+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks erinn - I will keep my eye out and take a closer look.

That's awesome that it's working well for you.

I'm not sure about tests. DD2 is cow milk protein intolerant (CMPI) and can't eat or drink dairy. I do know there is a test they can do for that. It's like a sticky thing similar to the skin prick test where you have a control sticky thing that will come up in a hive/itchy spot thing that gets put on their back for a while along with the milk sticky thing. Then it gets taken off after a certain amount of time and the Dr has a look at it. In DD2's case the milk spot was huge and way bigger than the control one. But I'm not sure what else they can test for like that. DD2 is allergic to an unknown colour/flavour found in lollies. As in 20+ hives and throat swelling at first exposure after just one jelly baby and they told me they can't test for that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannielle View Post
    We didn't do failsafe, just cut out the additives. So, we all still have any fruit we want for example. At this stage anyway. I have seen some improvement and I will think about trialing other things later on if I think it's a possibility.

We are thinking DD2 may have ADHD (have an appointment for a developmental paediatrician but have a 2 and a bit month wait and it's in the family along with a few other things). But from what I understand there are a number of additives that can cause ADHD-like behaviour. And I was told with ADHD they can be very good at school but it's like they use all their energy being good and trying hard that when they come home (or get to the car in our case sometimes LOL) they just loose it.

DD2 is very good at school except for spacing out at times and therefore not finishing work, easily distracted and some other problems with school work but overall no real problems that they have seen. She has never once had any behaviour problems at school and she is in Year 3 this year.

And Yep, that 5% rule is so bad. It makes it hard. We don't eat jam or anything so that bit is easy for us and we use nuttlex. Vegemite is the hardest one though. Is there a vegemite substitute?
    Sue Dengate has a recipe for a Vegemite substitute.

100g mince
    100g assorted failsafe veggies
    Water as needed
    Salt to taste

Everything in the pot just covered with water, bring to boil and simmer until cooked. Add salt to taste.
    Blend until smooth and use as a spread. Use the same day, and you can freeze into portions to thaw as required.
    (hope I'm allowed to post the recipe??)

I have never tried this though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing. So clueless to most of this. Didn't realise Vegemite was so bad, thanks for posting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    MissKittyFantastico - meant to ask this of you yesterday - can you suggest any of these places online where you can buy the pear jam or any related failsafe items. So far I have found Hullabaloo Foods and that is about it. So any other suggestions would be marvelous if you wouldnt mind sharing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    And a new question too - for those whose children react to additives behaviour wise - how soon do you see a reaction after they have eaten something that they react too? Straight away or a few days later? After only eating something for one day or after a buildup of a few days of eating something that doesnt agree?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can see it almost straight away in their behaviour. As soon as about 20-30mins or at least that day. It follows on through to the next day though as well. I didn't think DD1 & DD3 had any behaviour problems. I thought they were just sensitive and emotional girls and DD2 well, she's another story entirely LOL.

I have had the msg and 282 in bread out of their diets for a long time. When DD1 was 10yrs she just seemed more emotional when I picked her up from school one day. I turned around to her and said I know you have eaten something I didn't give you today what was it. She was shocked, I think she thought og my goodness mum knows everything LOL. Anyway, it turned out she swapped half her chicken sandwich for half a friends wholemeal salad sandwich. She thought it was ok because it was healthy but it was the 282 in the bread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting! The reason I ask is we are coming into 2 weeks of totally fantastic behaviour so different from what it used to be. But we have also just started daycare 1 day a week, last week being the first week and yesterday being the second. Last week I know she had fruit, spaghetti bolognaise for lunch and then sandwiches for arvo tea and she was fine didnt seem to have any change in her behaviour. At this stage I havent made her separate lunches for daycare because I figured she was only going one day a week. Yesterday though she had tuna mornay and I am not sure what else, and from the minute I picked her up she was a completely different child, whining, tantrumming, carrying on. I didnt really stress about it last night because I figured she was just tired after a big day so we had dinner and went to bed. BUT then she had a super early wake up this morning and has carried on the same behaviour this morning. Tantrums, defiance and this morning I cant even go near her to cuddle her without her lashing out or screaming at me. Which is a big difference from how she has been. She doesnt seem sick or anything different this morning so I wondered if perhaps it was something to do with whatever she ate yesterday - might have to give them a call and see what else she had. Or perhaps she is just having an off day - who knows?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe start a food diary? Even just for what she ate on daycare days and note any behaviour changes and when it happens or when you notice it and when she seems better again.

I would see if you can find out what brand of bread they usually use too. I think I saw a reaction to bread with vinegar as a preservative too (instead of the 282) so we just stick to bakers delight now. That one wasn't as obvious and it wasn't until a couple of days later that I thought hmmmm maybe the bread. But yeah, I would definately find out exactly what she ate yesterday.

It kind of gradually comes out of their system. DD2 can be very much like that but has some other things going on too. (Have an appointment end of July with a developmental paediatrician) We have noticed a huge improvement on the tantrum side of things at least since she has stopped every additive with hyperactive symtoms. The other things are still the same though I think, maybe a slight improvement.

Poor thing is really sick at the moment though and still no tantrums. Just been to the Dr's again after only seeing him yesterday afternoon as she got got a lot worse overnight. He thinks she may have whooping cough. I wonder if we will get behaviour problems though as she had to start on erythromycin (lovely pink colour) while we wait for results which will hopefully be friday.
    Last edited by Dannielle; 02-05-2012 at 13:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh no! Poor little munchkin, whooping cough is so nasty and unfortunately really going around lately. Hope she is on the mend soon.

Well after my post this morning that behaviour pretty much carried on. She is down for a nap now so I hope it wont take too long for the effects to ease off again. It really has been crazy this morning - she has been throwing herself across the floor in hysterics, smashing on our windows. When I rang the childcare centre she was trying to smash/shake down the baby gate to her bedroom and squealing like nothing I've heard before. Even her carer had to say surely that isnt her?!

BUT I found out what she ate yesterday and that was fruit for morning tea, tuna patties with carrot and cheese salad for lunch of which she had 2 helpings, and packaged fruit cake with packaged custard for afternoon tea of which she had 2 serves. So I am guessing that the patties might have had breadcrumbs in (I know mine normally do) and I am guessing the cake and custard wouldn't have been great for colours or other additives. So I have said I think I will just provide them with the food for her that she will be able to eat and they were ok with that. I really must go back to doing the food diary. I started one a few weeks before we even started taking out some foods but then I got a bit slack. Must get back into it....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I havent read the replies so sorry if this has been mentioned, but some kids react to salacylates found in fruit (apple). We are also on the elimination path, fun hey? No preservatives for Miss2 for 3months now, her behaviour is beautiful, now we are doing other eliminations for allergies, but the additive alert application has saved us, love it!

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub