+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 1 embryo or 2?

We will be starting IVF after been TTC for 4 years.completed 6 cycles of clomid with no luck.we went to see Dr Gareth at monash-melbourne,clayton,and he suggested to implant only one enbryo as we are under 35.but me and my hubby want to go for 2.basically its because to minimise the cost (we are struggling financially and hv borrowed money from family for IVF).
    Has anybody taken a risk by sticking to your decission? any regrets? plz help me here...loads of baby dust for you all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would suggest just transfer 1 on the first try - especially if you have a day 5 blastocyst.

You haven't been able to gather any evidence yet to indicate you have a problem with implantation, so transferring two may just be courting the risks without noticeably improving implantation odds.

Thinking through further, if you minimise the IVF cost and fall pregnant with twins (or more if they split into identicals), then you've increased your baby costs because of the various things you'll need two of. Is THAT cost effective when you're already struggling financially?

Thanks
    Reviews
    are you ok with twins? if yes, then go for it

my sis had 2 failed attempts with 1, then put 2 in on the third try & had twins

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, my FS told me that research showed that putting two embryos back doesn't actually increase the birth rate - it just increases the twinning rate. Also that twins face higher health risks, e.g. greater likelihood of prematurity with its associated problems. Perhaps research the risks associated with twin pregnancies and decide if its a risk you are prepared to take? Many people do, and everything works out fine, but best to research first and then make your decision. Do you know anyone with twins you can discuss it with? My sister and best friend both had twins and after seeing the amount of work involved I decided it wasn't something I could choose, but that is a very personal decision. My sister certainly hasn't regretted having her IVF twins!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't done IVF but I do have twins. I can imagine its very tempting to try for twins when you are struggling with infertility but I would never choose to have twins if I had my time again. Yes they are cute but the pregnancy was a struggle as was babyhood.
    And as the PP said, transferring 2 doesn't in itself increase your chance of success.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

niwanthi  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks so much for you opinion.i think we should go with one on the first attempt and c how it goes i guess
    thanks so much again..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had four transfers and transferred 2 embryos at the day 3 stage most of the time. One of these transfers resulted in a triplet pregnancy, so be careful as transferring more 2 embryos can result in twins or more which are a huge financial cost.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had transfers at day 2, 3 and 5. I've transferred between 1-3. I now, because of financial changes, would only transfer 1 or 2 again but it's a very personal choice. We have lots of family and friends close by and could afford 3 if it had happened. No one can tell you what to do but I wish you lots of baby dust regardless of what you choose to do.