+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jake's mum View Post
    No worries :-) they are great. And pomegranate molasses is yum! I have some at home. I have some middle eastern cookbooks that use it a fair bit. Iraqi cooking uses it heaps and it's so yum and healthy and different. Shame they all use nuts and sesame seeds so much though :-( I miss nuts so much.
    Omg my SIL went to Oasis bakery on your recommendation and just sent me up the massa flour, a tortilla press, some pomegranate molasses and "Archie's blend " ( lsa, flax seed, chia seed mix) she is a nutritionist and said she spent an hour in their shop and is love ! I can't wait to go there next time I go down, thanks again for the recommendation! I'm
    Off to the kitchen to make tortillas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Omg my SIL went to Oasis bakery on your recommendation and just sent me up the massa flour, a tortilla press, some pomegranate molasses and "Archie's blend " ( lsa, flax seed, chia seed mix) she is a nutritionist and said she spent an hour in their shop and is love ! I can't wait to go there next time I go down, thanks again for the recommendation! I'm
    Off to the kitchen to make tortillas!
    That's great, happy to hear :-) they are awesome, it's like a combination of a deli, several ethnic shops and a health food shop all in one :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi all I have just ordered sue's book and am in the process of eliminating preservatives and colours etc.
    I am finding that most of the products i already buy are free.
    I have a question, when people say they noticed a big change what were the main products you avoided?

So far I have to change margarines, sliced cheese and cordial (DS drinks water all day but 1/4 glass cordial with dinner.)

My wonder white bread seems to be free unless I am not reading it properly.

What do you think of a2 milk versus normal milk?
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 20-06-2012 at 10:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Was just thinking of coming and posting back in this thread with an update, so nice to see a new post.

When we first changed to additive free the biggest things we changed were margarine to Nuttelex or pure butter, our bread, changed our spreads eg jam, vegemite, PB. Changed our snack food to homemade only, changed our veges and as much meat as possible to organic and took out anything packets/sauces as we found pretty much all of them had additives in them.

In bread I am pretty sure you mainly need to watch out for vinegar (if you react to salicylates) and preservative 282. Which I *think* I read was in most bread except homemade or bakeries like bakers delight/brumbys.

Update for us - we are continuing on the additive free path although we have had slips - being that DD turned 2 and although we tried to have an additive free party for her we attended 2 other birthday parties and we thought we would wear the consequences of letting her eat "normal" party food. Well that combined with being sick and have panadol and antibiotics and we are still feeling the effects behaviour wise 3 weeks later. We've just made the decision to do the full failsafe elimination diet so we can know for sure what she is reacting to and just avoid it. Then we dont have to cut out things we dont need to, and we can make sure we stay right away from things we react to. Have just purchased this morning the Friendly Foods book and the RPAH elimination diet handbook, as well as the Sue Dengate children's behaviour dvd to show anyone who questions what we are doing. I'm a little nervous of starting it, but think its for the best, plus there are a lot of support groups online now so I think I will get plenty of advice, and our GP is on board with it as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    oohh also forgot to say I would be interested to hear about the A2 milk as well. We don't use it here but I am thinking of changing to this. Is it suitable for all ages as well? Eg is it ok for toddlers?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A2 milk showed no change with us, have switched DD to rice milk she loves it and has not reacted to it.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We only drink A2 milk, it does not give you that bloated feeling you get ( or we did!) when you drink it ( we just use it for smoothies) plus it is easier to digest than normal cows milk, DS has never had normal cows milk

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are a couple of months into the failsafe diet and things have improved for dd ( we started the diet after her diagnosis of ADHD). There is a noticeable difference in her behavior, and her teacher says her concentration has improved in class. I'm stoked.
    I have found it rather easy to follow once I got my head around the diet. We have survived 3 kids b'day parties. I just made sure I brought plates of failsafe party food and a customised party bag. DD was happy just to eat from those. I am lucky though as DD adapted really well to the diet change, if she can't eat a food, she just shrugs and says ok. Was expecting tantrums!
    The biggest adjustment I think has been the absence of fruit. Her lunchbox always looked 'healthier' with fruit. But then I reflect on the positive changes, and I think her lunchbox is now healthier for her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    Hi all I have just ordered sue's book and am in the process of eliminating preservatives and colours etc.
    I am finding that most of the products i already buy are free.
    I have a question, when people say they noticed a big change what were the main products you avoided?

So far I have to change margarines, sliced cheese and cordial (DS drinks water all day but 1/4 glass cordial with dinner.)

My wonder white bread seems to be free unless I am not reading it properly.

What do you think of a2 milk versus normal milk?
    What we started out with avoiding or changing first was bread and msg/hydrolised vegetable protein/& additives in the 600's.

With the bread I changed to bakers delight and did a trial of a supermarket bread without 282 (after about a month of using bakers delight) in it but my girls all reacted to it. But to a lesser degree than if it was one with 282 in it though. When DD1 was 10yrs she swapped half her sandwich with a friends supermarket wholemeal salad sandwich and I could tell within 20-30mins of picking her up from school that she had eaten something that day that I hadn't given her. Nothing too drastic but she was very emotional.

Then msg etc are all a similar reaction with my girls. Hyper/talking back/emotional type reactions.

I cut out all the other additives that are linked to hyper behaviour not too long ago and I did notice a huge improvement with DD2 (we are waiting to see someone and are wondering if she has ADHD) until she needed bright pink antibiotics and went nuts. It's been a while now and she was really good at first but although nothing has changed its like it's not making as huge a difference as it used to but its still better than it was.

I thought about A2 milk but haven't done it here. Since its DD2 who really has the main problems and she is CMPI anyway so it wouldn't affect her anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Does anyone else find some labels confusing?
    Eg: my old cordial read "no artificial colours and no artificial flavours" but it has preservatives ( fair enough, it is allowed to as long as written on the back.
    However my natural confectionary lollies read the same, but they have no preservatives, so why wouldnt they state that on the front for advertising?