+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Best way to clean wooden floor boards??

Hi everyone! Im moving into a new place that has brand new wooden floorboards in every room . All the old places I've lived in have had carpet or/and tiles but no floor borads. So this is new for me.I wanted to know what the best way to clean and maintain them?? Vacuum the dust and than mop?? Or is steam mop better?? What chemical should I use to clean?? can i mixup something myself??I'm totally naive as to different type of floorboards so have no idea what type these are ..
    Last edited by OS&N; 10-04-2012 at 07:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had jarrah floorboards and used a steam mop. I heard metho and hot water is very good too. I used to vacuum often.
    Last edited by hopefully2; 09-04-2012 at 21:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies!!! Can I ask how much of metho and water you mix??? Is metho available from woolies,coles,etc??

Missie_mack... what is pledge mop??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use Aldi's cheap windex they come up shiny and pretty

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use just a plain steam cleaner. It always comes up great!

Oh, and I vacuum ALL the time too - every day or two.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If they are the polished solid timber floors you cannot use a mop, or lots of water. That will eventually cause them to swell and become damaged. I vacuum mine, then I wipe them with floor wipes and I have a diluted floor spray I spray them with as well. I don't use lots of water or an actual mop soaked in water. That's what I was advised to do in our new home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    If they are the polished solid timber floors you cannot use a mop, or lots of water. That will eventually cause them to swell and become damaged. I vacuum mine, then I wipe them with floor wipes and I have a diluted floor spray I spray them with as well. I don't use lots of water or an actual mop soaked in water. That's what I was advised to do in our new home.
    If they are polished or varnished then it is fine to use water, just a no-no on unpolished or un sealed timber floors

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I had floor boards I used Pledge Wood Magic (from Woolies) in boiling hot water so it dries fast, and used a squeegee type mop. It used very little water and left them streak free!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kezanazz View Post
    If they are polished or varnished then it is fine to use water, just a no-no on unpolished or un sealed timber floors
    Interesting. Because I've wondered about using steam mop. I'm going to have to investigate why I was told this. My mum has similar floor to me and she was told same thing about no water. I'm glad this thread was posted because I've always wondered!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh thanks TamTam for that great information!! See, these are the type of things a naive person like me needs to know !! I'll check with realestate as to whether floorboards are polished or not!