lay unsupervised?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • In our yard, under 5yrs

56 80.00%
  • In our yard, 5yrs

9 12.86%
  • In our yard, 6yrs

1 1.43%
  • In our yard, 7yrs

2 2.86%
  • In our yard, 8yrs

0 0%
  • In our yard, 9yrs

0 0%
  • In our yard, 10yrs or over

2 2.86%
  • Out of our yard, under 5yrs

1 1.43%
  • Out of our yard, 5yrs

4 5.71%
  • Out of our yard, 6yrs

3 4.29%
  • Out of our yard, 7yrs

4 5.71%
  • Out of our yard, 8yrs

5 7.14%
  • Out of our yard, 9yrs

4 5.71%
  • Out of our yard, 10yrs or over

27 38.57%
  • other

4 5.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    no dog here!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In our yard my nearly 4 year old goes in and out as he pleases, ds1 6 goes up our street and plays on the island( dead end street ) with other kids in the street never alone only when there is a group of then and they are supervised half the time cause there is always a parent going out to check on them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I let my 26 month old in the backyard by himself. I check on him every few minutes, and more often if I see him near bushes coz I get worried that there are spiders.
    We don't have pets and our backyard is secure so he can't get out on his own.

Generally he will take one of his ride-on cars out with him anyway so I can always hear the sound of him pushing the car around.

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    I NEVER let my toddler play outside with our dog, supervised or unsupervised. He is a large dog and is gentle, but I will only let her play outside supervised with him when she is older. It would take 10 seconds and 2 bites for him to kill her. He is an incredibly gentle family dog, but so are most dogs who attack kids. Im very wary when it comes to dogs! We have a yard separated into 2 different areas by a fence, and he goes into a separate area when she is outside.
    This is good, every parent should be wary when it comes to dogs; kids cannot read dog's body language and this is what leads to maulings. Dogs have enough of the attention and throw sign after sign of "Leave me alone, please leave me alone, leave me alone, this is your last warning, leave me alone" and then when these are ignored, their last resort is to bite.

But the amount of times I've read how casually parents will leave young children and even babies alone with the dog and just walk off to do something else out of eye range is atrocious!
    My dog is service trained so as close to emotionally perfect as can be, but she is never ever left alone with children of any age, not even teenagers. I don't even leave her alone with adult strangers, I know from experience that some adults don't know when to back off and leave a clearly uncomfortable dog alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We don't have a dog but when we get one (this year some time) I won't leave my kids alone with it until they are a bit older. My 6 year old yes I would trust, I would even trust my 4 year old but my 2 year old needs to be older.
    I'm not worried about my kids playing with their pets without me being there every single second. Once they are at the age where they can understand that the dog needs its space too then I'm fine with it. Other people's kids I'll make sure are fully supervised...I can teach my kids but I wouldn't trust other people's kids to know.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    In our yard, I let them play 'unsupervised' meaning I'm not actually in exactly the same place as they are.... which is always, as there are 5 of them all doing different things. But I love our yard, it's awesome, it's a square block with the house in the middle and excellent play spaces on all four sides. So the front is for bikes and scooters, the right side has the swing set, trampoline and sandpit, the back has space for ball games and the left side is mainly used for water play...

And it's fully fenced with a big heavy gate... so yeah, they can all play pretty much as they please around the yard.

Outside the house... absolutely not yet for Gabriel, Julian or Lysander... however Oliver and Jordan have 'bike boundaries' which they can use if they ask me (which is basically around the corner and into the first street on the right, which is a cul-de-sac) If our house was on a road with a proper footpath, I'd have no issue with them riding to the park or to school unsupervised next year... but there isn't a proper footpath for the first km... so I or DH go with them.

ETA: oh is this about dogs...?? We don't have one. But I'd never let them play unsupervised with a dog.

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OJandMe View Post
    ETA: oh is this about dogs...?? We don't have one. But I'd never let them play unsupervised with a dog.
    No, but I sortof derailed the thread with it

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 plays outside by himself sometimes, but I am constantly checking on him. He goes outside whenever he wants to, provided the weather is decent. Our yard is fully fenced with 6ft high colour bond steel. We don't have any fencing in the front, so he only comes out with me to check the mail.
    He won't be playing out of our yard on his own, until he's a teenager
    He is 19 months old.
    Last edited by nicoletta; 11-04-2012 at 13:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my 4 year old plays unsupervised in our backyard AND front yard. we live in a quiet culdesac in a small suburb. the dog goes everywhere but im still not concerned.. my nine month old.. well she doesnt go anywhere without me yet i can only dream of a time where I open the door and say "you two go play."

Thanks
    Reviews
    My pair are 3 in a few weeks and play in the backyard all the time.
    It's secure with high fence and gate. I leave the back door open so they can come and go as they like and I can hear them. I can also see them clearly from the kitchen and lounge room.
    They'd play outside all day if I let them.