• Follow some of the guidelines

22 62.86%
  • Don't bother with the guidelines

1 2.86%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default SIDS guidelines - bother/don't bother?

Another thread - the one about what age did your baby go into their own room - got me wondering what people think about SIDS Safe sleeping guidelines these days.

Do you:
    Follow all of the guidelines
    Follow some of the guidelines
    Don't bother with the guidelines

SIDS guidelines to help your baby sleep safely

1. Sleep baby on the back from birth, not on the tummy or side
    2. Sleep baby with face uncovered (no doonas, pillows, lambs wool, bumpers or soft toys)
    3. Avoid exposing babies to tobacco smoke before birth and after
    4. Provide a safe sleeping environment (safe cot, safe mattress, safe bedding)
    5. Sleep baby in their own safe sleeping environment next to the parent’s bed for the first six to twelve months of life
    Poll to follow
    Last edited by bada; 08-04-2012 at 21:52.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we follow the guidelines but bedshare if they wake in the night for feeds, from birth, with a cosleeper bed insert.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    so we follow some of the guidelines, however in countries where cosleeping and bedsharing is the majority, the 'beside parent bed' bit isnt in their sids guidelines

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (09-04-2012),Etienne  (09-04-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (08-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I follow most of the guidlines, sleep DS on his back, only co sleep from 5am if wakes up then, slept in our room till 7 months old, no bedding as he sleeps in a sleeping sac....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it all comes down to common sense really and using your best judgement.

I did pretty much everything on that list. The only things that differed were that we didn't co-sleep and at 4 months they rolled themselves over onto their tummy all the time no matter how often we rolled them back so we just had to stop swaddling them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am paranoid about sids, so I'm quite dilligent with following the sids guidelines. I've heard too many stories! And my uni education in Early Childhood has made me very aware of the risks, so I'm very careful.
    Last edited by Cinderella82; 08-04-2012 at 22:27.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    well all, except bubba sleeping in my room until 6 months, he was too big for the bassinet by 5 month and his cot wouldnt fit in our room.

but we had/have one of those super expensive breathing censor monitor thingos which gave me piece of mind a little.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Kind of followed but my first 2 had a teddy bear each (don't remember that being in the guidelines back then but maybe I just didn't know?) and all three have liked sleeping with a nappy or wrap or something over their head!!??? Weird- we just used to take it off as soon as they were asleep. They all also spent some time in our bed, but mostly in their cot right next to the bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I follow all of them... they are common sense things anyway really... except for my babies co-sleep... so i guess i dont "Sleep baby in their own safe sleeping environment next to the parent’s bed for the first six to twelve months of life"... they have a safe sleeping environment IN their parents bed

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (09-04-2012),jemmajam  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leoness79 View Post
    I follow most of the guidlines, sleep DS on his back, only co sleep from 5am if wakes up then, slept in our room till 7 months old, no bedding as he sleeps in a sleeping sac....
    This is exactly me with DD, she's 6 months. So even though she ends up in bed with me most nights anywhere from 3am to 5am onwards, she is on top of the covers, still in her sleeping bag so she is more safe than she would be if she was under the blanket/sheet with me.