+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelex View Post
    Could they attach a name to the voucher and the person cashing it in show ID?
    While that would be one way to prevent people selling them, it would promote sales only at big supermarkets, leaving smaller retailers in low socioeconomic area to suffer.

It's such a tricky situation but the government can't nanny people by dictating where they can spend their money...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    I am probably in the minority here, again, but I also think that that food vouchers are a great idea. It may not work for everyone, perhaps it should only to apply to 'at risk' families, but it is a way of ensuring so far as is possible that the government benefits are going where they're meant to be going - into food, clothing and blankets etc for children.

There is a system in the Kimberley (and maybe in the NT as part of the intervention, I'm not too sure) where there is a thing called a 'basics card'. You can use the card at a number of shops to buy whatever you want, just not grog, smokes etc. You can't use it to take money out either. I'm sure, if the person was determined, they might be able to buy something and then swap it but it would be much harder than simply being handed the cash.

It's not just for those on child protection income management, but some people with mental illnesses who are particularly vulnerable to influences (friends and reles taking their money on pension day).
    I agree with everything you wrote...
    My DF and I were only discussing this the other day. I think it should only be a case by case thing but we were discussing shopping and petrol vouchers, rent being direct debited to the real estate and some sort of system where the electricity bills were presented and paid for.
    I know far too many people who unfortunately put their alcohol and cigarette "needs" before their children's needs, very sad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh here we go. Let's marginalise the poor again because of the few that abuse it. Studies have shown that the majority of people on benefits don't abuse the system. Why on earth should I be embarrassed and humiliated every single time I shop just because my relationship didn't work out? Why should I have to get vouchers because I study? I'm sorry but I've got the bl00dy right to spend my money when and where I please. I don't need to have it monitored by everyone else. Actually, let's give the FTB to everyone in vouchers too. Ugh. This sickens me every time I here people getting so d@mn superior about what others on benefits should do.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (12-04-2012),Benji  (12-04-2012),Crazyfamily  (12-04-2012),GuestMember  (12-04-2012),Luna Lovegood  (12-04-2012),mrsdj1234  (12-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some people don't see it as your money, they see it as the kids money that working people pay so they will always want to see where the money goes. Wrong or right it's how some feel

It would be like food stamps I suppose where it goes on a ebt card so people don't know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Oh here we go. Let's marginalise the poor again because of the few that abuse it. Studies have shown that the majority of people on benefits don't abuse the system. Why on earth should I be embarrassed and humiliated every single time I shop just because my relationship didn't work out? Why should I have to get vouchers because I study? I'm sorry but I've got the bl00dy right to spend my money when and where I please. I don't need to have it monitored by everyone else. Actually, let's give the FTB to everyone in vouchers too. Ugh. This sickens me every time I here people getting so d@mn superior about what others on benefits should do.
    Yep.

Not to mention there is quite a number of people who live on benefits so they can study and break the poverty cycle. Why should these people be under scrutiny?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (12-04-2012),Ana Gram  (12-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    eeeek..

I cannot think of anything worse than having to carry a car around, called a basic card.

I dont think there is a huge amount that wrought the system.. A lot of welfare goes to single mums and I just cannot understand why they should be nannied...
    They should be able to master their own money and the idea of them being told what they can spend it on, makes me feel physically ill.
    I know plenty of rich people who spend loads on gambling and drugs and alcohol...
    Most of the single mums I know, could teach us all about clever budgeting...and to think of punishing them for being single...ewwww

Being married/partnered is nothing but luck and to think that people think this places them above others is just...wow.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (12-04-2012),Benji  (12-04-2012),FiveInTheBed  (12-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Some people don't see it as your money, they see it as the kids money that working people pay so they will always want to see where the money goes. Wrong or right it's how some feel

It would be like food stamps I suppose where it goes on a ebt card so people don't know.
    Well that would be incorrect. It's money for studying. It's my money. It's my money to pay rent bills etc. by all means, give it to my child, but I don't think he would know how to budget.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Benji  (12-04-2012),Crazyfamily  (12-04-2012),Luna Lovegood  (12-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    I'd just like to mention I did suggest case by case not everyone and I myself AM on benefits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2b09 View Post
    I'd just like to mention I did suggest case by case not everyone and I myself AM on benefits.
    Sorry love. That wasn't directed at you, it just happened to follow your post. It was a general Grr because I've seen it so many times on BH. thankfully never IRL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post

That is just awful and for anyone that does feel like that, could you print out a total of how much you have paid in tax for your life...Just you. Not your partner.
    Then remove the money that was paid each time you used medicare, the money for the roads you travel on, the rebate you get for any children that went to school, the baby bonus, any FT A or B, any dole, carer pension, stimulus , rebate for a hecs debt etc etc..
    and then let us all know how you want that remaing money spent.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (12-04-2012),Crazyfamily  (12-04-2012),GuestMember  (12-04-2012),ItWasntMe  (12-04-2012),Luna Lovegood  (12-04-2012)