+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the difference here is in fundamental belief. Atheists think that there is no such thing as hell and see that telling a child of this is child abuse and perhaps for you it is because you don't believe there is a hell.
    For believers it is a very real thing, the afterlife (heaven and hell) so telling our children this truth is very natural to us. Preparation for death is a part of life for me and I will be teaching my children this and they in turn will discover this for themselves.
    And yes - children do not go to hell. so I will never need to tell my children this.

And speaking of the Q & A audience. They were actually quite balanced if u note the applause for points made by each speaker. The laughs were for Dawkin's really dumb ramblings like his explanation of nothingness which is why he got ****ed off... Pell spoke way more intelligently imo.. But yes, I'm Biased!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post

And speaking of the Q & A audience. They were actually quite balanced if u note the applause for points made by each speaker. The laughs were for Dawkin's really dumb ramblings like his explanation of nothingness which is why he got ****ed off... Pell spoke way more intelligently imo.. But yes, I'm Biased!
    -- try to explain 'nothing'

I'd like to hear a smart (as opposed to 'dumb' rambling) answer please.

some science jargon (as much as I love it) goes way over my head too... people studying and examining the cosmos have to deal with dimensions we struggle to fathom. matter, anti matter, black holes/ vacuums.
    The terminologoy has different meaning to our own 'layman' definition - this is what Dawkins was eloquently explaining when he got rudely laughed at.

Sorry but a man who says we evolved from Neanderthals, and then asks why aren't Neanderthals around today - is clearly not 'way more intelligent'.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 10-04-2012 at 19:13.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (10-04-2012),Witwicky  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Rocker - I'm not atheist, not religious either, but I certainly don't believe in hell, despite being raised a catholic and going to catholic school for 9 years.

I think it's a horrible concept to try and explain to children. Leave it out until they are old enough to understand a bit more. I remember having to lie to the priest when I was forced to go to confession just so I could confess something.

There was a thread on here the other day about a 3 year old who thought the crucifix was in her bed. She attended a Christian school and had learned about Easter there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Yes, you certainly are because the rambling wasn't from Dawkins. And Pell made basic scientific errors, Very common, obvious, high school errors. That's not intelligence.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah I agree with the others.

I would have preferred it, if Dawkins had been paired with someone a little closer in the brain department.
    Was dissapointing that Pell could not get some basic stuff.

I like Pell but he is hardly an intellectual.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pell never claimed to have a scientific background but Dawkins the science brain was rambling about his own subject. Anyway we disagree - so be it! Lolz

Confession is a humbling act and if you really thought about it, I'm sure there are many "sins" we all can confess, whether it be as an adult or 10 year old. We can always do better and be prayerful and thoughtful about improving ourselves. Before u all start jumping at me, yes it can be achieved by other means of course, but for Catholics we're given perfect opportunity to be reflective on out life and attempt to work towards making it better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You must be! Dawkins description of anti matter in relation to nothingness was not dumb. A basic understanding of particle physics will tell you that. It's hard to have a proper debate with someone with a more limited intellectual ability which was blatantly obvious last night.
    I've seen better intellectual debates on BH between FiveInTheBed and Lily of the Nile, most definitely!
    Last edited by babyla; 10-04-2012 at 19:32.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'm not sure, but I do suspect the kinds of parents who use this as a threat are the kinds who would emotionally abuse their children anyway... with or without the mention of hell.

I do agree that it's unnecessary to tell a child they're going to hell - to many children, life is black and white, and what a horrible thing for them to believe when they're too little to challenge those comments. Too little know that perhaps hell doesn't even exist, that hell may not be as their parents say it is, perhaps their "sins" are not "hell-worthy," etc. If your parent says you're going there, then you are, as far as you know as a little child... and what a horrible thing for a small child to believe.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (10-04-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Pell never claimed to have a scientific background but Dawkins the science brain was rambling about his own subject. Anyway we disagree - so be it! Lolz

Confession is a humbling act and if you really thought about it, I'm sure there are many "sins" we all can confess, whether it be as an adult or 10 year old. We can always do better and be prayerful and thoughtful about improving ourselves. Before u all start jumping at me, yes it can be achieved by other means of course, but for Catholics we're given perfect opportunity to be reflective on out life and attempt to work towards making it better.
    There was a lot of rambling going on, that's for sure. It was coming from Pell though. I don't think he actually answered any questions without going off on an unrelated tangent.

I think the difference here is in fundamental belief. Atheists think that there is no such thing as hell and see that telling a child of this is child abuse and perhaps for you it is because you don't believe there is a hell.
    For believers it is a very real thing, the afterlife (heaven and hell) so telling our children this truth is very natural to us. Preparation for death is a part of life for me and I will be teaching my children this and they in turn will discover this for themselves.
    And yes - children do not go to hell. so I will never need to tell my children this.

I thought Pell was really quite ignorant...some of his comments were a bit gobsmacking to be honest. I have heard much better discussions from other religious individuals, it's a shame that he was representing that side of the debate because he made it all look really quite silly.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

babyla  (10-04-2012),FiveInTheBed  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    it's a shame that he was representing that side of the debate because he made it all look really quite silly.
    Spot on! It kept going through my head.. 'this can't be the best they've got...'