+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I understand people's option for it
    but for me I couldn't support it I have had to deal with fertility, mc, high risk pregnancies and my dream of having four children feels like its slipping through my fingers. It makes me very angry and bitter that my right to have the the amount of children I want has been taken out of my hands

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    The decision has been taken out of my hands also, although for different reasons. I do think that most people would support population control before seeing peole living on streets and starving because there's not enough resources to support us all. I feel the heartbreaking yearn every minute of every day but I'd put up with it if it meant people survived.

Thankfully it's not an issue in this country!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trishalishous View Post
    I have a friend who is a product of Chinas One child policy.
    She often tells me about the social implications, as there are generations which have never had to negotiate or share anything, and are finding romantic relationships very difficult.
    The shift from university (where you cant date) to the workforce when you are 'expected' to find a partner and then start a family, as well as manage a career, is very difficult.
    The rural areas dont follow the policy, as its not feasible to run a farm with only one child, plus they usually dont access the schooling/health facilities anyway.
    i have heard that the one child policy doesn't extend to remote areas as well as minority ethnic groups

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Pink-Hen For This Useful Post:

Benji  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Sorry, I disagree. Huge amounts of money is already spent on this and too many children slip through the cracks.

I am so glad that there are people like Beryl and gothchick (and my mother) who are able to survive childhood abuse and become high functioning and contributing adults but too many children do not survive, in one way or another, and should not be forced to live in the circumstances in which they do
    so do away with us, in order prevent any suffering.
    My suffering made me, me.

But I am going to walk away as the thought of me being not born is too sensitive.
    I often used to wish I had never been born...but now with my kids and my life, I am so so glad i was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Sorry, I disagree. Huge amounts of money is already spent on this and too many children slip through the cracks.

I am so glad that there are people like Beryl and gothchick (and my mother) who are able to survive childhood abuse and become high functioning and contributing adults but too many children do not survive, in one way or another, and should not be forced to live in the circumstances in which they do
    I don't understand what you are saying? You disagree that money is better spent supporting living children then having them being born at all? Because that's what I said in my post.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Addiction does not make someone a bad parent. Define clean?
    I didn't mean to indicate that addiction means a bad parent. I meant that with addiction it could endanger a child's life throughout a pregnancy. With some drugs it can take a year or more to get rid out of your system, depending on how long and how heavy you have used.
    If you get pregnant while taking drugs, you are increasing the risk of having a child with birth defects or health problems. This in turn would put extra pressure on our health system and tax payers.
    So IMO it would be best if these women got rid of the chemicals out of their body before getting pregnant.

I know with alcohol addiction, the toxins are gone within a week orso. Yet if you stop your heavy drinking abruptly because you are pregnant, you will get withdrawal symptoms which endanger the unborn child. This is why it would be good if addicted women could get rid of their addiction before getting pregnant (again).
    Ofcourse they can choose to keep drinking or use drugs and knowingly taking a risk of birth defects and severe disabilities. That is upto them.
    Though it wouldn't be very fair for those who do everything right in their pregnancy and still have a child with birth defects. They have to wait on long waiting lists to get treatment for their child, simply because some people who knowingly endangered their child, are ahead of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    so do away with us, in order prevent any suffering.
    My suffering made me, me.

But I am going to walk away as the thought of me being not born is too sensitive.
    I often used to wish I had never been born...but now with my kids and my life, I am so so glad i was.
    No, that's not what I mean. I understand why you make the point though and why it is too sensitive for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Scary that so many people are supportive of sterilising people against their will.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (10-04-2012),mrsdj1234  (11-04-2012),wantingtostart  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    I didn't mean to indicate that addiction means a bad parent. I meant that with addiction it could endanger a child's life throughout a pregnancy. With some drugs it can take a year or more to get rid out of your system, depending on how long and how heavy you have used.
    If you get pregnant while taking drugs, you are increasing the risk of having a child with birth defects or health problems. This in turn would put extra pressure on our health system and tax payers.
    So IMO it would be best if these women got rid of the chemicals out of their body before getting pregnant.

I know with alcohol addiction, the toxins are gone within a week orso. Yet if you stop your heavy drinking abruptly because you are pregnant, you will get withdrawal symptoms which endanger the unborn child. This is why it would be good if addicted women could get rid of their addiction before getting pregnant (again).
    Ofcourse they can choose to keep drinking or use drugs and knowingly taking a risk of birth defects and severe disabilities. That is upto them.
    Though it wouldn't be very fair for those who do everything right in their pregnancy and still have a child with birth defects. They have to wait on long waiting lists to get treatment for their child, simply because some people who knowingly endangered their child, are ahead of them.
    Yep got ya, lots of misinterpretation
    happening on the hub tonight!
    Although I think lots of people knowingly don't do the right thing, it doesn't mean their child should suffer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    Also, if you were to enforce a limit, how would it be quantified, especially taking into account blended families.

Would a stillborn child be counted (as was the case in the movie Fortress)?
    Would adult children be counted?
    Would only children you had residential custody of be counted?
    Would it be a separate count for each individual, or for a couple?
    Yes there is way to many variables involved

Quote Originally Posted by lovesushi View Post
    No I don't. Some people have less, some people have more, the environment will be fine (in term of population)!

Off topic: What do you think about the octo-mum, should she be sterilised?

I actually totally understand how Nadia suleman ended up with 14 children especially the octuples. I wont be surprised if she had more children
    many people don't begrudge people using ivf. But if your using ivf to have a large family (3+) your selfish which is another insult to injury to people with fertility struggles