+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Home Birth?

Ive just been reading about home birthing. It sounds interesting to me so I just wanted to know if there is any ladies out there who have home birthed..what was your experience like? How did you go about getting a home birth? If you have birthed in a hospital and at home which experience did you prefer? Thanks for any information ladies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I birthed 3 babies at home followed by one at hospital. All the births were different (funnily enough!)

DD1 -- husband's idea to have a homebirth. I was a bit unsure at first but after doing a bit of research was convinced it was the best way to go. The birth was very relaxed and 'natural'. (I didn't realise how much so until after DD2's birth.) I just let my body do what it had to do and everything ran smoothly. I remember thinking "when does the pain get so bad that I'm begging for pain relief??" Overall, a beautiful, empowering experience.

DD2 -- planned homebirth again. Labour ran very differently. Had a 16 month old at the birth -- she reacted badly which interfered with me working with my body. Hadn't properly connected with my support person or midwife = lack of trust. Expectations had been set that the labour would be quicker than first so I didn't rest when I could have and ended up exhausted. I didn't realise that monitoring was routine during labour (midwives hadn't arrived until after I'd started pushing with DD) so when they were monitoring every couple of contractions I thought something must be wong and I was waiting for them to tell me I'd need a caesar! = my worst nightmare = fear = not an ideal emotion during labour!) And I gave my control to the midwives thinking they were the "experts" when it came to my birthing body -- WRONG! All that added together caused bub to get stuck (shoulder dystocia -- only slightly) so after she was born we were transferred to hospital (only overnight).
    I learnt ALOT about how I birth from that experience so when I was pregnant for the third time I knew EXACTLY what I would be happy with and what I wouldn't.

DS -- Pregnancy was full of political dramas. It was around the time that the new legislation for independent midwives came into being and everyone was being super cautious. Another planned homebirth -- insured that all the things that were "wrong" with DD2's birth would not be issues this time around. Had a BEAUTIFUL labour and birthed an 11lb bubba as easily (almost) as DD1 (7lb 3oz). Sadly, bub didn't stay with us. We lost him 2 days later -- nothing to do with his homebirth, though.

DD3 -- because of DD2 and DS, I was classed as "high risk"and to avoid any contention, we made the decision to birth in hospital, but it had to be MY way. We spent alot of time in negotiations with the hospital and it paid off -- they were pretty much hands off and everything went well. But it was no homebirth!!

In my opinion, homebirth beats hospital birth hands down every time -- one is in one's own surroundings (= more relaxed, more secure), don't have to worry about when to go to hospital, one has an established relationship with one's midwife (if one is smart) so everyone knows what "the deal" is, one gets to avoid all those unnecessary interventions, etc.

My GP gave me the name and number of an independent midwife when I was pregnant with DD1. Had the same midwife for DD2 and half of DS pregnancy, then searched for a replacement on the internet. It took a while to find the right one for the job.

Sorry for the long post. Hope I've adequately answered your questions. Happy to answer any further questions you have. I'm sure there will be some other ladies on here happy to comment also.

If you are wanting a homebirth and everything is going well with your pregnancy, I absolutely recommend birthing at home.

Wishing you an amazing birth!
    Last edited by kbf2plus2; 09-04-2012 at 23:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for replying and thanks for the information!! Im so sorry to hear about the loss of your son Im not pregnant yet just researching my options..I think Im liking the idea of a home birth!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD1 - hospital birth but minimal interference

DD2 - breech hospital birth, injected with something unrecorded and episiotomy and forceps used without even informing me (let along asking consent).

DD3 - accidental homebirth, ambulance assisted, transfer to hospital to birth placenta.

DD4 - as DD3

DD5 - born unassisted in the hallway of the hospital, then continue on to the birthing suite to birth the placenta.

DD6 - attempted freebirth, transferred to hospital but born enroute in ambulance.

DD7 - planned homebirth - perfect textbook birth, and midwife arrive 30 minutes later, just after the placenta came.

-----------

My experience was that the less interference from the hospital the better. After two accidental homebirths I decided that was a better way to go and intended to deliberately wait until it was too late to transfer to call the ambulance, but my husband wouldn't believe me that labour hadn't started and called the ambulance when I was in the shower. The gas delayed the labour during the trip, but was withdrawn for the transferral inside, at which point there was no stopping the labour, which is why she was born unassisted in the hospital hallway.

