+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default I have a confession to make - I hate reading to DD. Will it ever get better?

As a child I LOVED my Mum reading to me at bedtime. We always had a long book we were reading, she read a chapter to me every night. I had visions of reading to my DD just like I did with my mum, but it is SO not working out like that.

I have done all the things they recommend - read to her since she was tiny, talked about the pictures, blah blah..

When she was a baby/toddler she always grabbed the book out of my hands, turned the pages before I could finish the sentence, etc.. It drove me mad but I figured it was just what babies/toddlers did. We did get past that stage, but since she could talk she asks a zillion questions about the pictures, what's happening, "why why why"... I thought we would get past that stage too but even now she is 5 she drives me insane with questions while I try to read. I know it is a good thing that she asks questions - it shows she is listening and comprehending and engaging with the text and all that.

But just for once I would like her to sit back and listen to the effing story without constantly interrupting. Is she ever likely to do that? Will it ever twig to her that if she just listens to the story most of her questions will eventually be answered? Do other kids her age do the same thing?

Thanks

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    OMG does she talk through movies too LOL sorry i had a little giggle over this. I know lots of kids like that, it's real fun when they come to story time! I think the best thing to do is just go with it, and not expect a "traditional" story telling session. A good answer to the why questions is "well i don't know, let's find out" or turning it back on them "why do YOU think" etc. Maybe also try limiting the questions to once a page. When you turn the page don't let her ask any questions about the pictures until you've read the text, then let her rip. Maybe have a rule that only the person holding the book can speak, so once you've finished reading a page she can hold the book and ask questions.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (10-04-2012),shelle65  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry but it hasn't got any better here my dd is 7 next month even when she is reading a book she asks a million questions I just keep saying maybe if you read further the book might tell you and stop talking and read its very painful

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 2pink 1on way For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Fearless Leader, yes she talks pretty much all the time, movies are no exception lol.

Thanks heaps for your suggestions, will see if they help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2pink 1on way View Post
    Sorry but it hasn't got any better here my dd is 7 next month even when she is reading a book she asks a million questions I just keep saying maybe if you read further the book might tell you and stop talking and read its very painful
    Bugger! Haha oh well I guess it's a good thing having an inquisitive child, even though it drives us round the bend

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm similar to you and my dd asks a zillion questions too (she's 3). I allow her a few questions now, but at night before bed it can take too long and it makes her lights out time very late if I answer them all.
    So now I say at the start that I am going to read and she is going to listen. If she interrupts with too many questions I will close the book.
    DD is extrmemely good at controlling herself when I put this rule upfront at the start of a book..

I do tell her also that if she wants to ask all those questions, wait til the morning and ask me then when I have more time to answer.

She never remembers to!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (10-04-2012)

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Can you try introducing some before-during-after reading strategies with her?

Before During After strategies

It might help to set the framework of the book and stop so many questions...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It never got better for me. I always hated it. I discovered audio books so when my daughter was 4 - 5 I would put those on for her. She still likes to listen to them as she goes off to sleep.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to beancounter For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Does it happen all the time? I find my ds is a lot harder to read to when he's tired or overstimulated. If he keeps asking questions like "what page number is this Mummy?" "How many pages are in this book Mummy (then turn to the back page to see!)", etc I know he's not engaged in the story & I stop.

He's gone through phases of interupting and if he's bored with a story he'll interupt more. Interactive books like books where you have to find things are great to add to story time every now & again - that's when you want your dd to talk

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids ask lots of questions and interrupt too. Sometimes we just tell them a quick made up story or if they are really interrupting, get them to tell us a story. They come up with some great stuff.