+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DH has shingles at the moment on his lower back. He went to the dr two days after the rash appeared (had blistered by this time) and dr gave him antibiotics & said the earlier you start them the better. The rash is clearing up & he has been unwell & really tired. I'd go to the dr as soon as possible.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenga For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had shingles at first I thought I was bitten by something it was on my side where my bra sits. I went to the dr she said it might be bites & to come back in 2 days.
    At the second app she said it was shingles but because she diagnosed it after 3 days there was nothing I could do but wait it out.
    I had it for about a month it was itchy and painful.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mjayneb For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It started as a pimple on my side, then grew into a blister, which eventually cracked and oozes like an overgrown cold sore. Despite my best efforts, my toddler contracted chicken pox from me and passed it on to the rest of her sisters (including the breastfed six month old baby).

I wasn't overly effected by my outbreak - just localised itching and pain.

Also I will note that whilst I had been exposed to chicken pox multiple times as a child, I didn't believe I had ever contracted it. The doctor said I must've had such a mild dose that I didn't even notice, since you cannot get shingles if you haven't had chicken pox.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 09-04-2012 at 10:02.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had shingles in my final weeks of pregnancy. It looked like a severe rash that spread from the corner of my ribcage across, following the line of the nerves. I was extremely lucky because it didn't itch much and it only hurt when I bumped it. I've heard of extreme cases where even the touch of a bedsheet causes agony.

Shingles, being caused by the chicken pox virus, can spread chicken pox to people who have no immunity to the virus. It's important to cover the rash and wash your hands thoroughly after touching it. It's contagious while the pustules are weeping. Once the spots are dry and falling off it shouldn't be contagious anymore, though I have to admit I was ultra careful until the rash disappeared entirely.

My shingles completely changed my delivery plan. Since the last thing a hospital wants is to give chicken pox to new mums or newborn babies I couldn't have the water birth I'd hoped for. Too much chance that the virus would infect the birthing tub. The only midwives I could have had to have previously had chicken pox. On the upside I got a room to myself! I was worried about the baby but it turns out your breastmilk passes on enough antibodies that your newborn shouldn't catch chicken pox from you. I quarantined myself in my room even though the nurses said I was past the infectious stage and hand washing should be enough to prevent spreading it. I'd never have forgiven myself if I'd given chicken pox to a newborn.

I hope your shingles clear up really quickly.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to EvilWombatQueen For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Missie... You are so right. It's very expensive! My mum actually went to ask her doctor for it without symptoms etc. but here in Australia they don't just give it. My mum on her last trip to USA paid to get it done there because she was worried about getting shingles. Wasn't cheap but she has peace of mind.
    Anyway... That was an aside to to the thread!! Haha

I hope OP is feeling okay and managed to get to doctor or something.
    Last edited by Tamtam; 09-04-2012 at 10:49.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've had them 3 times and they're horrible! Painful and I was totally exhausted.

You do only have about 24 hours to start antibiotics otherwise they're useless which is horrible hope you made it in time!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dad had it a few months ago. I agree with PPs, if you want the meds you need to get in very quickly, within 24 hours. Apart from that, the best treatment is lots of rest, and lots of fruit and veggies to top up the immune system. Oatmeal baths or calamine lotion can help too, antihistamines can reduce the itching, and pain killers the pain from them. Cool, wet compresses can be good too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Berrie For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    To all the ladies who replied. I do have them But hopefully wont be severe case... Thank you to all who wrote about their experiences. xx

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Hopefully it's only a mild case did the doctor give you anything?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Myztik For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    U poor thing I had them but because I got to doc within 72hr of the rash appearing I got some meds and was fine. Hope u got it in time

19. The Following User Says Thank You to tjewell For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (09-04-2012)