+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, it fully cleared. We did use Elidel (sp?) cream a few times when it was bad but we weren't using it when we initially stopped dairy. She was just a bubba though when we found out.

The spots she gets are weird and random. I even had to explain them to her teacher at school when we used to do dairy trials as she saw them and freaked out that it was something contagious. Then continuous exposure will make her have more which then sort of blend into a typical excema type rash. So when I worked out that the spots were the start of it I stopped the trials as soon as I saw one which mean't she didn't get as bad.

A few years ago she had excema and a few random vomits and I couldn't work out why. Turned out she was stealing cheese and putting it in her lunch box for school. Anything more than cheese and she will have bad tummy aches and throw up though. She insisted on a piece of ice cream birthday cake at a party once and was really sick plus her spots.

Cool. That app sounds good. I have a different app. I just downloaded the free version which only has 25 additives as I'm curious how it compares to the app I have. Although my app isn't a book. I have Food Additive 2. I can't remember what I paid for it but I don't think it was much. It has them all listed in numbers or name or risk level or symptoms like allergies/hyperactivity/asthma/gluten/migraines etc etc. the numbers are all colour coded so red for very bad lol, then orange, blue and green.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannielle View Post
    Yes, it fully cleared. We did use Elidel (sp?) cream a few times when it was bad but we weren't using it when we initially stopped dairy. She was just a bubba though when we found out.

The spots she gets are weird and random. I even had to explain them to her teacher at school when we used to do dairy trials as she saw them and freaked out that it was something contagious. Then continuous exposure will make her have more which then sort of blend into a typical excema type rash. So when I worked out that the spots were the start of it I stopped the trials as soon as I saw one which mean't she didn't get as bad.

A few years ago she had excema and a few random vomits and I couldn't work out why. Turned out she was stealing cheese and putting it in her lunch box for school. Anything more than cheese and she will have bad tummy aches and throw up though. She insisted on a piece of ice cream birthday cake at a party once and was really sick plus her spots.

Cool. That app sounds good. I have a different app. I just downloaded the free version which only has 25 additives as I'm curious how it compares to the app I have. Although my app isn't a book. I have Food Additive 2. I can't remember what I paid for it but I don't think it was much. It has them all listed in numbers or name or risk level or symptoms like allergies/hyperactivity/asthma/gluten/migraines etc etc. the numbers are all colour coded so red for very bad lol, then orange, blue and green.
    Sounds like DS - we had to explain to the allergist that this is how his eczema starts because he thought it was skin scar from eczema and refused to believe us when we said that's how it starts. But he was a #%&@ and we'd never go back to him.

I'm trying to keep DS cortisone/med free for now - stopped last week after a year of almost continuous cortisone use, because if we stopped it would get so angry. And we didn't get why because we stopped with his allergens. Very confusing. I'm hoping it will clear on its own going additive and dairy free (plus acidic etc). And I do think he's more well behaved as well, though he never had real issues, but he's just more chilled.

I have additive 2 as well - that's what I used till now. Got the chemical maze just coz I thought the author might be more knowledgable because I do t know who made additive 2, and it was missing some additives I saw in packaging.

On another note - those who went additive free with their kids - have you felt any change in you? For me on day 3-4 I had a massive headache, my jaw killed me and I was dizzy. Now I'm more relaxed and the physical symptoms went away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Grrr at the erythromycin. But I guess we have no choice or is there a way I can get things like that done colourfree at least for future reference?

Either the colours/flavours or both have a great side effect with DD2. Well, maybe that along with being grumpy about being sick or maybe feeling a bit better, but no need to take it out on her sisters. At least she's getting a bit better and managed to sleep a bit last night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jake's mum- No, no change like that with me. But I have noticed my asthma seems pretty good lately.

One thing I have noticed though is to do with msg. We have been pretty much msg free for a long time (slight exceptions which I have since stopped like small amounts of vegemite). Anyway, I noticed if I eat something that contains msg I get really awful reactions so I have to be really careful now. It's like because I don't eat it anymore when I do have it I'm more sensitive to it. It's weird.

