+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Ooh Jakes Mum I make tortillas too! Do you use maize flour?
    It's cool making them by yourself, isn't it? And DS LOVES them. I use masa harina - special Mexican maize flour treated with lime. Smells so good!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Emi View Post
    have a look at the 'fed up' web page... http://fedup.com.au/ they are quite good... I hae used this and so have my friends... made a huge difference!!! and they can pin point the worse foods for certain behaiours etc... and even conditions like skin conditions, etc etc... good luck!
    I've looked there and also have both her books. For eczema they suggest preservatives, additives and salycilites are the main offenders.

But DS was eczema free for a year prior to the last year and had high sal food like veggies and fruit so I'm assuming it's not that. What changed us having cows' milk, acidic foods, and small amounts of preservatives and additives, so I'm trying to remove those from his diet. It's not too bad because I was already making most of our food from scratch, just had to change mustard, bacon etc that I can't make myself. But other things are hard - I didn't know pretty much all prawns in Australia are dipped in preservative :-( I do miss prawns.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jake's mum View Post
    It's cool making them by yourself, isn't it? And DS LOVES them. I use masa harina - special Mexican maize flour treated with lime. Smells so good!
    That's what I get! But where do you get yours? I could only find it on USA foods website ! It's ridiculous when you read the tortilla packet ( old el paso ) how much crap is in 1 tortilla ! I want to buy a tortilla press but have only seen the in America

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's what I get! But where do you get yours? I could only find it on USA foods website ! It's ridiculous when you read the tortilla packet ( old el paso ) how much crap is in 1 tortilla ! I want to buy a tortilla press but have only seen the in America
    Got it from Oasis Bakery, it's in Melbourne, a 10min walk from home for me! but they post anywhere in Australia. Great shop and they have such a wonderful variety of ethnic foods and spices. When we lived further away from them I ordered things by post and they were good and quick. If they don't have it on their website just call and place a phone order.

They also have tortilla presses - I got mine just last week. They're cast aluminum though and not cast iron, so whilst they're lighter they're not as strong, I think mine was about $35 or $40. It does make the process much easier and faster. I couldn't find any cast iron tortilla presses in Australia.

It is absolutely redicilous, the amount of rubbish old el passo put in their tortillas :-( we stopped using them ages ago and if I want real quick Mexican for dinner I have the stand and stuff tacos (high in salt but no nasties) and whenever I cook beans/chickpeas/etc I freeze a few containers so I can just empty them into hot water and use when needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thankyou!!! Looks great and I just found pomegranate molasses on their site!!! I've been trying to find that for ages!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou!!! Looks great and I just found pomegranate molasses on their site!!! I've been trying to find that for ages!!!
    No worries :-) they are great. And pomegranate molasses is yum! I have some at home. I have some middle eastern cookbooks that use it a fair bit. Iraqi cooking uses it heaps and it's so yum and healthy and different. Shame they all use nuts and sesame seeds so much though :-( I miss nuts so much.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jake's mum For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (03-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for the link to Oasis Bakery - off to check it out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh, that sounds good! I wasn't sure about making them so I miss having tortillas. We do the stand and stuff shells and the mountain bread (not sure if they are actually failsafe? but I figure better than buying tortillas). Ha ha ha maybe I should give DH some hints.......... mothers day is coming up.

With the excema. Before I knew about additives etc did realise DD2's excema and weird spots that she was getting were connected to dairy. We found out she is CMPI and had to remove all dairy including things cooked with even small amounts of dairy like biscuits etc. She was able to eat those sorts of things by about 13-14mths though. She can only have small amounts of cheese every few days or so. If she has too much the first sign will be spots which can even be just a few odd single spots in various places but usually on her face which aren't really excema but sort of her first sign before a proper excema rash.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannielle View Post
    Oh, that sounds good! I wasn't sure about making them so I miss having tortillas. We do the stand and stuff shells and the mountain bread (not sure if they are actually failsafe? but I figure better than buying tortillas). Ha ha ha maybe I should give DH some hints.......... mothers day is coming up.

With the excema. Before I knew about additives etc did realise DD2's excema and weird spots that she was getting were connected to dairy. We found out she is CMPI and had to remove all dairy including things cooked with even small amounts of dairy like biscuits etc. She was able to eat those sorts of things by about 13-14mths though. She can only have small amounts of cheese every few days or so. If she has too much the first sign will be spots which can even be just a few odd single spots in various places but usually on her face which aren't really excema but sort of her first sign before a proper excema rash.
    They are really easy to make - just mix masa harina with warm water, make into a ball shape, flatten with the tortilla press and throw on a hot pan for 45sec each side. They're not failsafe (nor are the stand and stuff tacos) because they have corn on them which is moderate in salycilites, but they are additive/preservative free.

Thanks for the info about CMPI, I looked into it now. I stopped with milk because that's something DS didn't have when his skin was clear, but didn't stop with yogurt/cheese etc because I thought he was eating those when his skin was clear. But maybe it's about the quantity... So we'll try to go dairy free as well and see if that helps. Did your DD's skin fully clear after you stopped with dairy? DS's eczema also starts with little red dots (that then sort if connect into a rash).

Thanks
    Reviews
    By the way if you have an iPhone, I got the app the chemical maze, which is the full book in an app - cheaper than buying the book and very useful at the shops.