+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have downloaded an app called chemical maze, very handy when shopping. It is really scary the side effects of some ingredients even the ones that the label claim has "no artificial colours or flavors". When I first started I fell for that trap.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Plan2bamummy For This Useful Post:

erinn  (29-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Exactly! Scary isnt it? I know when I was reading the Fed Up book and she was talking a bit about MSG and I said to my hubby I thought they banned MSG or something. Poor Naive me and then I see how they call it all these other names like hydrolised vegetable protein and you have no idea. Its an eye opener for sure because I always thought we ate pretty well - we dont eat a lot of takeaway and my daughter has none. We dont really eat junky food, but the colurings and additives are in everything!!!! Very scary indeed

Thanks
    Reviews
    It IS scary how things like MSG are 'hidden'. I remember almost being in tears at the supermarket when we started. But now if I eat those type of things, I feel gross.

My DH and I also lost heaps of weight when we started so that's a bonus

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by erinn View Post
    Well thought I would post back and say we are into the third week of cutting out the additives and we are 1 week into some absolutely awesome behaviour from my daughter. This last week has been the best behaviour week by far - I think I had 2 tantrums this whole week compared to she was having 6+ per day, she sat through a dawn service on Anzac Day with about 4 hours of the march and the memorial with only a little whinge (last year's was a huge struggle and she was only 10 months old) and for the first time ever cleared away all her toys when I asked instead of tantrumming, ignoring me or getting distracted. Coincidence on the timing with removing food additives or related? I'm not sure - intending on keeping it up though.

I ended up buying the Additive Alert book, the Failsafe cookbook and another recipe book related and signed up to a few additive free cooking blogs. Have decided not to go the whole Failsafe route at this point in time but are trying to get rid of all the preservatives and colours etc from our diets.

So far we have changed our bread to preservative free, changed our sandwich spreads, I'm making all our sauces etc completely from scratch, took the ham and polony out of our sandwiches (which to be honest I always thought was fine - I grew up on the stuff!) stopped buying what I thought were reasonably healthy kids snacks like rice wheels or the fruit bars and am making my own, and started buying organic veges and organic or preservative free meats. In terms of cost I have found the food is more expensive but I am also saving money on making stuff from scratch rather than buying some of the stuff I was buying. I think my shopping has gone up about $50 for the fortnight, but for $25 a week and a child who is calmer I can live with that!!!

And I think with the going out aspect of it I think we will still do that, just start being creative with how often we do it or what we order. Eg. my daughter's second birthday is coming up in 6 weeks and I have been thinking how on earth do you hold a childs party without all the food additives but a little bit of research and I see you can get natural food colourings for cakes, some lollies are ok, I'll make food from scratch etc then I know what goes in it. And I am thinking the odd eating out wont be too bad just maybe make slightly different choices than we might have otherwise done. But its super early days here so we'll see how it goes
    That's fantastic! Well done

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's good OP. There are so many nasty additives.

We have cut out all the bad additives out here. We sometimes get things like kettle/red rock deli plain chips and I thought DH and even DD1 understood. They came back from the shops with 2 pkts of honey soy chicken red rock deli chips grrrr. At least they didn't open them I guess. So, I have to explain it all to DH and DD1 again.

Just wondering though OP what the other receipe book was you got and if it's any good?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Its hard isnt it? I am lucky to have my Dh on board when I started to explain to him why I was wanting to cut them out he completely agreed with me. Having said though I'll be doing the shopping for a while yet because I can already see he doesnt really check the labels properly. As for DD I dont have to worry about questions yet as she is too young to really know anyhow.

Dannielle - the other book I got was Low to No Additives by Olivia Dyer and Bridy Fulvio. It has info in the front of how the authors came to be additive free households, family favourite kind of recipes for mains and desserts, and then the back of the book is dedicated to the additives to avoid and what side effects they may produce, as well as a shopping list of additive free products.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, that book sounds good too. I will have a look.

Yes, it's hard.

We have avoided a lot of additives for quite a while with the 282 in bread being the most noticeable one and tried to avoid msg as much as possible. Then one day I decided to make an old favourite recipe that had a packet of soup in the ingredients and thought surely that wont matter. It did, I ended up at the Dr's the next day and hadn't slept all night with what felt like heart palpitations. I had a blood test and ECG and everything was ok. I realised afterwards it must have been the MSG in the packet of soup. Then about a month after that we were invited to someone's house for a party. I had to eat but I was worried and sure enough I was sick again.

We also recently realised that it's very possible DD2 may have ADHD so we have been very strict on all the additives for about 2 weeks now without going fully failsafe.

DH is supportive especially after seeing some improvement in DD2 since we have been strict but he isn't a reader and he hasn't read the book or books. So, he just doesn't realise. DD2 & DD3 are 8.5yrs old and they have been ok about it which is good especially DD2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What is the difference between failsafe and cutting out additives? I'm thinking of cutting out as many nasties as I can as my 2 year old is constantly tantrum ing and has done so since 10months. But he is getting strong and the violence side of it is really worrying me.

Also if it was additives causing problems wouldn't he act out at daycare as wel? But they say he is angel when there 2 days a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It can be very hard, especially when teamed with allergies.

I found shopping at Aldi making life easier. Most of their products are additive & preservative free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    From my understanding fail safe is cutting out all additives, colours, Amines, salicylates and Flavour Enhancers ( amines and salicylates are found in fruits /veggies / cheese /fish and are mainly naturally occurring )