+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    This is where I don't get it. A child produced as the result of rape, if living with the victim, deserves financial support. The same child, if living with the parent who committed the crime, deserves to not be financially supported. How is it the child's fault?
    I know what you're saying. I personally wonder if a child should be living with the offender at all. It's a really tough one because then the only option (if the victim does not want custody) is for the child to be placed into care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Technically - a man being raped cannot result in pregnancy due to the definition of rape in the Crimes Act (in Victoria anyway). There is, however, a crime of "compelling sexual penetration" (which was introduced in Victoria in 2007) which could result in the perpetrator becoming pregnant with the victim's child. I imagine proving lack of consent in such a situation would be next to impossible. Similar to how it is for female rape victims trying to prove lack of consent. Anyone else see the huge risk of saying male victims of "compelling sexual penetration" do not need to pay CS for resulting babies? Men making false claims to avoid paying CS perhaps?

I don't see how a female victim of sexual assault who becomes pregnant and chooses to have the baby would ever be required to pay CS. Presumably if she keeps the baby she will either be the primary carer, or will have family look after the child and will probably contribute to its upbringing any way she can. If the baby is taken away that would be because she was not a fit parent, not because she was a rape victim.