• Follow some of the guidelines

22 62.86%
  • Don't bother with the guidelines

1 2.86%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I followed most.

Dd had safe cot, bassinet, mattress bedding.
    No toys, comforters, pillows but had bumpers to protect her as when she started to become mobile would crawl and roll into the sides all night. I was scared she get a concussion actually
    Her basinet was beside our bed until she outgrew it and was rolling over in her sleep at five months and her cot didn't fit into our room
    We co sleep. Dh and I don't smoke and she never came in after we had been drinking or on heavy medication but we still used our own blankets and pillows
    Dd slept on her tummy from five months when she started rolling this is how she would choose to sleep
    When she was very young her day naps were mostly right next to me and I'd allow her to sleep on her tummy occasionally especially if she fell asleep while having tummy time. She was never left alone on her tummy though she was under constant supervision and I'd roll her over after a bit

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We don't follow one and five. All my bubs sleep on their tummies and in their own room. But the rest we follow

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Most... except I co-slept for about 3 months.

They say a "safe sleeping environment," and to me, it was safe. I never got into a deep sleep during that time, and was constantly aware of her. There was no risk of me rolling over on her, because my sleep was so shallow I just couldn't. It's actually why I moved her to her cot... I needed to be able to get a better quality sleep, and I couldn't do that safely with her in my bed (others might, but I didn't feel I could).

The others I abided by - she had no junk in her cot and her blankets were always tucked in firmly, with her feet at the end. On her back to sleep, and wasn't exposed to cigarette smoke.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    All, except she had a soft toy in the first 12 months.

We kept her in our room for the first 6 months, but does anyone know why that is a SIDS guideline? Is it so that you hear anything happening?? We did it, but I'm still not sure what it is about being in our room that would make a difference.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some. DS slept in our room with no soft toys etc BUT he slept on his tummy from 2 weeks old. That was the main rule we broke.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    We follow all of them except both kids went into their own room otherwise they keep me awake and I don't get much sleep. Our house isn't huge and I can hear them from the nursery anyway, just not as loudly!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I follow some, and use my common sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did a lot of research (in '03) and spoke to Sids and Kids before co-sleeping which was safest in our circumstances. So while I did have her in my bed, I am not a heavy sleeper, we live in NQ so doonas and things were never an issue, I don't smoke, was not drinking when pregnant or breastfeeding, was not on medication, had a bed that could give the baby her own space away from me but still in arm's reach, and I was not sleep deprived.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have never looked up the guidelines I just use common sense.. My dd co slept, my ds hates sleeping with us, he is 7 months old he sleeps on his tummy he has a soft toy in his cot he also has a cuddle rug which 90% of the time is over his face.. So I guess I don't but I check on him before bed and wake often to check on him he won't sleep without it but he has slept with something on his face since he was able to pull the blankets up on his face!

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    the guidelines are based on empirical evidence, rather than gut feel which is far more reliable.

our culture is different to the eastern cultures in many ways, but without knowing why & how it is different in relation to SIDS it is difficult to ignore the guidelines which have greatly reduced the incidence of SIDS in western cultures.

There is still so much we do not know about the disorder.

We stick to the guidelines pretty much to the letter.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ulysses For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (10-04-2012)