+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've heard of a radical idea (from futuristic fiction) where all children were sterilised at birth, then had to apply for permission to use IVF to create a child. It is not that much of a reach and easy to see how that could become normal in a society.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    Wow, that was pretty harsh. I read what PPs said. I was actually talking in general. I've been called selfish and cruel for only wanting one.
    Specific use of the word cruel indicated it was in reference to previous posts...
    Nothing selfish about only wanting one child but it would be indeed cruel for a parent to be forced to only have one child, if they wanted more.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to squirrelex For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Making a blanket statement doesn't mean I deserved to be sworn at even if I was talking about what had been said prior (which I wasn't). But anyway...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

babyla  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I was actually talking in general. I've been called selfish and cruel for only wanting one.
    I had a only child for 6 years and I got those comments too. Now I get the opposite. You just can't win.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

waterlily  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Making a blanket statement doesn't mean I deserved to be sworn at even if I was talking about what had been said prior (which I wasn't). But anyway...
    I know WL. I think unfortunately people have misinterpreted your post, which wasn't in reference to previous posts, rather just a comment about your own experience.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

waterlily  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Then your post had absolutely nothing to do with the thread.

I'm sorry for posting FFS, but it's frustrating seeing people constantly misinterpret something that obviously wasn't what they have interpreted it as.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I do think the world is overpopulated, but I don't like "restriction" as a solution. Incentives for having no more than a certain number of children perhaps. For example, baby bonus only for the first two/three children.
    I would support this if we were in a desperate situation with population control such as China or India. China has this in place currently, you do not receive your family payments for any children after the first except for minority families such as certain races.

I wouldn't agree with it now in Australia as we're a resource rich land with enough space and an ageing population.

I totally agree that in our country it's the way in which we live that is destroying the environment, not the number of people although in some countries, like India, it's literally the number of people causing the issues - lack of sanitation, lots living on the streets etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Then your post had absolutely nothing to do with the thread.

I'm sorry for posting FFS, but it's frustrating seeing people constantly misinterpret something that obviously wasn't what they have interpreted it as.
    Most of us are guilty of going on a tangent when posting. I can clearly see how my post could have been misinterpreted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Sorry, I should've added to my last post in China those living rurally are not affected by the one child policy. I think this is sensible as the problems are within major cities where buildings are being built higher and higher and they will simply eventually run out of housing. People need to be sensible about this over there but it's not a problem rurally as there's enough space and housing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    I think that Beryl has twice made a very apt point. There are many good, functioning adults born from abusive families, and I don't think many of them would wish they didn't exist. I would suggest that rather than spending money on forcing sterilisation and restrictions (an abhorrent thought), that the money could be better spent in supporting the children once they are actually here.
    Sorry, I disagree. Huge amounts of money is already spent on this and too many children slip through the cracks.

I am so glad that there are people like Beryl and gothchick (and my mother) who are able to survive childhood abuse and become high functioning and contributing adults but too many children do not survive, in one way or another, and should not be forced to live in the circumstances in which they do

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Artful For This Useful Post:

wilding  (20-04-2012)