View Poll Results: What age would you let your children lay unsupervised?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • In our yard, under 5yrs

56 80.00%
  • In our yard, 5yrs

9 12.86%
  • In our yard, 6yrs

1 1.43%
  • In our yard, 7yrs

2 2.86%
  • In our yard, 8yrs

0 0%
  • In our yard, 9yrs

0 0%
  • In our yard, 10yrs or over

2 2.86%
  • Out of our yard, under 5yrs

1 1.43%
  • Out of our yard, 5yrs

4 5.71%
  • Out of our yard, 6yrs

3 4.29%
  • Out of our yard, 7yrs

4 5.71%
  • Out of our yard, 8yrs

5 7.14%
  • Out of our yard, 9yrs

4 5.71%
  • Out of our yard, 10yrs or over

27 38.57%
  • other

4 5.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    In our yard, under 5. My child has never been the type to risk her life in play. She's just not that kid. Her outside play involves a ball, hula-hoops, the trampoline and swings... nothing especially dangerous and nothing that requires regular supervision at this stage. There are no pets either and we've got a 6ft fence surrounding it.

Outside of our yard... well, prob over 10. She's has zero common sense and zero sense of "street smarts," (I know she's only little, but other kids seem more street smart at that age than she is). She would probably freak out if left on her own to play away from our yard anyway.

Plus, she's an only child. It's not the same as having a handful of children I know all playing together... it's just her. She could so easily be snatched up and taken away without me, or anyone else, knowing. Perhaps if she had siblings similar in age, or neighbourhood children who were trustworthy and "street smart," it might be different.

I just don't see her being in a place where she's capable of being unsupervised in public place until after 10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I let my 3.5yo play in the yard. It is partially unfenced, but the unfenced portion is to the neighbour's yard, and their yard is fenced. He's never gone into their yard anyway.

I stick my head out very regularly and check him as we have a low front fence, but thankfully it's a very quiet street.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I let my two boys play in the back yard and I stay inside (within hearing distance) - but they are six and four now ... but to play OUTSIDE the yard - I simply do not leave them without supervision ..

I simply dont trust anyone I dont know really really well.. Every time I think that they are old enough .. I think of Daniel Morcombe and the fact that he was 13 I would have said that was old enough but in a public place I no longer believe it is

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Veve For This Useful Post:

mummaof4  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I often wonder the same thing with bathing. How old is old enough to not sit in the bathroom constantly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's a bit hard to say, really...

My two are allowed in the backyard 'unsupervised' but really, that's me watching from the kitchen, or occasionally sitting on the lounger thingy on the porch, with an eye on them and the other on my phone/book.

I said 8 for unsupervised, but I won't know really until they are older...

I just remember being extremely free range as a kid, building forts, paddling in the bay, exploring the bush near home, going to friends houses and the corner store. In saying this, it was a tiny tiny little town, and it was from the ages 8-10... I want to give my kids the modern day equivalent of this, but at this point (they are 3 and 18months) I can't even imagine letting them out of my sight or with anyone that isn't family I know very well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 5 year old and my 1 year old play unsupervised in our front and back yards (fully fenced). My 5 year old is allowed to walk to the park by herself with her older cousins or the girl next door who is 12 She is also allowed to walk to my Nanas house which is one street away We are pretty free range here!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In the backyard under 5.

I couldn't imagine the boys being unsupervised outside of the yard until they are over 10, maybe 11/12yrs? But it depends on their level of maturity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In the yard, under 5. Beryl is always out there.

I do check the pool gate first.

Outside the garden, over 9.
    DS plays in the cul de sac on his own. He gets a bus to school and home every day (20 mins)
    Agnes is 7 and is not allowed out the front on her own. She is just allowed to do kiss and drop at school and go on sleep overs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh Goodness I haven't even considered it.. My son is 4.5 and I can happily say he won't be allowed alone for a long time! I don't even want to think about it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I let my 2.5 yr old outside.. Its fully fenced.. And I have a small house and can hear him the whole time.. Hes started trying to get out the front.. I can hear him opening the fence. Time to get a lock I think.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub