+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feeling pressure to give the bottle??

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to post this I suppose to get some support and maybe see if anyone else has had similar experiences...

My DS is almost 6 weeks old (1st bub for us and grandchild for both sides too) and I have always wanted to breastfeeding babies and have done so with DS... It hasn't been easy so far, lots of misinformation in the hospital which led to very damaged and painful nipples which have cracked/split/bled and had me in tears (LC mentioned possible vasospasm)...
    It got to the point the other day where I was trying to only feed from one side and gently expressed from the sore breast and I have frozen the expressed milk "just in case" and will only be used short term to give my nipple time to heal... however I haven't used it and won't unless I feel that my boob might fall off...

My problem is though, the amount of ppl that are telling me to put him on formula or "just give him a bottle"..
    My MIL was trying to talk me into formula by saying its just as good as breast milk these days blah blah... But also complete strangers who I haven't even told that I've been h in some issues...

I guess, I know that I can ignore them, but a lot of comments are being made in front of my husband who is very supportive of breastfeeding but I can tell its all playing on his mind... He asked last night if we could giving him one of the bottles in the freezer, I know he only suggested it because he is trying to ease the pain/try and help more... But I'm sick of hearing about bottles/formula everywhere I go...

What makes people think (the strangers) that I'm going to stop breast feeding because of their opinion... And how many times do I need to tell others (like MIL) that I will only be giving the bottle as a VERY LAST resort?!

Sorry, I know I'm blabbering, just needed to get it off my chest

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I will come back later but wanted to subscribe!

Baby wearing, co-sleeping, booby feeding mummy to one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh people can be so ignorant can't they. It is a proven fact that breast is best. However I'm not anti formula.
    I had all sorts of problems BF my DS and did end up putting him on the bottle. It was totally my decision though.
    I'm pregnant now and really hoping BF goes alot more smoother this time FX
    For me BF was the hardest thing about having a new born but one thing that made it a bit easier on my nipples were nipple shields. Have u tried these darl? Some people don't find them to be usefull but they were a savior for my nipples.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went through this with DD1. My nipples were actually hanging by one side they were so damaged. I couldnt bring myself to formula feed. I just cried through each feed for about 2 weeks, gave them plenty of time in the sun, used hydrogel discs etc. After about 2weeks with proper attachment and confidence they healed and I bf for 1yr with no further issues. Although my nipples are still scarred I am now bfing my newborn with no problem.

For me, not giving up was the best thing I ever did. Bfing is free, convenient and once established, really simple.

I know what you are going through, best of luck.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    SOME PEOPLE!! While i didnt really have any major issues with Bfing, if i was having a 'bad' day the first thing people would say is 'just put him on the bottle' GRRR!!!

Hang in there honey. Get to the chemist and grad yourself some lansinoh (unless you already have)
    http://www.tendernest.com.au/nipplec...ipplecream56g/

Get those beautiful baby feeders out in the sun and put some EAR PLUGS IN!!!

Your doing a great job, just remember that!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jennibear For This Useful Post:

Whitman  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im currently overseas and my grandmother and aunties went nuts at me for taking too long to feed her. 30 minutes to be exact and then complained she wasnt getting getting enough milk/I wasnt producing enough even though healthcare nurses didnt have a problem with her weight or height. Anyway long story short I did give in and felt so bad and stressed that I got sick and now am on antibiotics that will not let me BF at all. So I have to bottle feed my DD. Dont give in if you dont want to!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big hugs OP - I know all too well how you feel! Luckily I didn't have people around me putting pressure to bottle feed, but I did have the extreme damage and pain that you describe! I ended up feeding my daughter until 22 months in the end!

Things that worked for me in the beginning were to set myself goals - "I will give it another 2 weeks and then reassess", I also used LOADS of Lansinoh cream on my nipples and had some mothers mate breast pad things that were kept cold when not in use and were great for relief. Also, have you been checked recently by a lactation consultant to be sure that attachment is good now?
    Good luck with doing whatever is the best thing for you and for your baby!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh my Mother in law tried to bully me into bottle feeding, because she thought my daughter was too little and all of "her" children were massive! I just ignored her and if she made a big deal of it, I told her that my Doctor was happy with what I was doing and with the progress of the baby and that's all I cared about.

Usually it's the other way around with people trying to tell you to breastfeed instead of bottle- just goes to show that you cant win either way- so make yourself happy and stuff everyone else... I ended up expressing once or twice a day and my hubby would bottle feed during the night which I loved and luckily baby didn't have any nipple confusion issues.

My theory was just as long as bubs was getting the boob milk I was happy- but don't get me wrong- if she wasn't feeding properly or I couldn't feed I'd give her formula in a heart beat!

For your sore nipple- have you tried nipple shields? They are super thin, help bubs feed and will help your nipple heal quicker too. Worth a go?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hang in there, they mean well and probably think they are taking the "pressure" to continue BF off you. My mum was the same with me. Maybe get hubby to mention to them that what you'd really appreciate is their support and encouragement at your perseverance with BF.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the same problem with the IL's with my first son. It caused many many fights with my DH once I even walked out with DS down to a payphone and rang my mum to come pick me up. DS1 was slow putting on weight but I knew he was fine he was happy, content baby. Ignore it, you know what is best for your child they don't.