+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Pocket money for a 5 yr old???

My DD is 5 turning 6. However developmentally she's about 3 (GDD, ASD, medical history).

DD spent 1/2 of the easter holidays with her father and his family. During this stay, a reward chart has been started, and the reward at the end of the period is money. Anywhere between $2 and $10.

The 'jobs' DD needs to do to earn this money are 'picking up her toys', 'tidying her mess', things I believe a child should be doing with encouragement but not reward.

To me a reward such as pocket money should be reserved for chores above and beyond whats normally expected for self care. Eg, doing the dishes, mowing the lawn etc.

What do you think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree. I don't think children should be paid to simply tidy up after themselves. I understand that parents use money as an as an incentive and I think some jobs which may be considered beyond the norm such as washing the car may be something a child would be given some money for, but I think it's sad that a lot of kids believe they are entitled to a payment for contributing to the running o a household.

Our children will not be paid for making their beds, tidying their rooms, washing up, taking out the bins etc. They won't be paid for this in the real world, and I don't want them to believe that simply helping out deserves payment!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks Justwant2beamummy, glad im not on the wrong track here lol. I wont be following this pocket money idea when DD gets home, but perhaps i'll keep the reward chart and swap the pocket money for a trip to the park or something but there is no way im paying my 5 yr old to keep her living area tidy lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ds1 is 2 and on his chore chart are things like making the bed, picking up his toys, putting his clothes in the laundry basket, brushing his teeth etc. If he does this all week he gets two dollars that he can spend on anything that he wants. He usually chooses apple juice lol. I think it's good as it teaches him the value of money. As he gets older and gets more money he will need to put some into savings but at the mintue I just do it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    we sometimes set challenges above and beyond normal helping.

Our basic expectations is that DS (7) will clean up after himself and also do any jobs he is asked to with a smile on his face lol

If he wants to earn a particular thing (like, he wanted some skylanders) he comes to me and we make a deal. I normally set educational type challenges in areas he needs to work on...eg he needs to practice handwriting so he needs to write me a 1 page story etc I prefer to reward him and motivate him to do better at school as well.

I put money in his bank account weekly and he can have it when he is 18 or earlier if he goes OS as an exchange student.

It depends on what you decide in your own house. Our house rules is that we all help each other...and not expect anything in return so pocket money for household chores would go against that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwant2beamummy View Post
    I agree. I don't think children should be paid to simply tidy up after themselves. I understand that parents use money as an as an incentive and I think some jobs which may be considered beyond the norm such as washing the car may be something a child would be given some money for, but I think it's sad that a lot of kids believe they are entitled to a payment for contributing to the running o a household.
    I agree with this. I don't think DD will get pocket money until she is old enough to be going out with friends unsupervised (so pretty old ) i am happy to pay for what she needs and some wants

All children should learn to help around the house, I don't think money should be an incentive. But DD is only 2 so who knows what will change by the time she is 6!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    we sometimes set challenges above and beyond normal helping.

Our basic expectations is that DS (7) will clean up after himself and also do any jobs he is asked to with a smile on his face lol

If he wants to earn a particular thing (like, he wanted some skylanders) he comes to me and we make a deal. I normally set educational type challenges in areas he needs to work on...eg he needs to practice handwriting so he needs to write me a 1 page story etc I prefer to reward him and motivate him to do better at school as well.

I put money in his bank account weekly and he can have it when he is 18 or earlier if he goes OS as an exchange student.

It depends on what you decide in your own house. Our house rules is that we all help each other...and not expect anything in return so pocket money for household chores would go against that.
    Fantastic idea!! I'm going to use that one!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend uses the 'screen' time (allocated time on computer/tv etc) reward for expected chores (bed making, tidy up) and money reward for extra jobs (car washed, lawn mowing )
    Although her three are older (9-14) so the level of jobs changes with age.

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I always thought pocket money was for things that benefited the whole family, like doing the dishes, feeding the animals, taking out garbage etc.
    Cleaning your room, brushing your hair in the morning, tidying your toys... They were all things you were just expected to do. That's just the way my family did it though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmmm I dont believe in pocket money full stop. I never got it as a child.
    If there is something I really really wanted, I would ask my parents and they would tell me what it would cost me to get that item. Ie doing the dishes for a whole week, washing the car, helping nan clean her house, etc.

DS also had GDD and we've just completed 2 weeks of ASD assessments. We'll get that conclusion in the next few weeks.
    Yet because of his GDD, (he's about 16 months at the age of 27 months), I am not starting a reward chart yet.
    He gets a stamp if he does a wee on the potty or if he does something else that is worth rewarding.
    When he mentally gets to the age of 4, I will start the rewards charts and rewards will include something like an outing to the park or botanical gardens, he can pick an icecream of his choice for desert for a day, he can pick the next mum/son activity we do every Saturday, etc.

Pocket money is probably not something I will give until he gets to year 6 or starts highschool.
    If he wants something, he can ask me and I will tell him what it takes for me to buy that item for him.