View Poll Results: What age would you let your children lay unsupervised?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • In our yard, under 5yrs

56 80.00%
  • In our yard, 5yrs

9 12.86%
  • In our yard, 6yrs

1 1.43%
  • In our yard, 7yrs

2 2.86%
  • In our yard, 8yrs

0 0%
  • In our yard, 9yrs

0 0%
  • In our yard, 10yrs or over

2 2.86%
  • Out of our yard, under 5yrs

1 1.43%
  • Out of our yard, 5yrs

4 5.71%
  • Out of our yard, 6yrs

3 4.29%
  • Out of our yard, 7yrs

4 5.71%
  • Out of our yard, 8yrs

5 7.14%
  • Out of our yard, 9yrs

4 5.71%
  • Out of our yard, 10yrs or over

27 38.57%
  • other

4 5.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Difficult to answer the poll.
    In own yard - they would never be completely out of our site as we have a huge decking, lots of windows from our open plan house so can keep an eye on them easily or we are outdoors alot of the time with them.
    Outside of the yard - probably 10yrs old when they understand road rules and stranger danger and we feel they are responsible enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You would all be horrified - I let my DD play out the front with the other kids in the street a few times when she was 4. I was inside and checked on her every now and then. We live at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac though - wouldn't do it if we were on a main road.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    In my yard def under 5 years DD plays outside without me being out there though with her I am always within eye site. My boys 4&3 play out in the yard all the time alone.

I wouldn't be comfortable with them being out the front until they were mature enough to cross the street and comprehend stranger danger I guestimated 6 years.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    when i was a child before the age of about 6 i was allowed to go 6 houses down, on our side of the road to a friends and play. by 10 i was gone from home at least 8hrs a day, home by dark.
    dd has played in our secure backyard since 11months, but i supervise in our front yard.
    at my inlaws she has played out the front in the culdesac, with the nieghbourhood kids since about 18months, but i can see her from the kitchen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD (3) plays in our pergola by herself (supervised by the dogs!), but not the yard because it's up a few steps that are quite steep. I'm not sure what age I'd let her play out the front unsupervised though seeing as we're way off that. People drive down our street soooooo fast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I let our eldest who is six out the back by herself but I can see through the blinds. I wouldn't let my 3yo out there by herself. Can't trust her.

When I was six I was out in the bush behind our house by myself, at a friends house a street over and didn't come home til late. Wouldn't dream of letting my kids do that here or now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In our yard, IF I had 10 foot walls and padlocks on the 10 foot steel gate to the side of the house, 5 and under, but seeing as though we have normal sized walls,DD is only just allowed out there without me sitting out there with her.She's 7.

Outside of the yard , on the front street for example, not till shes 10 or older, but them I am a very over protective freak. Her schoolfriends parents know my child isnt allowed out of their gardens when she's over for a playdate, even if they allow their own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD, nearly 4, has pretty much free rein in our secure backyard. I can keep an eye on her from the kitchen though.

I do let her get the mail or pick flowers from the front yard, but any longer than 5 mins or so and I will go out with her.

We also have a dog, which is added security, he'd never let a stranger in.

Sent from my LT18a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I let DD go in the backyard by herself. It's fully fenced. I just yell out to her every 5-10 minutes and she yells back I'm ok mum she's 3.5, won't be going out the front for a LONG time yet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Since they've been 2, always have access the the backyard or varandah without us. Just come & go as they please.

If something happens to 1, other 2 are going to tell me 2 seconds after.