With DD6 and a new father, I was insistent on a homebirth. I researched freebirth and decided that was the way to go. My first five births had been quick and easy (exception DD2 breech) so I didn't think I would have a problem. My backup plan was to call an ambulance for pain relief (gas) if it got too bad, but didn't expect to need it. Unfortunately for me, unlike my previous births (averaging one hour each) this one lasted two days, including six hours of severe pain. I called the ambulance and was told they no longer carried gas and all they were interested in was pressuring me to agree to go to the hospital. They finally gave me one form of pain relief (via an inhaler) but insisted I could not take it in a squatting position and had to lie on my back. I believe it was just a ruse, but the lack of control caused by both the medication and undesireable position resulted in me giving up and agreeing to the transfer. During the trip, the waters ruptured, so the ambulance pulled over and she was born immediately. It is my opinion that the waters not rupturing earlier was the problem, and if I had hired a midwife she could've attended to this detail.

Thus for DD7, I enlisted the aid of a midwife. This was my intention from the start of the pregnancy, but it kept getting put off, and first contact with her was when I was six days overdue. Less than twelve hours later my daughter was born. Thus we missed out on the existing relationship with the midwife that most homebirths will enjoy. I waited until transition before calling her, and my daughter was born eight minutes later. Another thirty minutes passed and the placenta was birthed, just as the midwife pulled up. That was the point that I didn't know what to do, so the timing of her arrival was perfect. Unfortunately there are legal requirements for the midwife to stay for four hours after the birth, and I found this most intrusive (through no fault of hers).
    Last edited by sweetseven; 10-04-2012 at 00:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought about homebirth for my first, but decided i would go with what others wanted and went to hospital. No good. I was held down and assaulted by medical staff during labour.

Had a homebirth for my second. Best. decision. ever! My baby and I were safe. My older child didn't have to go anywhere, or have me leave her for a few days. I put her to sleep when i was in early labour, and when she woke in the middle of the night she came into the loungeroom and met her little brother and then went back to bed. My baby was born in a birthpool in my kitchen. I was the first to touch her, and she stayed in my arms and then my husband's.

I did not have any internal examinations, monitoring was not needed, anything that was done i was asked if it was ok. I got to know my midwife duing the pregnancy, and she knew what i wanted and how my husband and i worked. She knew my daughter and my daughter knew her, so she wasn't a stranger by the time of the birth.

The first time, I thought that if i knew what i wanted and had a supportive partner, i could do ok with a hospital birth. I learnt that it is such a gamble because you never know who you are going to have on the day.

Think about what you want in your midwife. Talk to a few before choosing one, so that they are a good fit for you and your family.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My first birth was a hospital birth with 7 people watching because they wanted to see a natural birth, I had my waters broken at 8:30am, used the shower/bath & gas until around midday then I was told to get out, spent 1.5 hours pushing with all those people watching, was very traumatic for me. I am a sexual abuse survivor and the entire time I was pushing I was totally petrified I felt exactly the way I did when I was being abused, after my son was born I was so detached I didn't even care I just wanted to get up and go shower it took me 6 weeks to even begin to bond with him and 8 months before I received treatment for my PND by that stage I was pregnant with my second child.

2 birth, I stumbled across the idea of homebirth here on bubhub and knew it was for me, I applied to my cities community midwives program at 16 weeks (wasn't accepted until 26 weeks as they were fully booked but they had a late cancellation in the end). I went into labour at 1:30am and my 2nd son was born at 6:04pm my midwife arrived at midday and my backup midwife joined her around 3:30pm. I was offered a vaginal exam just before 6pm and my midwife offered to break my waters, I took a contraction to think about it and agreed willingly he was born 4 min later. This birth was by far my most empowering, I felt I could do anything after it I felt that instant love it gave me back what I lost with my first birth.

