+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default yoga to lose weight? anyone practise yoga?

Hi everyone,
    so i am getting ready to put myself together, in order to do that i need to see a nutritionist, join the gym and eat real healthy to lose some weight.
    i really hate the gym....
    and i live across the road from a yoga place, so i was thinking this time i should do something i really want to do, i did some research tonight and it looks hard but yet something i can stick with.

Anyone used yoga as exercise to lose weight?

Anyone practise yoga on a regular basis? which beginner class i should take?

Any info about yoga in general?

I had a emergency c-section a year ago, not only i still have a bit of baby weight but my body need to be energise again...

thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yoga will help you firm up, but your diet will have to be perfect. My aunt is a yoga/meditation teacher, and I asked her once whether people who do yoga are fit/slim because of the yoga or because of their lifestyle (diet/nutrition etc), and she said definitely more to do with lifestyle. I would do yoga as well as other things, if I was looking to lose weight, not just rely solely on the yoga, IYKWIM.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cheers hollywood
    I was thinking the same thing, "firm up" is the right term. Yoga is also a mind exercise that help to boost the motivation to eat healthier and have more energy???!!! I am amazed from what I am learning tonight reading about yoga ... I haven't tried tho haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bikram yoga rocks! I wish that I was able to go. It's yoga in a hot room and excellent exercise. The first time I managed some of the poses I got such a high, it was amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by scotmum2be View Post
    Bikram yoga rocks! I wish that I was able to go. It's yoga in a hot room and excellent exercise. The first time I managed some of the poses I got such a high, it was amazing.

bikram yoga sounds pretty amazing! have been practising lots?

Tomorrow i'll cross the road and book myself in for the next semester!

for now well i am eating easter eggssss...... HA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yoga is great for toning when you're eating well and also doing cardio and weights. All of those things go hand in hand for a great healthy body (and mind!)

I do cardio 3 times, weights 2 times and yoga/toning 2 times a week. But find no matter how much exercise I do, my weight goes up if I have a bad eating week food is 80% of weightloss and weight maintenance

Thanks
    Reviews
    bumpbump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by scotmum2be View Post
    I second bikram yoga. I use to go to a studio when I lived in London. I lost about 5kg in two weeks. I think that was due to it being such an intense workout, plus you have to drink heaps of water to keep your body hydrated. also I put so much effort into the classes, I no longer wanted to eat junk and started eating super healthy.
    I wish they had Bikram where I live now.

Milky mumma since July 2011

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. I stopped practicing when ttc. Dh and I just did not feel comfortable with me exercising in the extreme heat. I think I might try and start back until we decide to have number 2.

Hope your yoga journey goes well. Keep us posted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yoga is excellent for fitness (I should listen to myself but I hate doing it!) My mother is a yoga teacher and it's definately great for the body. Some poses are not good for when you are pregnant but as long as you let the yoga teacher know when you are she/he will be able to tell you as you go what not to do.
    It's also fantastic post birth, to firm up your tummy and get your other muscles back into shape.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to misspumpkin For This Useful Post:

AliceandJulian  (09-04-2012)