+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In general I do not support a limit on the number of children a family can have at all.

Agree with PPs who say unfit parents should be banned from having more children though - wholeheartedly agree with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I do think someone having 10+ kids is excessive, but wouldn't want to restrict them. I think it all evens out in the end as some people have no children, others only have 1 or 2.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

sweetseven  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Also, if you were to enforce a limit, how would it be quantified, especially taking into account blended families.

Would a stillborn child be counted (as was the case in the movie Fortress)?
    Would adult children be counted?
    Would only children you had residential custody of be counted?
    Would it be a separate count for each individual, or for a couple?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    While I don't understand people who want 20 kids, and then go and HAVE 20 kids... I'm not sure they're so common they they need to be restricted.

I think some people really shouldn't be having as many as they do... but those same people probably shouldn't be parents at all tbh. I do find it sad that sometimes those who are the worst parents are the ones who seem to keep on having more and more to neglect (not saying parents with large families are neglectful horrible parents, just that horrible parents I know seem to have lots of children when they really should have stopped at 1... or even had none).

I don't really like the idea of controlling the amount of children people have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Hiss View Post
    In general I do not support a limit on the number of children a family can have at all.

Agree with PPs who say unfit parents should be banned from having more children though - wholeheartedly agree with this.
    I agree. It's upsetting that people think it's cruel to only have one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No I don't. Some people have less, some people have more, the environment will be fine (in term of population)!

Off topic: What do you think about the octo-mum, should she be sterilised?
    Last edited by lovesushi; 10-04-2012 at 20:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    I agree. It's upsetting that people think it's cruel to only have one.
    Oh FFS, they're just saying it's cruel to only allow people to have one child, because some may have an earnest desire for 2 or more.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

squirrelex  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a mum of almost 4 I would definitely be against any type of restriction being put in place.

Just the idea of telling anyone how many children they can have is wrong on so many levels to me..

Even the comments regarding poor parents being restricted rubs me the wrong way. It may sound naive but maybe one of those children will cure cancer or make some other amazing difference to the world we live in.

It takes all types of people from all types of personal backgrounds to make the world what it is..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Oh FFS, they're just saying it's cruel to only allow people to have one child, because some may have an earnest desire for 2 or more.
    Wow, that was pretty harsh. I read what PPs said. I was actually talking in general. I've been called selfish and cruel for only wanting one.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a friend who is a product of Chinas One child policy.
    She often tells me about the social implications, as there are generations which have never had to negotiate or share anything, and are finding romantic relationships very difficult.
    The shift from university (where you cant date) to the workforce when you are 'expected' to find a partner and then start a family, as well as manage a career, is very difficult.
    The rural areas dont follow the policy, as its not feasible to run a farm with only one child, plus they usually dont access the schooling/health facilities anyway.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (10-04-2012)