+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default RAOK's and other acts of Charity and Good Will

Hi all,

I feel like I need to do something for someone else. I've never really volunteered for anything or put myself out in a way to help others in any big way.

I actually feel like I need to do something BIG, like be a surrogate, or foster a child... but I know that's not really suitable for me right now whilst working and looking after my own 2 babies. I don't have money to give to charity, and I'm pretty time poor too..

SO! What have YOU done, or had done FOR you, or heard of people doing for others. I want ideas, but also just want to hear stories

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This last christmas we got given 2 huge food hamper by 2 diferent groups very needed at the time but they didnt know that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AliG For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    nobody else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find families struggling and pay for their children to do things like play sport for a season or go on school camp

6. The Following User Says Thank You to october For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also find older people in the area needing help or company

8. The Following User Says Thank You to october For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Have you thought about doing meals on wheels or the Aunties and Uncles program for disadvantaged children?
    What is the Aunties and Uncles program? I think Meals on Wheels would be a little tricky with 2 kids in tow

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Honestly you don't need to do big things to change the world around you.

Simply doing little things that brighten someday can make both yours, your kids and others lives.

There are old people in nursing home who never get a visitor. They would to have sit with them. Having the kids with you is a extra bonus...

Paying for the car behind you at a toll or 30 cent ice creams for a family.

Helping a family with a meal when some is sick or stressed.

Giving someone movie tickets and babysitting for them so they can have a night off.

etc....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Smile at strangers. Offer to babysit for a friend. Join baked relief. Foster pets from the RSPCA. Join a program to visit patients in hospital who have no family or friends (my FIL does this and says its very rewarding). If a friend is sick, drop round a meal for the freezer (spagbol etc). I can guarantee you that last one is hugely appreciated. Bake a cake and put together a new neighbour kit when someone moves in near you (info on bin days, local takeaway menus, bus timetables, list of nearby parks..).

Nice thread, OP.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (11-04-2012)