+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If they're paying for the IVF, what's the problem?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The only restrictions of sterilisation that I support is if a mother or father or carer are convicted of murder or manslaughter of a child. Those people should have the rights of becoming a parent taken away from them forever.

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No, but I think it would be easier to control why people have children, if you get me.

Limit the amount of parenting payment you get if you're under, say, 20. Cut the baby bonus in half for teenage parents under 18 and don't ever make it a lump sum again. Even better, give out Safeway coupons instead, cannot be traded for cigarettes or alcohol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    Even better, give out Safeway coupons instead, cannot be traded for cigarettes or alcohol.
    So agree with this for the major proportion of all parenting payments (as someone who receives a large sum, too).

If say 70% + of Family Payment was grocery vouchers, at least there would never be an excuse for kids without food, clothing etc. All families could earn what they liked but kids would receive the benefit of the $$$ meant for them.

Someone suggested that the Baby Bonus be limited to the first few children. The purpose of the Baby Bonus (we had our first four children before it was introduced) was to encourage families to have more children. We are still below replacement rate in our Australian Birth stats. ie. Women on average are having about 1.9 babies each - as blokes can't have them that means that we're not replacing ourselves and our population will eventually drop (without immigration). This is bad cos there will be less working taxpayers (our kids) to support an ageing population (us).

That's what current Govt policy is still aimed at addressing. Without the Baby Bonus, the birth rate was only 1.7 children per woman.

So, do we have an overpopulation or underpopulation issue? Frankly, I'm with those who think the issue is equitable sharing of resources. Our Western lifestyle consumes enough excess to easily feed starving Africans etc. We need to be better at sharing.
    Last edited by mrsd; 10-04-2012 at 23:37.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsd For This Useful Post:

Artful  (10-04-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Pink-Hen View Post
    i have heard that the one child policy doesn't extend to remote areas as well as minority ethnic groups
    thats right. only children are also 'allowed' to have 2 children, and if a child has a disability the family can have another (to help support the sibling after the parents die)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    No.
    I support the boundaries that we have in Aus regarding embryo transfer (no octomum here) but anything else is a gross infringement on human rights.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default For reducing the number of children people have

I'm for reducing the number of children people have - it's simply not sustainable to keep reproducing at above the replacement rate, and each additional human is another nail in the coffin of another species. (For the record, we're about to start TTC #1 and I still feel nervous about the ethics of wanting to have a child in an already crowded world).

However, as for how you go about stopping people having too many kids - I think education (including education about outdated religious beliefs) and lifitng people out of poverty are the solutions - there's no way I'd support mandatory sterilisation.
    Last edited by Gentoo; 11-04-2012 at 10:48. Reason: Changed "restricting" to "reducing" - because my post was obviously misinterpreted

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

squirrelex  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    I'm for restricting the number of children people have - it's simply not sustainable to keep reproducing at above the replacement rate, and each additional human is another nail in the coffin of another species. (For the record, we're about to start TTC #1 and I still feel nervous about the ethics of wanting to have a child in an already crowded world).

However, as for how you go about stopping people having too many kids - I think education (including education about outdated religious beliefs) and lifitng people out of poverty are the solutions - there's no way I'd support mandatory sterilisation.

Well, considering Australia has had a below replacement fertility rate for 35 years, would you care if I had, say, 10 kids? lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How can anyone say that they support a restriction on the number of children people can have? Think only of the people that you know. Do they fit in your ideals for whom should be able to have kids? Do you know people who have survived child abuse? Are they great people? Now think about if they weren't born because someone in their family was a child abuser.
    To try and put restrictions on family size is the first step towards a society that will end up with greater and further reaching restrictions, 'for the good of the world'. I truly hope it never ever gets to the point that it comes about.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't support choosing who gets to have children, nor would I support putting limitations on individuals, and I would never be an advocate for that.

What I do support is a global (and, by extension, national) goal to stabilise population growth. We live on a planet with finite resources (most of which are consumed by first-world countries!) and there is consequently a finite limit to how many beings it can support. Increases in the human population inevitably lead to other species being impacted, and I don't think that's fair or equitable, both to those other species and to our own kids and grandkids.

I hate the thought that my child could grow up in a world where some of the most beautiful parts of our planet have been trashed in the quest to support ourselves.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

squirrelex  (11-04-2012)