+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it could be psychologically damaging. Similar to how one of my partner's relatives told their children they would put them outside with the dingos if they did not behave. It's using excessively frightening (and often irrational) consequences for behaviour.

Although my partner had a go at me for telling our 3yo that if he touched the mower, then it might chop his hands off. But I thought that was okay as it's an actual consequence of touching the mower while in operation. We had the same conversation when I told our son the fan blades would chop his fingers off. Anyway, sometimes it's a fine line.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    and good for you Des...

You obviously don't follow like some people do.
    Your 'love filled' interpretation of an authoritive order is different to some.

if something is open to interpretation, like this collection of religious writings - then ofcourse you are going to get variations.
    I steer clear of religion these days....even organisational institutional businesses they call 'church'. I won't be brainwashed by man's interpretations anymore....no way no how!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    From the 10 commandments;

“... For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, ..."
    I just read that and realised the true horror of it. So if your great great grandfather worshipped a false God, you are doomed. I am a strong believer in individual autonomy and dont believe the children should be held accountable for the sins of their parents (or ancestors).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    I just read that and realised the true horror of it. So if your great great grandfather worshipped a false God, you are doomed. I am a strong believer in individual autonomy and dont believe the children should be held accountable for the sins of their parents (or ancestors).
    Not anymore as Christ was sent to set us free from the law of sin and death. Christ was made a 'curse' for us thereby making all 'curses' (sins being passed down) obsolete.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm logging off for now.

but,ofcourse - (damn my interest in this subject ) would be up for discussing further, either in this thread or in another.

The 2nd comm. can be taken at face value, but if you look deeper and pull it apart you may find that is was written at a time when people where surrounded by past and present existing and 'extinct' relgions...all of which had a 'symbol' of some sort to represent their god/s (gods in the case of polytheism which was around)
    Commanding that people don't make graven images of him makes 'him', their god invisable - more difficult to be 'touched' or dismantled.
    From what I have heard from a bible scholar (I'll find her name) El the God of the canaanites he was represented in human form and sat above all the other gods.
    He pretty much had a make over to be 'invisable' and not to have his name (El, Yahweh) spoken.

So when it talks about there being 'none before him or after'...it's (in my interpretation, is saying, 'yep there was all these other gods but now THIS one is the best, and if you don't follow then look out'

'Hell' aswell I think has had 'makeovers' and has gone from meaning 'grave' (the place in teh ground where you lay when you are dead. - 'shoal') ..to a firely burning inferno.

and ofcourse, like I have already acknowledged - this has varied, grown, evolved and become something else 2000+ years on.

When Richard Dawkins was talking he wasn't referring to individual faiths - (he has in an interview said he has no issue with individual who simply thinks there may be something out there -- but more the groups of people that use these writings in an ugly way.

Guest Guest
    Religion is open for interpretation, just like your quoting bits of the old testament and interpreting them in your own way. Christianity is one of the simplest religions imo, I don't think Jesus could of simplified anymore for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Religion is open for interpretation, just like your quoting bits of the old testament and interpreting them in your own way. Christianity is one of the simplest religions imo, I don't think Jesus could of simplified anymore for us.

Believe in Jesus! How hard is it. The commandments were even condensed down to TWO and the 'works' was condenced down to ONE work. The rest, in my opinion, is just anacdotal accounts of how we got there (OT) and how peeps adjusted to the new covenant, and all the teething problems with that.

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'll top it, I've heard an extended-family member tell their sobbing five year old that when their dog dies, it will go to hell forever, because God didn't give animals souls, He gave their empty bodies to mankind to use for whatever they want, like chairs or clothes.

THAT is child abuse and, somewhere buried deep, animal abuse too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Deleted double post
    Last edited by ShanandBoc; 11-04-2012 at 17:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Deleted double post
    Last edited by ShanandBoc; 11-04-2012 at 17:05.