View Poll Results: What age would you let your children lay unsupervised?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • In our yard, under 5yrs

56 80.00%
  • In our yard, 5yrs

9 12.86%
  • In our yard, 6yrs

1 1.43%
  • In our yard, 7yrs

2 2.86%
  • In our yard, 8yrs

0 0%
  • In our yard, 9yrs

0 0%
  • In our yard, 10yrs or over

2 2.86%
  • Out of our yard, under 5yrs

1 1.43%
  • Out of our yard, 5yrs

4 5.71%
  • Out of our yard, 6yrs

3 4.29%
  • Out of our yard, 7yrs

4 5.71%
  • Out of our yard, 8yrs

5 7.14%
  • Out of our yard, 9yrs

4 5.71%
  • Out of our yard, 10yrs or over

27 38.57%
  • other

4 5.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Oh Goodness I haven't even considered it.. My son is 4.5 and I can happily say he won't be allowed alone for a long time! I don't even want to think about it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub
    Why 'happily'? Can you elaborate?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i let our DD's 4.5yrs and 17mthsplay in the backyard by themselves for short periods.
    its fully fenced and in my opinion quite safe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we're playing in the backyard, I will dash inside to quickly go to the toilet, and leave my 15 month DD in our fully fenced yard for less than 1 minute. I'm worried the whole time - but she is a real risk taker, not that our backyard has a lot of risks that I can assess (My years of child care and school has taught me to do a perimeter check before each play time outside and assess for danger, lol). I guess I'd let my DD for short periods unsupervised around 3 - 4 years, but I would check in on her regularly.

I wouldn't allow her to play elsewhere unsupervised until around 10+, I think. We live in a quiet town, but there are cars and motorbikes that FLY up our road at speeds of 80 - 90kph +, and I don't trust that the extremely irresponsible drivers won't have an accident and come hurtling toward my child if they are in the front yard. We also have large trucks often driving through the main street. I live in a town that used to have 80k+ speed limits once upon a time, and many people disagree that we should drive at 50k now that it is a fairly populated area, and old habits are hard to break - so I worry more about traffic and irresponsible drivers than anything else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS has been allowed out the back by himself for ages now and he's 21months. Of course in not talking about long periods of time, I'm talking about while I'm in and out doing the washing, or cleaning and I'll Come out to check on him. Out yard is fully fenced.

Out the front, I've never ever left him by himself

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm amazed how many people think it's safe to leave their children outside alone with the family dog!

babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow! I feel like a horrible parent now. DS1 is 7 and plays outside our house all the time and has since he was 6. We live in a really great area and directly across from a park. I can see the park from my loungeroom and he is always playing with at least 3 or 4 friends. All his friends are his age, some younger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    I'm amazed how many people think it's safe to leave their children outside alone with the family dog!

No dogs here!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 3 children are allowed to play alone in our backyard whenever they want and the weather permits it.

They are 5, 3 and 15 months.. I also allow my 2 youngest to play out there together but keep more of an eye on them.

My 5 yr old is quite responsible and will tell me if the others are doing anything wrong ;-)

ETA - we also have a dog and have no issues with leaving them all out there together, i'm only 50 m away at the most, it's not like they're in a different yard.
    Last edited by 2girls1boyplus1; 11-04-2012 at 07:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babalooba View Post
    Wow! I feel like a horrible parent now. DS1 is 7 and plays outside our house all the time and has since he was 6. We live in a really great area and directly across from a park. I can see the park from my loungeroom and he is always playing with at least 3 or 4 friends. All his friends are his age, some younger.
    I just really want to stress to you that although you have covered the being able to see him at the park from ur loungeroom, what measures have to taken in the event that he is kidnapped... Hit by a car.... Bullied from older or younger kids....

By the time u realize its happened itl take you a very long time to actually get outside n to the park, by that time your child is long gone!

I dont mean to be mean or rude or upset you but allowing a 7 year old child to play in a park insupervised is not ok, and is not keeping your child out of danger.

I have seen the outcome of unsupervised kids in the park, its not pretty!!

To answer op -

I dont allow my 3 & 6 yr old into our backyard unless i am out there, its to dangerous in many ways- due to kids being kids n the way the landlord has left the yard.

I dont allow them in the front yard unless i am out there, and when i am out there, they have limits to where to go.

I dont allow them over their friends house (who live in our st) unless i am able to be there, for the simple fact that i dont no them 100%

I encourage them to bring friends over to our house, i give my number to the parents, state where they will n wont be playing and so on, and offer the parents to come also

There is a jus jus turned 8yr old n her 6yr old sister who are my dd friends and they are allowed to wonder around the streets one being the towns main rd, n our st which has a unstable lake at the end they play around!
    The parents have said to me oh its such a small town so they can have a wonder around its so great.

Yesterday tgey where out playing eldest pushing 6 yr old in a stroller n tgey mentioned to my daughter where they wer going, and the 6yr old said but we didnt ask mum, who cares lets go, and off they went.

Just Late Last yr we had 3 seperate kidnapping attempts 2 by women n 1 by a man and have had a man constantly reported for suspicious behaviour including children.

But yes why not let our children roam free.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    I NEVER let my toddler play outside with our dog, supervised or unsupervised. He is a large dog and is gentle, but I will only let her play outside supervised with him when she is older. It would take 10 seconds and 2 bites for him to kill her. He is an incredibly gentle family dog, but so are most dogs who attack kids. Im very wary when it comes to dogs! We have a yard separated into 2 different areas by a fence, and he goes into a separate area when she is outside.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast