Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I also like Flemington & Brunswick.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to amesv For This Useful Post:

pepper20  (13-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much to everyone for your opinions . It is so daunting thinking about moving somewhere I have never been. So Essendon, Williamstown and Caroline Springs are all ok places but just different in terms of living... New housing estates are not my taste either but it seems so cheap and close to where we need to be that it is kinda appealing if we are only going to be there for 18 months as long as it is safe as we will save so much money! But I am a stay at home mum so I don't want to feel isolated either... Williamstown looks lovely and we live right on the beach atm and I love it so I think I would love going for walks along the water. Essendon might be a happy medium?
    Now that I have a better idea I guess once we get there and have a look around hopefully we will feel which we like best
    Also was going to ask and hopefully some of you know... we are going to be ttc later this year, are any of those suburbs in the catchment for a good hospital?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I may be wrong so happy to be corrected but I think in Caroline springs you'd be in the catchment for sunshine hospital which has a great home birth program, but if you won't want to/are not eligible (low risk) I think some people find sunshine a bit hmmmmm....

If you are in yarraville/Williamson you may be able to squeeze into the royal women's but I'd ring and check. If you are in essendon you can prob go to the royal women's or mercy Heidelberg, but again- check. Both the women's and mercy have good reputations.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

pepper20  (13-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Definitely have a good look around all the places mentioned in this thread. I've lived in all of them except Caroline springs. Pm if you like, happy to discuss. If you're not into housing estates then i dont think
    Caroline springs is for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I may be wrong so happy to be corrected but I think in Caroline springs you'd be in the catchment for sunshine hospital which has a great home birth program, but if you won't want to/are not eligible (low risk) I think some people find sunshine a bit hmmmmm....

If you are in yarraville/Williamson you may be able to squeeze into the royal women's but I'd ring and check. If you are in essendon you can prob go to the royal women's or mercy Heidelberg, but again- check. Both the women's and mercy have good reputations.
    Thanks that's really helpful... I would love to home birth but I wouldn't be eligible. I had a bad experience at the hospital I had ds at so I will check with them before the move as I think this may also be a big factor in the final decision, I would like to be at one with a good reputation

Thanks
    Reviews
    When DD was born i was living in CSprings and delivered in RWH. All you need is a refferal from GP. Thank god i didnt have to at Sunshine Hosp. /Shudders.

Williamstown has housing commition. Stay away from that block of flats

Sent from my GT-I5503T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian Netting View Post
    When DD was born i was living in CSprings and delivered in RWH. All you need is a refferal from GP. Thank god i didnt have to at Sunshine Hosp. /Shudders.

Williamstown has housing commition. Stay away from that block of flats

Sent from my GT-I5503T using BubHub
    I'd kill for one of those commission flats - they have views right across the bay and are on the water's edge!

OP, RWH is the major hospital for birthing women in Melbs and all of those suburbs will get you access.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

pepper20  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I were u I will choose to stay in Essendon. So much closer to the city. I used to live near CS. Not much out there to be honest. Nice and spacious houses though.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to stephaniesmith2012 For This Useful Post:

pepper20  (16-04-2012)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yarraville is lovely.. it has a quirky vintage feel, which I like Can be pricey for rentals, but if you say you are willing to spend $700 a week, you'd have no probs.
    I like Footscray, it's under-rated in my opinion.. it's because of the drug scene, which is a shame, because it's great for restaurants and bargain shopping.. be sure to visit the Chinese restaurant 'Poons'... nom nom nom
    As for safety, I wouldn't travel alone at night with a child anywhere, in any suburb, so just use your descretion. I've lived in Melbourne's western suburbs my entire life. And yes, Williamstown is gorgeous, if I could choose any suburb in the west to live, it'd be Williamstown for sure.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

pepper20  (16-04-2012)

Guest Guest
    I've lived here all my life, the best suburbs on your list are Yarraville, Seddon, West Footscray, Maribyrnong, Williamstown, Flemington, Ascot Vale, Essendon. Caroline Springs, yes it's cheap but you'll find a nice house for under $700 in all these suburbs. These suburbs are the oldest and well established, they have lovely cafes and shops, everything you need for kids, are close to the city and have the best transport services compared to new areas. Caroline Springs is a new estate surrounded by freeways and suburbs like Deer Park etc. They aren't safer imo, and everytime I've been there I always see hoons in hotted up cars

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

pepper20  (16-04-2012)