+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can't expect him to have his insurance affected .. Good on you though for hanging around!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleTime View Post
    It's covered under his insurance, providing he has some.

I'd be getting him to put in a claim & pay the basic excess.
    His insurance company would be highly likely to chase the OP for it. It would be like hitting their car with your car and expecting them to pay for it. Their insurer will chase the OP for it if he tries to claim under his (a friend of mine had a similar situation).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually, a fair few insurance companies do offer "no claim bonus for life" these days. You dont loose it by claiming an incident. However, I was told your monthly rate goes up by 5% and then that goes back to 0 over the next 3 years that you dont claim. I was told this by my insurer which is the NRMA.

I do think you have done the right ting too and Karma will work positively for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think the other driver has been so nice about the whole situation, I'd just pay him what his friends charge. I'd hate to burden someone by making them get several quotes while they have a dent in their car. He sounds like a decent fella, I think he'll do right by you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The strange thing is, is that if you hit his car with your car, as the accident was on private property (not on a road), then neither party can claim from the other. I found this out the hard way when someone sideswiped my car in a car park. Even though it wasn't my fault, the claim was settled by the insurance companies as "no fault".

Hope it doesn't cost too much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2twinboys View Post
    The strange thing is, is that if you hit his car with your car, as the accident was on private property (not on a road), then neither party can claim from the other. I found this out the hard way when someone sideswiped my car in a car park. Even though it wasn't my fault, the claim was settled by the insurance companies as "no fault".

Hope it doesn't cost too much
    Hmmmm. I have an insurance background and I've not heard of this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had my car side swiped in a car park 2 weeks after I got it... wasn't very happy to go into the shops and find the whole side of my car ruined... the person left and didn't leave details... I had a few quotes done that we estimated around the $1000-$2000 mark.... my excess was $1500 I think... as the other party left and didn't leave any details etc I was going to have to make the claim myself through insurance... which I was trying to avoid doing... but it worked out better for me to make a claim then to pay for the repairs myself.... which luckily I did as the over all damage to the car when it was fixed was over $3500. I know the damage to my car was a bit more then just one dint.... but what im trying to get at is this... if he gets quotes to fix the car and decides not to go through insurance. make sure you get a written quotes so you don't end up paying a tonne more than you originally thought/agreed upon. also make sure that you pay the company the money for the repairs and not give the owner of the car the cash... so that you have a record of you paying for the repairs so that he cant claim later on that you never did... also ask him how much his excess is and if hed be willing to make a claim... as it might be more worth while going through the insurance company depending on how much the repairs are going to cost you... also... GOOD ON YOU FOR WAITING FOR THEM TO COME BACK!!!! I wish the person who damaged my car had waited for me to return and not been so (insert insult here)… hope that makes sense and helps a bit...???

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my car was just a month old, I saw this very old guy slamming his door into mine when I was visiting the ACT.
    I ran upto him before he got to drive off and asked him for his details. He told me to "Get used to cars being dented, look at his car! Its full of dents and scratches! Stop being so precious!"
    My reply: "Yes your car is well over 12 year old and the driver probably 12 times my age!"
    I got his number plate and make and model of the car and took this to the ANP. I had to fill in a large form and they aid they would look into it. Ofcourse now 3.5 years later, I am still waiting to hear back from them .
    Perhaps the reason why I never heard back from them, is indeed because it happened on a private carpark. Though not all carparks at shopping centers are private, a lot of them are. Might be worth checking with your council if it gets to that.

My excess was $600,- and the spray paint job would cost me $510,- so I ended up not claiming and paying it out of my own pocket

Thinking back now, I know I should have given his details to my insurance and get them to chase the old bugger up. I guess I didn't know at that time, that I couldn't get someone to pay for my damage, without having their details.
    The reason I contacted the ANP was that this guy was that very old and frail and his car was that badly damaged through time, that I believed he might be at risk of causing a serious accident on the road.