My 3rd birth was a planned freebirth, this was my hardest pregnancy I had decided that we would only seek medical assistance if we needed it, I didn't feel like we needed any prenatal care. I had morning sickness from about 6 weeks until I gave birth, nothing drastic just that constant I need to vomit feeling, which often ended in me vomiting lol. I had the 20 week anomaly scan and they detected a low lying placenta I had some spotting later on and I sought help from my cities major public maternity hospital which was fine they couldn't give me a reason for the bleeding a scan showed my placenta had moved up and away from my cervix. I went to 41+5 with this babe and I also went for some monitoring at 41+1 at the same hospital which was all good. The day I gave birth I visited an independent midwife at her clinic and she was very nice found bubs heartbeat so we knew she was happy she told me to go home and have a baby which is basically exactly what I did, got home had a nap for a few hours and woke in labour this birth was very much a get this baby out of me birth my contractions started at 2:30pm and she was born at 10:28pm, I learnt a lot with this birth, the responsibility you carry when you decided not to hand that over to another person is huge feeling myself dialate my baby decend was amazing it gave me so much strength to just keep going when she was born I was so glad it was over and I knew she would be my last babe she gave me strength so much strength to just be me.

Both of my births at home where painful both times I just wished I could escape be rescued but both times I learnt so much they really gave me the best springboard into motherhood. I try not to wish away my first birth it got me where I am today and for that I am thankful what I regret the most is the effect that birth had on my relationship with my first child I morn those first 8 months because I cant remember them apart from a few snap shots aided by photos, it was hell and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy I really wouldn't.

I do sometimes wish I'd stayed home the first time though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I have two children. One was a hospital birth in 09 and just 3 weeks ago I had a planned home water birth. Which was the best experience of my life!!!
    DD1: 60 hr traumatic labour with a transfer from the birth centre to delivery ward Very botched epidural resulting in a horrendous headache and needing a blood patch to rectify. Ended up with an episiotomy and forcep delivery. Baby was taken from me for hours after the birth. I swore I would never allow myself and my baby to be treated in such horrible ways ever again.

DD 2: 3hr 47min labour at home. We went through a hospital home birth program (so free) and had amazing care and fabulous midwives. This birth was sooooo intense but at no point did I feel like I needed pain relief. The birth was exactly as I wanted and was the most joyful and empowering as well as healing moment of my life. DD2 was 9 pound and I did receive a second degree tear (exactly along the scar line of my episiotomy).

We are not going to have any more babies but if I did I would only birth at home. Wishing you the best of luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So many women find homebirth because of traumatic hospital births
    I am one of them too.

My DD was a 24 hour labour in hospital - I had the works, gas, pethidine, epidural. The 'midwife' (hated her) decided she had had enough of attending to me and said the baby had to come out right.now. so some OB I had never met came in and examined me, gave me an episiotomy and pulled DD out with the vacuum so roughly she had severe damage to her head and brain. All with no warning, asking or permission. It was... Awful is not a bad enough word to describe it. I remember kind of coming to a couple of hours after the birth... The drugs wore off and I realised it was 3 in the morning, I was alone and there was a baby in the crib beside me.

When I fell pregnant with DS I knew I wanted it to be completely different... His pregnancy was a dream and his birth was the best experience of my life, this probably sounds so cliche but it changed me as a woman. 5 hours, at home, just me and DH cuddling and swaying most of the time. I got in the pool just before transition and my midwives arrived while I was pushing. He was born in our dining room and caught by DH. The entire time I was wondering when it was going to get worse and couldn't believe I was pushing because it wasn't anywhere near the pain of DD's labour. We dont want another baby anytime soon but I will never go back to hospital for pregnancy or birth if I don't need to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for sharing your experiences ladies If you decide to do home water birth and youre in a rental house do you need to get permission? And can anyone have a home birth or do you need to have a low risk pregnancy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by starflame View Post
    Thank you so much for sharing your experiences ladies If you decide to do home water birth and youre in a rental house do you need to get permission? And can anyone have a home birth or do you need to have a low risk pregnancy?
    Legally your landlords aren't involved at all. Obviously if you cause damage you're liable, but that's pretty rare I recon (ruptured birth pool would be the only damage I could think of)
    So no. Don't tell them

I recon someon else will be able to explain the risk scale and how it depends on the model/midwife better than I :-)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post:

starflame  (11-04-2012)