+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default need help weaning of bottles

hi all, my ds is 13 months now and was needing some help weaning him off bottles completely as i dont want the milk to start ruining his teeth. i have weaned him down to 2x 240 mls bottles in a 24hour period. in the morning when he wakes up any where between 6 and 7:30 he has his first bottle and his other bottle is before he goes to bed. his normal routine is:
    between 6-7:30: 240mls bottles
    9-9:30: breakfast
    12-12:30: lunch
    somewhere in here is a nap (doesnt sleep well during the day)
    2-3: snack
    5-5:30: tea
    6-6:30: bath
    7: bottle and sleep
    now thats pretty much his routine everyday and so he is used to getting up having his bottle and going to bed with a bottle so how do i take them out of his routine and still make sure that he is is full enough to get through the few hours before breakfast and the couple hours after tea before he goes to sleep?
    thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't think 2 bottles a day is a concern. My son still has 2 bottles and he's 20 months.

If you are worried about teeth, just give him milk before putting him in bed and brushing teeth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeh I wouldn't worry just yet, my Dd is 21 months and has 2 bottles a day, one for nap time, one for bed time! You could try though replacing it with water or watering the milk down ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    i agree with last post that 2 bottles isn't a problem. But If he has plenty of healthy snacks he won't need the milk. Just give breakfast when you'd normally give milk first thing in the morning and then a snack a couple hours later. You could try giving milk from a beaker with his morning tea, but probably won't need it if eating enough. Plus my ds won't take milk from a beaker so dropped all bottles except the bedtime one as helps him get drowsy.

My rule of thumb is offer something to eat every 2 hrs so they don't get too hungry. Maybe offer yogurt or a fruit smoothie as a milk alternative so still getting the dairy protein and calcium.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Are you worried about the bottles, or the milk? You could swap a bottle for a sippy cup or straw cup.

i think the teeth problem is if baby goes to bed with a bottle and the milk pools in the mouth - sugars etc can lead to problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks everyone was only really worried as ds is my first and the health nurse said to start weaning him off bottles and formula all together but i have tried him on cows milk and at the moment he's not interested in it. throughout the day he has lots of water in a sippy cup, so there is no problem using a sippy cup. i think the health nurse just likes to worry me