+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Telling a child they are going to hell - is this child abuse?

On the show Q&A, they had Cardinal George Pell and Richard Dawkins (atheist) engaging in a discussion regarding the existence of a god.

Dawkins commented that he believes it is child abuse to tell a child that they will go to hell if they sin. I found this rather interesting, as I wholeheartedly believe that it is cruel and unnecessary to frighten a child in this manner.

When I first learnt about the concept of hell as a child, it absolutely terrified me - I was young and innocent but the concept of possibly being separated from my family after death used to really frighten me. I find it interesting that some parents are careful about their kids watching scary movies or hearing scary stories stories, but are happy to tell them about hell and about Jesus being murdered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh, I wish I'd known Dawkins was on there, that man is amazing
    I'm not sure I'd call it child abuse (that just sounds so extreme...), but it's definitely something I would never do. Not just because I don't believe in it, but because it's pure scare tactics, and I don't know why anyone would want to do that to a child
    Threatening a child is awful under any circumstances, but come on! I think teaching a child that they'll burn in hell for eternity if they do the wrong thing has to take the cake

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nicoletta For This Useful Post:

Clarabelle  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hmmm. I don't believe it's child a use as such, but I don't think it's something children should be taught. It's a horrifying concept, and children lack the ability to determine what's a sin, or 'hell worthy'. I would be p!ssed off if my son gets taught about hell from school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would class it as emotional abuse and as it stands emotional abuse can fall under child abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to smootch For This Useful Post:

Eko  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It could be used as a tool of emotional abuse.

Dawkins is an arrogant asshat. He really annoys me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    It could be used as a tool of emotional abuse.

Dawkins is an arrogant asshat. He really annoys me.
    Haha, he seemed extra cranky tonight. I still like him though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i think it is damaging to the development of a child.

an abuse of power, and a form of emotional abuse.

I don't think in this modern age many people threaten their children with that anymore [some live by it..but it is not as common anymore]

ETA>> I could sit an listen to Dawkins all night
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 09-04-2012 at 22:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think I'd call it abuse but it is definitely one of my major reasons for not wanting DD to be overtly exposed to religious teachings. I remember as a child being terrified that because my family didn't believe in God that they would all go to hell (thanks to school...public school). I would pray for them every night.

As an adult who has looked at the evidence I now believe it is all BS but I don't think a child can rationally weigh up the evidence to decide what is the truth so I prefer she isn't exposed to it until she has that level of rational thinking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a slight twist on the idea that distressed my older daughters (when they were young) significantly.

My daughters (primary school aged) were attending Girls Brigade and Sunday School and learning about God there. My athiest mother however objected to any mention they made by responding that she didn't believe in it so she was going to hell.

So here we have little children and their much-loved Nana tells them she disagrees with their religeon and therefore will be going to hell. This was very distressing to my young girls and I didn't know how to comfort them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    I have a slight twist on the idea that distressed my older daughters (when they were young) significantly.

My daughters (primary school aged) were attending Girls Brigade and Sunday School and learning about God there. My athiest mother however objected to any mention they made by responding that she didn't believe in it so she was going to hell.

So here we have little children and their much-loved Nana tells them she disagrees with their religeon and therefore will be going to hell. This was very distressing to my young girls and I didn't know how to comfort them.
    Wow. That is horrible! It's amazing how people don't think before opening their mouths around children

As for telling a child they could go to hell (or heaven for that matter) I feel it is definitely wrong!