+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Progesterone Pessaries and brown discharge??

Hi ladies,
    I hope everyone is doing well and having success on their journey. We had a FET two weeks ago and got our BFP today! We are very excited as this is our 2nd IVF attempt ( and 2 prior miscarraiges ). I have a question in regards to the progesterone pessaries. Has anyone else experienced a browny discharge ( almost like old blood ) whilst using the pessaries? My IVF nurses have said it is normal for some women as the cervix may just be irritated, but I am just curious as some days it is more than others. I havent had it for the whole time, just in the last week or so.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! thank you so much!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't require IVF but I do use the pessaries due to low progesterone. I have been using these twice a day for 7 weeks and have had no discharge at all. However, many women get brown discharge during pregnancy even without using pessaries. During my first pregnancy I had brown discharge after sex due to to a sensitive cervix. If the nurses have said it's normal then I'm sure all is fine. Congratulations by the way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that! I am sure it is nothing to worry about, but can't help but worry anyway. I am also on them twice a day. Do you lay down after you've inserted them, and for how long? Also, how strict are you with the 12hrs apart?? And thank you again!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey, Congrats
    I was using crinone and found it to be slightly coloured but not brown as such, try not to stress about it if the nurses say it is normal..... Are you continuing to use now you are pregnant? I still wonder why they told me to stop when I got my BFP as I had a m.c I have so many questions, like why did they not continue me on this?!
    I would insert mine before bed and sleep, maybe hoping up to put the wrapper in the bin but that's it really..... Good luck =)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's very hard not to worry! I was told to lay down for half an hour after inserting. This gives your body time to warm up the pessary, and release the progesterone. Once the half hour is up I usually go to the loo- otherwise it gets very messy! The messy bit is just the coating. I was also told I didn't need to be too strict on the 12 hours apart thing, so long as I had one in the morning and one at night- the time difference wasn't too important.

Marttc, did they do a blood test before they told you to stop taking them? Perhaps your levels were high enough????? I didn't start taking them till I got a positive test, but I think that was because I don't have trouble falling, just trouble staying pregnant. I will cut back to one at 11 weeks when I get the blood test associated with the NT test, and then stop altogether after scan. Next time insist on staying on them. They don't do any harm.

Good luck ladies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissy73 View Post
    Hi ladies,
    I hope everyone is doing well and having success on their journey. We had a FET two weeks ago and got our BFP today! We are very excited as this is our 2nd IVF attempt ( and 2 prior miscarraiges ). I have a question in regards to the progesterone pessaries. Has anyone else experienced a browny discharge ( almost like old blood ) whilst using the pessaries? My IVF nurses have said it is normal for some women as the cervix may just be irritated, but I am just curious as some days it is more than others. I havent had it for the whole time, just in the last week or so.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! thank you so much!!
    First of all CONGRATS in the BFP

OH YES, this happened to me. It came out weeks after my BFP. I was horrified and I thought it was all out and it was brown and I cried and rang the nurse. But it turned out all okay.

Good luck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bebehvala For This Useful Post:

taralou  (19-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Undercover - I will insist next time for sure!! I had a blood test my hcg was 135?? I asked so I keep taking the crinone & they said no, you don't need to anymore?! I've heard of heaps of people continuing on with them...... It's like after 2 weeks it had finally all started coming out (the left over yucky bits) then when that stopped, the bleeding started

FIRST CYCLE FEB/MAR 2011
    IVF ICSI ANTAGONIST
    BFP - but sadly miscarried @ 6 weeks.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies!
    Once again, thank you for the advice! MARTTC- I was also on the Crinone the first time with IVF. It was also a positive and they told me to stop using it after the blood test to confirm I was pregnant. I assume that my progesterone levels were fine on their own and they were happy that my body was producing it on its own by then. I'm not sure why this cycle is different? Perhaps because it's a frozen cycle?? Not sure.
    UnderCoverMother - I also lay down for half hour after inserting. I was using mine at night and in the morning, however usually with only 7 or 8 hours apart ( simply because I had to get up so early for work, so I would have to do it early in the morning), and the nurse said to really try to get it as close to the 12 hours apart as possible so that my levels weren't bottoming out before the end of the next day. So I found that I had to do it again when I got home from work instead of doing it at bed time ( which was easier ).
    Bebehvala - thanks! It's just a little un-nerving isn't it?? But I don't care! As long is it is all okay... I'll put up with anything!!

Thanks so much ladies!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chrissy - did you miscarry the first pregnancy when they told you to stop the crinone also? :-/

FIRST CYCLE FEB/MAR 2011
    IVF ICSI ANTAGONIST
    BFP - but sadly miscarried @ 6 weeks.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first pregnancy was early in 2011 and I conceived naturally and miscarried. I had no meds at all. The second was in December 2011 and i miscarried in January this year. It was a fresh cycle transfer and I was told to stop the Crinone when I got the positive. I had a blighted ovum at 7 weeks :-( I had no reason to believe that it was due to low progesterone??
    What happened with you?? I'm so sorry for your loss too :-( words cannot express the sadness xxx