+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My FIL has really annoyed me!

You know when people think they are being funny and they just are not? Well today it really ****ed me off!

A bit of background info:
    On Friday we went to a family thing and my BIL's girlfriend and her 6 year old DD was there, first time I have met them. the GF was really nice and her little girl so sweet. It was the first time she had met most of the family and I think maybe the 3rd or 4th time she had met my MIL and FIL.
    Anyway I spent some time chatting to her and a couple of hours later DH, DD and I left. After we had left BIL's GF's DD was doing something and I think her mum told her off, FIL says sort of jokingly but it's always hard to tell with him "do you want me to smack her for you?" to which the mum says something along the lines of "no way in hell! she doesn't get smacked thank you!" although i think she worded it more politely. Anyway I found out all this today as at Easter breakfast this morning FIL was complaining how he got put in his place by BIL GF. I then said to him, "well I would have told you the same thing if you had said that about DD" to which he replied " oh I'm going to whack her!" and I said " if you do then you won't be seeing her ever again" and the he said "oh I know where you live". And MIL just laughs and agrees!

Oh my god. I just can't believe him! It's like he says things like this to intentionally **** me off.

I'm already so anxious leaving my DD with people ( which he knows) and when I hear things like this it just makes me never want to have them babysit DD.

It's like he thinks that just because he is the grandfather he can do whatever he wants!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    that man would never ever be left alone with my child...no discussion.

Seriously, if someone disrespected my child like that...I would not trust them to care for either of them properly. Just as if they threatened to whack me, it is disrespectful to threaten my child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry things like smacking children isn't joke material.

My FIL actually grabbed my DS's arm one day and pushed him towards me in a rough manner, when I was calling him and that was enough for me never to let that man be alone with my son at anytime. Just because he is my FIL doesn't mean he had any right to touch my child in a way that I wouldn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have just said to him,

" Joke all you want but I will never leave you alone with my child if you think you have the right to smack her", then walk off.

I would also get your DH to back you up IF the FIL brings it up again and show him what an unfunny joker he is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    ILs always say to DD "do you want a nice little smack?" WTH!!?? Stop blooding saying it, it's inappropriate!!
    Lucky DD always says "no smacking is naughty, we don't smack". I have told the
    That many times to drop it but nooo...

Thanks
    Reviews
    My step father said something similar to dp once about ds1. Dp wasn't impressed.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    that man would never ever be left alone with my child...no discussion.

Seriously, if someone disrespected my child like that...I would not trust them to care for either of them properly. Just as if they threatened to whack me, it is disrespectful to threaten my child.
    i agree!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have found that funny, but then again I tell me kids I would smack them if they being naughty and I do.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hers&Hers For This Useful Post:

Sparker  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm. It's a hard one. Some people (myself included) make very inappropriate jokes sometimes. If I knew he was just saying to be funny (which it isn't), then I wouldn't worry. If I thought there was a chance he would follow through, well then I wouldn't never leave him with DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all for your replies. When I started the thread it was fresh and I was still angry. I have had time to calm down and I know that my FIL loves my DD to bits, he generally is really good with her, showing her things and playing.
    I'm hoping my reaction to him has given him and MIL a bit of a warning as to how we feel about smacking. Have spoken to DH and we have agreed we will discuss it with them before we leave DD with them in the future.
    FIL does have a strange sense of humour and I can't always tell when he is being serious or not