+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default SPIN OFF: Should rape victims be forced to pay CS?

In light of the other thread going about the 15 year old being forced to pay CS I'm curious as what others think in regards to a victim being forced to pay CS? I am not talking statutory rape here, I am talking any rape, including spousal rape.

As a victim of spousal rape with my ex and catching the herpes virus which now impacts me both financially and health wise for the rest of my life I am dead against a victim being forced to pay under any circumstances. I could not imagine if I had to pay him each month for something that I did not want and tried to fight him off, it was his choice to do this to me and as a result I am out of pocket, but he went into with full knowledge that what he did put me at risk.

Now this did not result in a baby but if the positions where reversed and a male was forced into sex which resulted in a baby, do the rights of the baby really come into play? Or do the rights of a victim overrule?

Personally I think a rape charge and having that baby put into care is the best option, not a reminder of how the victim was violated and then have it be financial burdened for the next 18 years.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm sick as a dog today, but interested to see what others think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think rape victims should have to pay child support.

I don't think the rapist has the right to parent the child

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In 99% of cases I would say no. There are some instances though where the rape victim wants a part in the childs life and those cases are probably the only examples where a yes would be warranted. The money should be for the child, not the rapist.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TeenyT For This Useful Post:

PuppyGuts  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't have a blanket answer, it would depend on circumstances etc but I think there does need to be shift in attitudes towards child support from the view of 'punishing' or taking away from the parent paying cs to a view of support for a child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Interestingly, while I was reading online about the case in the other thread I stumbled upon this article
    Victim Ordered to Pay Attacker Spousal Support

Courtesy Crystal Harris

Victim Ordered to Pay Attacker Spousal Support

By CHRISTINA CARONApril 5, 2012

She was forced to have sex with him, and now she's being forced to pay his bills.
    Crystal Harris of Carlsbad, Calif., had been financially supporting her unemployed, abusive husband Shawn Harris for years. But after he sexually assaulted her in 2008, she took him to court.
    The jury heard a damning audiotape of the attack secretly recorded by Crystal Harris, and her husband was convicted of forced oral copulation.
    Even so, in 2010, the year their divorce became finalized, he requested spousal support. The judge awarded him $1,000 a month, and also asked Crystal Harris to pay $47,000 of her ex-husband's legal fees from the divorce proceedings.

Continued http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=14876268

And op miso sorry that happened to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    On one hand I think absolutely not... but then a child resulting from rape requires no less financial support than one who was the result of a consensual partnership, so I'm not exactly sure.

I do agree that a child should not be raised by a rapist though, and would therefore think if the law agreed, there'd be no need for a rape victim to pay child support, as that child would either be in their care or adopted out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Perhaps the baby should automatically be placed with the victim (if that's what the victim wants) just as children are automatically placed with the accused of abuse in some states in the US?

I agree with PPs, rapists would not make appropriate parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    I don't think rape victims should have to pay child support.

I don't think the rapist has the right to parent the child
    I just wanted to extend on this...

IMO, when two consenting adults have sex, they're not only consenting to the sex, but the consequences.

When someone is raped- statutory or otherwise- their consent for the sex and all subsequent consequences associated with sex is removed, and therefore, they're not responsible for child support, ect.

If the victim wanted the child in their life or have custody of their child, then that is their choice, but it shouldn't be forced upon them. How terribly traumatic for them if it is.

The rapist, IMO, should not have any right to custody of the child.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (10-04-2012),MissMuppet  (09-04-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wanted to extend on this...

IMO, when two consenting adults have sex, they're not only consenting to the sex, but the consequences.

When someone is raped- statutory or otherwise- their consent for the sex and all subsequent consequences associated with sex is removed, and therefore, they're not responsible for child support, ect.

If the victim wanted the child in their life or have custody of their child, then that is their choice, but it shouldn't be forced upon them. How terribly traumatic for them if it is.

The rapist, IMO, should not have any right to custody of the child.
    agree with both your posts.
    also think that in the other case being discussed if we start saying 'oh, if he'd (the victim) worn a condom there would be no baby' sets a dangerous precedent for a rapist to use a condom and then claim it was consentual, since protection was used.

Thanks
    Reviews

When someone is raped- statutory or otherwise- their consent for the sex and all subsequent consequences associated with sex is removed, and therefore, they're not responsible for child support, ect
    that sums it up for me.