+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Ant rant!

We bought this house when I was pregnant, we moved in and so did the ants! They are little to medium sized black ants and they do bite. I was so sick of waking up finding them all over my body It made me more depressed thinking about what they could do to bub.

We tried everything the internet says, indoor & outdoor. Spray bought from Bunnings, Safeway etc. that says protection up to 6 months only work for like half an hour. I sprinkled cinnamon, pepper, eucalyptus oil, cloves, chilli... they seemed confused at first but then just resumed their line! Borax mixed with sugar/jam/meat..., ant chalk, antrid, ant powder, bifenthrin ,etc... we tried it all. In the end I just put baby powder around our bed legs, put double sided sticky tape on bub's bassinet & cot legs. But since DS is getting more mobile around the house now, I can't use baby powder on the floor anymore because he can inhale it. They climb on sticky tape over dust and dead bodies of other ants

We hired a pest control company, they put traps indoor & outdoor, sprinkled something on the roof where the ants always go through, spray, etc... 3 months warranty and we already called them to come back couple of times, it just doesn't work!

On a hot day which is everyday here where I live, they swam into the house. I don't know what they want but definitely not food. They get into weird things like my (clean) disposable breast pads, nappies, closet, air conditioner, electricity socket, my laptop,... I don't want to spend money on pesticide products anymore because nothing works. I just spray soapy water, vinegar, glass cleaner or whatever available just to drown them. Sometimes if I find a nest in the garden I give them a whole kettle of boiled water.

Seriously thinking about selling the house but DH says it's the whole area, you can't escape. I'm just so over waking up everyday making soapy spray bottles and boil water to kill ants, searching crazily through DS's body each time he cries to make sure it's not an ant bite, check each and every nappy to make sure the little buggers are not in there!!!!

Sorry for the long rant, I need to let it out somewhere

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you used ant rid. Every time I've had ants it has worked a treat!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow that sounds really bad. Certainly sounds like you have covered all the bases.

Thanks
    Reviews

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    That sounds so stressful, I don't really know what else to suggest, I think you may have tried it all
    Do your neighbors have the same problem? Maybe a neighbouthood type blitz might work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes i have used antrid. I think it's basically borax.

Hi biscotti i only talked to 1 neighbour and she said they have ants in the garden but rarely in the house. Haven't talked to others, maybe never will since they don't seem to want to have a conversation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nothing like a good ant rant!
    Sorry- I couldn't help myself!
    What a frustrating problem to have. My mums house is often swarmed with ants but luckily they tend to stay on the outside most of the time. You would think having professionals in to deal with the problem would have helped. Have you researched the ants themselves to see if theres anything they don't like or why they might be targeting your house? Perhaps a second opinion from another pest control company would help??? I hope you get the little sucker under control!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have ants at our place too and my uncle has recommended something called Cislin. You need to go to a poison place for it but apparently a few drops on and around the nest will wipe them out in a day or so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We came home one day to ten of thousands of them in every inch of the place. Find the nest . I found it in a random box on the back of a bit of paper. Heaps of eggs. I used ant rid too. Trails of it around the house and near all signs of them entering the house. Gone!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I was told to use orange power i think its called from someone who used to work in the pest control industry. We had them really bad. I had pest control done in feb and only kver last 2wks i havent seen them in the 2 rooms they are always in.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub