+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Whoops, sorry, I think I misunderstood you! I asked you where you get the idea that god says not to question hom, and you quoted the 2nd commandment, and said that some religions no longer follow this. I said that the second commandment has nothing to do with questioning god, it is about worshipping false idols. Did you mean something different to how I understood it? I think that, whether your religion takes the scripture you quoted ad relevant and important or not, it still doesn't have anything to do with not questioning god.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Whoops, sorry, I think I misunderstood you! I asked you where you get the idea that god says not to question hom, and you quoted the 2nd commandment, and said that some religions no longer follow this. I said that the second commandment has nothing to do with questioning god, it is about worshipping false idols. Did you mean something different to how I understood it? I think that, whether your religion takes the scripture you quoted ad relevant and important or not, it still doesn't have anything to do with not questioning god.
    Define a 'false god/idol'?

(my interpretation of that is 'any other god besides the Judeo-christian god')

So to worship any other god on offer at the time would be a form of 'questioning your chosen god' or disobeying your chosen god [or in the case of children, your parents' chosen god.

False = wrong
    False = alternate
    False = not our rules or law

So it's like saying 'if you don't follow ME, you'll suffer the consequences.

Question = doubt
    Question = have issue with

(I wasn't meaning it in the sense 'ask him a question so you get a reply')

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Define a 'false god/idol'?(my interpretation of that is 'any other god besides the Judeo-christian god')So to worship any other god on offer at the time would be a form of 'questioning your chosen god' or disobeying your chosen god [or in the case of children, your parents' chosen god.False = wrongFalse = alternateFalse = not ourSo it's like saying 'if you don't follow ME, you'll suffer the consequences.Question = doubtQuestion = have issue with(I wasn't meaning it in the sense 'ask him a question so you get a reply')
    Ah ok, I understand now what you were saying!I don't think the 2nd commandment is commonly interpreted to mean that we will be punished if we question God. It simply means don't worship other gods. I'm not quite sure of the Jewish perspective, but from a Christian perspective, the purpose of Jesus dying on the cross was to take punishment for our sins - so the punishments for disobedience that are spoken of in the old testament are not given to us as Christians, because Jesus took the punishment for us.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    well you might wanna pass that on to all the thousands of families doing it 'incorrectly'

Obviously you have your own 'personal faith' Des.
    Gladly

(I wasn't meaning it in the sense 'ask him a question so you get a reply')
    Well I was. Questioning God to me is....asking something...anything! Not worshipping false idols - what the??? Odd! I've never heard that interpretation before. In my opinion if you're worshipping other Gods then you're done questioning a God you don't believe in. There are no more questions....you're simply not worshipping the Almighty simple as that.

When I question God, I'm asking HIM for clarification...not a man...not some guy behind the pulpit...not my parents and not some other God or graven image that I don't even believe in. I'm asking HIM....how that can then equate to worshipping other Gods is beyond me sorry.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    exactly Regina - you are lucky enough to have born into a generation of a culture located in a specific place in the world that has tweaked the story that way.

Not all are the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    GladlyWell I was. Questioning God to me is....asking something...anything! Not worshipping false idols - what the??? Odd! I've never heard that interpretation before. In my opinion if you're worshipping other Gods then you're done questioning a God you don't believe in. There are no more questions....you're simply not worshipping the Almighty simple as that.When I question God, I'm asking HIM for clarification...not a man...not some guy behind the pulpit...not my parents and not some other God or graven image that I don't even believe in. I'm asking HIM....how that can then equate to worshipping other Gods is beyond me sorry.
    ...yeah, what she said. Lol. You put it better than I did!Sorry fitb, if my answers are sounding 'abrupt', I'm on my phone & can never articulate myself as well as when I'm on the computer

Thanks
    Reviews
    exactly Regina - you are lucky enough to have born into a generation of a culture located in a specific place in the world that has tweaked the story that way.Not all are the same.
    But was 'don't worship false idols' ever interpreted as 'don't question god?' The only time in history that I can think of where questioning was discouraged was during the time of alignment between church & state, where the pope and bishops had a huge amount of political power, and corruptly used that power to decieve people into believing incorrect things about god? And at a time where most people could not read the bible, so they were unable to question what they did not know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry mine are sounding abrupt too...I just read back. Don't mean it too. I'd just got back from the shops where I was almost squished by a semi trailer so my nerves are shot right now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    and good for you Des...

You obviously don't follow like some people do.
    Your 'love filled' interpretation of an authoritive order is different to some.

if something is open to interpretation, like this collection of religious writings - then ofcourse you are going to get variations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    But was 'don't worship false idols' ever interpreted as 'don't question god?' The only time in history that I can think of where questioning was discouraged was during the time of alignment between church & state, where the pope and bishops had a huge amount of political power, and corruptly used that power to decieve people into believing incorrect things about god? And at a time where most people could not read the bible, so they were unable to question what they did not know.
    And cults....like the one I grew up in. Actually they never told me an scriptural reference to the non questioning thing....it was just taught.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (11-04-2012)