+ Reply to Thread
    littlesunflowers is offline It's not about the seeds - it's how you grow the flowers
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Acupuncture and needle phobia

Hi all. My DP and I are in the middle of tests to see if we are good candidates for IVF. I have quite a bad needle phobia, and I wonder if anyone else with a needle phobia has tried acupuncture? I'm not sure if it would help me get used to needles sooner (as I know there are many coming my way), or just make me more stressed. I have a few health issues that acupuncture might help with, and for that reason I would like to try it, but as the phobia can make me start to lose consciousness even before anything actually happens to me, this is not an experience I like to seek out! Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Laser acupuncture

Some acupuncturists do laser acupuncture - rather than needles, they attach pads (sort of like electrode pads) and it somehow pulses energy. However, I doubt they're able to use it for targeted therapy (compared to needles), so I'm not sure whether it'd be useful as a complementary therapy during fertility treatment. Could be at least worth asking about, though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had acupuncture a couple of years ago, I was face down majority of the time. Maybe if you lose consiousness, it might help in getting used to the sensation without actually seeing it if that makes sense..

Although, it didn't actually feel like a standard needle, but if you tense up with the knowledge the needle is about to go in maybe it would help.

Good luck, I walked away with THE BIGGEST headache, so drink plenty of fluids before going.
    Last edited by MumDadBoyandGirl; 09-04-2012 at 15:40.