+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I don't think there should be a restriction on number of children. I have 5. Do most people have 5? No, of course not. Most people have 2, or at the most 3. So the argument is ridiculous because the majority don't have large families anyway (in the western world). In third world countries it is a different situation because people use much much less than what we use, anyway.

The argument about population causing stress on the world's resources is legitimate, but I also think that consumption has an enormous role to play in the debate, because we in the western world are much bigger consumers of just about EVERYTHING, than anyone is the developing world.

Perhaps the question should be about whether we need all the stuff we have?

*sorry if you read the first post of this, a crying child hit lol.
    Last edited by Clarabelle; 10-04-2012 at 17:29.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clarabelle For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    1 child is not cruel.
    Maybe not for you but For ME it would be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarabelle View Post
    No, I don't think there should be a restriction on number of children. I have 5. Do most people have 5? No, of course not. Most people have 2, or at the most 3. So the argument is ridiculous because the majority don't have large families anyway (in the western world). In third world countries it is a different situation because people use much much less than what we use, anyway.

The argument about population causing stress on the world's resources is legitimate, but I also think that consumption has an enormous role to play in the debate, because we in the western world are much bigger consumers of just about EVERYTHING, than anyone is the developing world.

Perhaps the question should be about whether we need all the stuff we have?

*sorry if you read the first post of this, a crying child hit lol.
    I agree with all of this, especially the part I bolded.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    from an environmental perspective a family of 8 can live more sustainably than a family of 3.
    we personally have solar, our own water, grow or barter for about half of our food, own 1 car and limit our trips wherever possible, turn lights off when out of the room, put on a jumper rather than heating.
    our exhousemate was a single woman who used more water than a family of 5 (according to our bills) let the lights and heating on 24/7 then left the windows ope so the house didnt get stuffy, bought prepackaged meals, drove 200m to the shop, wouldnt reheat leftovers etc
    so environmentally we could support far more family members, with less impact.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is enough land to produce food for everyone. It's not population that is the problem but government, money, corruption and greed. Why don't you go to Queensland and see what is happening to farmers there. All the land being taken of them for mining. Stolen from generations of farmers. Prime, rich land perfect for the best food you can imagine. Go see how many millions of kilos of food is being thrown out by farmers cause no one will buy it e.g Wollies, Coles or the government. Population yea right another BS story proudly brought to you by people's greed for money.
    This is happening all around the globe, India another example.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

Crazyfamily  (12-04-2012),Stiflers Mom  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We don't need to in this country as Most people restrict the amount by choice as they prefer lifestyle, financial security etc. I know my family of 6 consumes less resource than many other smaller families, yet I also acknowledge we can't all have 4 kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    While overpopulation and diminishing resources are a valid concern, the practical implications of restricting children can be simply horrific so I'd have to say no.
    I don't know if it's true or just one of those things you read, but apparently forced 2nd/3rd trimester abortions happen in China as a result of this

I definitely agree that encouraging more sustainable living is a better approach.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

mrsd  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I'm sorry but 1 child being cruel is over the top.
    Cruel is, torture in war, bullying another person mercilessly, stoning people to death or forcing your
    child to eat a carrot at Maccas.
    1 child is not cruel.
    @carrots!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a child of abuse and neglect. I am glad i was able to live and my mother was not sterilised.my adult years are awesome and i think i am pretty awesomeperson!

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (11-04-2012),Crazyfamily  (12-04-2012),Little-Pink-Hen  (10-04-2012),LoveLivesHere  (10-04-2012),Luna Lovegood  (10-04-2012),sweetseven  (10-04-2012),trishalishous  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When I was younger, I was concerned about the lack of good people in todays world. As a young person, my idea was to have lots of children and raise them to be good people to increase the number of good people in the world.

It may be whimsical folley, but it was a concept of how having more children could have a positive environmental and societal impact on the world.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

mrsd  (10-04-2012)