+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    No offence intended but...Rape victim my @rse.... There is only 4 years age difference and I betHe had a smile on his face when he was getting his rocks off.... Society should Save the term rape for when the sex was Non consensual and/or the age gap was much greater.
    Rape is rape. It's quite black and white in this instance. He was/is child under law and she was an adult. He may have been willing but legally cannot consent. She was willing and was required by law to say no. It's not about gender, or willingness or desire it's about the law. We are not really debating the law as the decision in this case is done and dusted. The age difference will come into play only when considering the sentence. If you change the law to allow this kind of event, you place a lot of other children at risk. The law, the age of consent and the age of being recognized as an adult should not be altered IMO.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Benji  (09-04-2012),Bubmum  (10-04-2012),Deserama  (09-04-2012),LoveLivesHere  (09-04-2012),lovesushi  (10-04-2012),Witwicky  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A child is unable to give consent at that age - end of the story! Hence the law! I don't give two sh!ts if he's 15 years and 11 months...the law's the law! If you twist this one then you'd have to twist others too and say "Weeeeeell technically it isn't rape...." Well it is - that's that! No arguement!

As for whether he should pay for the child...well I'm at two minds with this. CS is for THE CHILD not the mother. The child, whether it's a product of rape or not, needs to eat. Why should the child pay for the sins of the mother?

And, if his family want custody, obviously they'd be forking out a whole heck of a lot more than a measely $50 a month. Why aren't they jumping up and down about that? In fact they are FIGHTING for that right. Certainly makes them look like hypocrites as far as I'm concerned.

If you think it's so unfair that your child is having to pay money after being raped then why the hell are you fighting for custody where he'd end up having to pay way more money? Doesn't make sense to me.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (10-04-2012),share a book  (09-04-2012),WorkingClassMum  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    Rape is rape. It's quite black and white in this instance. He was/is child under law and she was an adult. He may have been willing but legally cannot consent. She was willing and was required by law to say no. It's not about gender, or willingness or desire it's about the law. We are not really debating the law as the decision in this case is done and dusted. The age difference will come into play only when considering the sentence. If you change the law to allow this kind of event, you place a lot of other children at risk. The law, the age of consent and the age of being recognized as an adult should not be altered IMO.
    Yes this ^^ Very slippery slope if we're going to change laws around to suit situations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    A child is unable to give consent at that age - end of the story! Hence the law! I don't give two sh!ts if he's 15 years and 11 months...the law's the law! If you twist this one then you'd have to twist others too and say "Weeeeeell technically it isn't rape...." Well it is - that's that! No arguement!

As for whether he should pay for the child...well I'm at two minds with this. CS is for THE CHILD not the mother. The child, whether it's a product of rape or not, needs to eat. Why should the child pay for the sins of the mother?
    And why should the bio father pay for the sins of the mother?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zombiekitty For This Useful Post:

singlemumma82  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiekitty View Post
    This is it! End of story! How can you force a victim to pay for something they where forced into doing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Perhaps in cases like this, the boy should not be forced to pay CS. However, the baby needs caring for and that costs money. I don't think the grandparents of this baby would like the thought of baby going hungry because of a lack of funds. I do think the baby belongs with the victim and his family, but sadly it will cost them a LOT more than a mere $50 per month to raise. I believe the perpetrator should be forced to pay once the baby is with the victim's family and I would have zero sympathy if/when she complains that she can't afford CS.

I do agree with WCM - there simply has to be an age of consent and it has to be enforced strongly! If there isn't we'd see more very young children abused by much older adults without consequence. It's already EXTREMELY difficult to have someone charged and convicted of sexual assault even though the laws are quite clear. I would hate to see it become even harder

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiekitty View Post
    Because the child still needs to eat. The child still has the right to be financially supported by BOTH parents like ANY OTHER CHILD! That's why!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

share a book  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Because the child still needs to eat. The child still has the right to be financially supported by BOTH parents like ANY OTHER CHILD! That's why!
    I think perhapsin sensitive cases like this, the baby could be supported by government or food stamps/whatever. It does seem like a bit of a slap in the face to have to hand over cash when he had no choice in becoming a parent Until the laws change you're right, we can't see children going to bed hungry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well then the onus is on the victim to give up parental rights. This child can give up all his parental rights and never have to pay CS EVER! Problem solved!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    While the child needs to be supported the boy his in no way responsible for financial supporting the child. He was raped- he did not have the ability to consent to the sex, or any of the subsequent consequences associated to it such as child support.

The parents wanting custody of the child, is completely different to the boy being made to pay child support, simply because the boy himself should not bare any responsibility as he is a victim who did not consent to the act that lead to conception. His parents want custody because they want the best for the baby, which seems like a kind and reasonable act.

Anyway- the baby is in the care of it's mother, who is a rapist, living with other abusers and criminals, so the mothers ability to care for this child is already questionable. Perhaps the boys family do not wish to pay child support because they fear the money would not be used on to care for the baby?

I don't understand why so many PP's think the child is financially responsible for the baby, or would criticize the parents of the boy for wanting to step in an have custody of the baby to provide a better home life. Living with the boys parents seems like a considerable better option than living with a rapist.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (10-04-2012)