I do get massive headaches and jaw aches though when I'm stressed. I have actually had it the past couple of days with DD2 sick and not much sleep etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Its interesting reading this about the side effects you guys had with withdrawals. We are all removing additives just like our BD (although prob haven't been as strict) And the second week in I was full of headaches for a whole week. Not bad enough to take medicine for but just an annoying dull ache. I put it down to not drinking enough water or something but it makes sense that it might have been all the crap detoxing out of my body.

Since the daycare food incident - it took us about 2 days of pretty poor behaviour and another 4-5 days to seem to get almost back to what she was when we first started cutting things out. Had our next session at daycare yesterday and I just packed my own food for her and they were good with that. They have been very supportive and are going to provide me with the menu for the week i advance so I can try to give DD the same food as the other kids - just made by me.

Had my dr's visit yesterday finally to discuss the behaviour issues and also what to do with the whole food intolerances thing. The GP i saw unfortunately couldnt give me much info that I didnt already know as she wasnt overly familiar with this kind of thing. However she said I had piqued her interest in additives and children's behaviour, esp when she rang some allergy dr and he confirmed what I had been telling her. So she has said she is going to do her ow research into it and wants to follow along with how we are going. I am ok with the not much knowledge though as at least she isnt fobbing us off - been just fobbed off way too may times.

Anyhow she said as the behaviour seems to be being helped by the diet changes she would like us to continue on this track, and that we should definitely consider doing the whole elimination diet (as confirmed by the allergy guy) and that in 3 months time if we arent seeing big changes then they will refer us on to see a paediatrician just i case there are other issues as well. I've found a failsafe support group o facebook so I've just joined there to try and get some more info as well.

Hope you guys are all going well xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've realised I made quite a few mistakes :-( when I had a massive headache I took a panadol when I couldn't bear it anymore and only after thought to read the ingredient list which included a sulphate preservative :-( also both DS and I had capers which only after I realised are in white wine vinegar which again contains sulphate preservative. And made a few similar mistakes...

DS's skin has gotten worse and I don't know if it was from my mistakes or something else in his diet... I'm very frustrated and at a loss. Still going though!

And on a good note, cutting out all that junk plus dairy out of my diet I lost 4kg! Woohoo!

How's everyone else going?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OMG I had NO idea about prawns being dipped in preservative? Luckily I buy mine fresh off the trawler from my local seafood shop.

On the eczema thing, my DS developed eczema at 14 months, not badly but its quite persistant. It affects him in a patch on his tummy, all over his toes and arches of his feet and when flared up its moves over the tops of his feet and up the sides of his calves. I can't work out the trigger, I think its environmental though (sand, grass, socks, sweaty feet - so he's a hippy kid and barefoot a lot!). I have just come across OUR MIRACLE CURE for *his eczema....Coconut Oil! I put some in his bath every night and then rub in on him morning and night and within 3 days his skin is moist and not dry at all, redness gone, no eczema! YAY! I bought a jar of it for $13 from health food store and it'll last ages.

I'm off to get some maize flour for tortillas as I too was shocked by the amount of nasties in supermarket tortillas. Even Mission brand, which for some reason I thought was likely to be better than El Paso

Thanks
    Reviews
    Best tip I read : "If it comes from a plant; eat it. If it's made in a plant; dont". Pretty simple thing to remember when you're trying to eat healthier :-)

***Sent from my phone***

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (01-06-2012),beebs  (02-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I just say thank you to all of you. Hopefully one day we will have an educated world free of nasties.
    I work casually in a supermarket ( as a 2nd job) and it really is starting to stress me out at the number of people who have trollies full of junk ( and then wondering why their kids are screaming and behaving badly).
    Not just being uneducated in preservatives etc but basic nutrition and listening to marketing who ha.
    I once heard a child ask their dad for x brand of cereal, he said no you can't have x it's unhealthy have y instead. I later read the lable and x was way better. Less salts, fats, sugars and colours

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, that would stress me out too. Or I see kids at school that I know are quite ummm loud and lively to put it nicely. LOL And they will be eating something that I know has additives in it and think yep thats probably why you are like that.

Well, we have had some dramas here which just confirms what we know about additives. DD2 with the bright pink erythomycin most definately. Then the girls had the mothers day stall at school. Lovely DD3 bought me a present for $2 and then spent the remaining $3 at the canteen! I knew something was up, she was so moody and cranky and then DD2 told me what she did. She bought JJ's and a slurpee.