+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tandem feeding - what do i need to know?

So dh and i have started ttc baby #2

Meanwhile ds is 25 months and still has a feed maybe 3 - 4 times over 24 hours.

So i am not really planning on weaning him (unless he wants to) but
    I am interested in your experience with this and have some (possibly dumb) questions for you

1) did your b00bs still get sore when you were 1st pregnant?

2) did your supply drop during the pregnancy?

3) did u get more tired in the 2nd pregnancy than the first?

4) what happened when baby 2 was born? Did you get sore b00bs again ? (mine were extremely painfull 1st round)

5) does baby 2 still get colostrum (sp?) / does the composition of your milk change?

6) did you still get sore nipp1es when feeding #2 (or were they toughened from extending feeding ?)

7) anything else happen that was unexpected (bf related ) ?

Look forward to hearing from you

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    1) did your b00bs still get sore when you were 1st pregnant? Nope

2) did your supply drop during the pregnancy? Yep, but just kept feeding.

3) did u get more tired in the 2nd pregnancy than the first? Nope

4) what happened when baby 2 was born? Did you get sore b00bs again ? (mine were extremely painfull 1st round) my first child refused to feed for the first 2 weeks, I expressed and gave him bm in a cup until he came back to the breast. My nipples where a little sore both times (I've tandem fed twice) as my midwife once said, newborns have no manners lol there suck is quiet different from an older child.

5) does baby 2 still get colostrum (sp?) / does the composition of your milk change? My milk changed back to colostrum late in pregnancy so my boys got colostrum twice so lucky!

6) did you still get sore nipp1es when feeding #2 (or were they toughened from extending feeding ?) see above

7) anything else happen that was unexpected (bf related ) ? Your toddler may start to poop more often and it may go like baby poo as your colostrum comes in, don't stress over it! Also the book Adventures in Tandem feeding is great, covers pregnancy-after birth

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my boobs got very sore, and i hated feeding for about a week.
    supply has dropped (but i have health issues which affect that too) but still feeding
    im more tired, but it think its due to chasing a toddler 24/7, rather than working and then relaxing
    i can answer the rest in august

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    1) did your b00bs still get sore when you were 1st pregnant?
    yes especially the nipple area. Have to use lanisoh regularly.

2) did your supply drop during the pregnancy?
    massively - It think i almost dried up 10-15wks but still ploughing through at 30wks

3) did u get more tired in the 2nd pregnancy than the first?
    yes - much much more tired.

4) what happened when baby 2 was born? Did you get sore b00bs again ? (mine were extremely painfull 1st round)
    Let you know in June
    5) does baby 2 still get colostrum (sp?) / does the composition of your milk change?
    Let you know in June
    6) did you still get sore nipp1es when feeding #2 (or were they toughened from extending feeding ?)
    let you know in June
    7) anything else happen that was unexpected (bf related ) ?
    My DD has had more liquid-y bowels than expected plus I've gaind less weight this pregnancy - not sure if its cos im permanently nauseous. BF does make me feel ill so I need to eat just before feeding so avoid throwing up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    1) did your b00bs still get sore when you were 1st pregnant? yep

2) did your supply drop during the pregnancy? yep

3) did u get more tired in the 2nd pregnancy than the first? nup

4) what happened when baby 2 was born? Did you get sore b00bs again ? (mine were extremely painfull 1st round) nup, they got engorged in the early days but settled down again sooner than the 1st time. the let down feeling was more intense this time though

5) does baby 2 still get colostrum (sp?) / does the composition of your milk change? yep

6) did you still get sore nipp1es when feeding #2 (or were they toughened from extending feeding ?) my nipples are not toughened, but i didn't get any damage from feeding #2, maybe because i am more aware of attachment and how to avoid damage.

7) anything else happen that was unexpected (bf related ) ? colustrum type poos in the toddler when my milk came in-yuck! i also had breastfeeding aversion during the pregnancy, which was hard to deal with when i had always enjoyed feeding her.

Look forward to hearing from you [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Bubbles10; 10-04-2012 at 21:25.

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello

1) did your b00bs still get sore when you were 1st pregnant? Very sore boobies during feeding - massive physical aversions.

2) did your supply drop during the pregnancy? Yes, but came roaring back as soon as I birthed.

3) did u get more tired in the 2nd pregnancy than the first? Very much so. But that's from having a toddler I feel.

4) what happened when baby 2 was born - I got a little engorged, physical aversion remained and nipples still hurt for several weeks. Newbie fed well instantly and slept for longer periods of time as she had milk from the get go and didn't have to wait to long for it to come.

5) does baby 2 still get colostrum (sp?) / does the composition of your milk change? Yes! And it increased in supply and density.

6) did you still get sore nipp1es when feeding #2 (or were they toughened from extending feeding ?) nope, not sore from the act of feeding, more from a toddler using her teeth.

7) anything else happen that was unexpected (bf related ) ? I got Mastitis 6 weeks in. I don't feed the toddler overnight. Before bed, I feed the toddler from the side baby just fed from, so that the other side is nice and full when baby wakes up (the toddler complains that baby drinks all her milk lol). So I had been block feeding and baby slept through more than usual so my most productive side overfilled and I got Mastitis as a result!

I find juggling the supply the hardest, as I try and keep the majority of the milk for my little babe.

I hope you are able to keep going well into pregnancy and beyond!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, feeling good (as in prepared) about being able to do thanks to your replies