+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can I ask what sort of foods you are feeding your toddlers? I would love to try something like this with my 22 month old but she is very fussy, mainly just grazes during the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing... Bed time xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I pretty much feed 18 month old DS what we eat , mainly all fresh food, no packet anything, we use avocado instead of butter, he drinks goats/almond or A2 milk, rice crumbs instead of bread crumbs and buy probably 80% organic ( he loves all fruit and raw veggies ) I make my own dips, pizza, curry pastes, pasta sauces ( pasta when I have time) he eats a lot of fish ,organic eggs, I use tons of fresh herbs and I use mountain bread or spelt sourdough bread and quinoa , basmati or brown rice
    When I bake I use organic flours and coconut palm sugar ( best low GI sugar)
    We do obviously splurge when we have people over and I make cheesecakes etc and we still order healthy food when we are out but I would say 80% of the time he eats very well!
    I have found a few additive free snacks which are great for when you are out ( happy baby organic puffs) and organic mini rice cakes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep pretty much same here - ours is currently looking like this - weetbix or porridge for breakfast or toast with natural peanut butter. We are still using marg but have swapped to Nuttelex which please correct me if I am wrong but I thought this one is ok? Lunch we are having tuna sandwiches or couscous or quinoa and stuff like this. Dinner is pretty much the same as normal - meat & veges, stirfrys or pasta but I am making the sauces myself. Snacks we are having fruit or I am baking special treats for things like when we go to other people's houses or out and about such as homemade muesli bars, or muffins. Popcorn home popped, rice cakes, homemade dips etc.

Actually while we are on the subject of food can anyone confirm if there are products as the following that are ok or not? Or if there is any books or websites that have say a decent shopping list of "safe products" I am a bit confused when it comes to things like eg the failsafe cookbook says no jams are ok except homemade pear jam but a friend put me onto the st dalfours jam and that says no preservatives, colours or flavours. Sweetened only with grape fruit juice. Does that mean this one is ok? And cheese - is that ok, somethings I read say only white cheese as the yellow block cheese contains annatto, BUT that is not listed on any cheese I looked at and the one of the addtive recipe books I have says cheese is ok? I suppose I'm getting confused in that there are some packaged things that would make life slightly easier that appear to have nothing bad in them. How do I know if they truly are ok and not hidden?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Nutlex is fine, it has non GMO canola ( GMO is another big deal!) I avoid anything with canola or soy that is not organic

The big problem in Australia is if the ingredient is less than 5% they legally do not have to list it, so yellow cheeses may have Annetto ( failsafe writers should know!)

I don't give DS cheese on its own but on occasion when we are out mainly will get him a toasted cheese and avo sandwich or pizza , that would be not even once a fortnight? We use mainly white cheese at home, bocconcini for pizza, ricotta, feta and goats cheese is a staple in our house! when I was researching cheese I think the original mini baby bell cheese was the best one if that helps?

Jam we don't eat so I'm not sure, maybe it's for salyicilates sensitive kids or it may be the 5% rule ? I sometimes mash banana on toast so don't know if you would want to mash strawberries/raspberries on toast for that jam effect?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Hope you don't mind if I pop in OP, we've been a failsafe house for a number of years, so I can answer a few of your queries.

Annatto or colour 160B is a "natural colour" that causes a lot of horrible symptoms and behaviours for some people, that's found in custards, ice creams, cheeses (white or yellow) and it's nasty because manufacturers can state that the product has no artificial colours, flavours, additives, preservitives so it's a real trap when you're starting out. 160A is ok.

Pear jam is the only suitable jam for the elimination diet because of the salycilates in the others. If your child tolerates moderate sals, then other preservative free jams may be okay. Also note that grapes/grape juice are big triggers for failsafe kids - so you may want to keep that in mind. There are a few places online that you can buy pear jam and some other failsafe foods/snacks.

All cheeses contain amines and my DD is intolerant to amines (found in cheese, pork, bananas). The yellower and harder the cheese, the higher the amine content, so yes, (if there's an amine sensitivity)white, soft cheeses are best. Cream cheese, baby bocconcini, mozzarella etc... as long as no additives, preservatives or pesky 160B

7. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

erinn  (30-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumwannabe View Post
    What is the difference between failsafe and cutting out additives? I'm thinking of cutting out as many nasties as I can as my 2 year old is constantly tantrum ing and has done so since 10months. But he is getting strong and the violence side of it is really worrying me.

Also if it was additives causing problems wouldn't he act out at daycare as wel? But they say he is angel when there 2 days a week.
    We didn't do failsafe, just cut out the additives. So, we all still have any fruit we want for example. At this stage anyway. I have seen some improvement and I will think about trialing other things later on if I think it's a possibility.

We are thinking DD2 may have ADHD (have an appointment for a developmental paediatrician but have a 2 and a bit month wait and it's in the family along with a few other things). But from what I understand there are a number of additives that can cause ADHD-like behaviour. And I was told with ADHD they can be very good at school but it's like they use all their energy being good and trying hard that when they come home (or get to the car in our case sometimes LOL) they just loose it.

DD2 is very good at school except for spacing out at times and therefore not finishing work, easily distracted and some other problems with school work but overall no real problems that they have seen. She has never once had any behaviour problems at school and she is in Year 3 this year.

And Yep, that 5% rule is so bad. It makes it hard. We don't eat jam or anything so that bit is easy for us and we use nuttlex. Vegemite is the hardest one though. Is there a vegemite substitute?
    Last edited by Dannielle; 30-04-2012 at 16:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think there is a Vegemite type spread that does not contain yeast extract ( MSG) I've looked at mighty mite and promite and they both have it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    my dd is senitive to tomatoe products. also, she can no have oranges, lemons etc. does citric acid cause problems? also, where do you get your organics from? i would need to shop online. also, i read organic fruit and veg isn't always a good idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really need to read up on this, didn't even think about yellow in cheese. I've been avoiding shop custards due to the "natural" yellow