+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Maybe this is betterr in a spin off - but I do not think people mature earlier these days, in fact I think its the complete opposites. In centuries past right up to my parents generation people have left school at 12 and 13 and gone to work. Girls as young as 15 were sent to Australia as orphans and went straight to work. My mother and my FIL were both working full time jobs as 13yos. My GGM was married at 16 with a baby. The myth of having a childhood and playing with dolls 'til 12 has really only been possible post WW2. I think children are adultified too early with sexual connotations and kids are not taught responsibility when handed their charter of rights. That being said, there has to be a very clear line drawn in the sand as to where adult responsibility starts and childish indiscretion is allowed. I also think it needs to be a universal line as far as possible or at least for Australians Australian wide. Yes, what this woman did does not compare with what some people do to very little kids, and there are different laws in Australia to allow for that which are recognized in the sentencing of these people.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Benji  (11-04-2012),Deserama  (11-04-2012),Luna Lovegood  (11-04-2012),MissMuppet  (11-04-2012),sweetseven  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiekitty View Post
    They might be but they are still children and it's proven that their brains aren't developed enough to fully understand risks, hence the law.
    That is true but he still had unprotected sex. My hubby did with an older girl and found out he was going to be a father at 14 and was 15 when miss ten was born. He stepped up and paid child support as it was his decision to have sex. She was older and legally not allowed to have sex with him but he still made the decision to act on his male hormones. Why should a baby miss out?
    I can guarantee that if I came on here and said my husband had a ten year old born when he was 15 to an older woman that he didn't pay any child support for alot of you would then sit there and bag him down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GluttonForPunishment View Post
    I know what you're saying and I understand. I've been arguing from the point of view of the law. When, then, does everyone think the age of consent should be? There's been people on here saying "HE SHOULD HAVE WORN A CONDOM!!"

He's a child!! In the eyes of the law, he's a child.

So when do you feel that you should reach out to this young boy and feel sorry for him that he was taken advantage of by an adult? 14? 13? 12? 5? When does "oh, he enjoyed it" stop and "oh my god, she's sick to have done this" start? When do you all empathise with the victim and when do you stop standing up for the perpetrator?
    Well everyone was up in arms about the story of the pregnant ten year old the other day. So apparently it's somewhere between the ages of 11 and 15.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bada For This Useful Post:

GluttonForPunishment  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lettabean View Post
    That is true but he still had unprotected sex. My hubby did with an older girl and found out he was going to be a father at 14 and was 15 when miss ten was born. He stepped up and paid child support as it was his decision to have sex. She was older and legally not allowed to have sex with him but he still made the decision to act on his male hormones. Why should a baby miss out?
    I can guarantee that if I came on here and said my husband had a ten year old born when he was 15 to an older woman that he didn't pay any child support for alot of you would then sit there and bag him down.
    If he chose to pay child support and have a part in the child's life then good for him.
    Still doesn't change facts.
    Kids are kids. Some may have sex earlier these days but that doesn't make them adults.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zombiekitty For This Useful Post:

GluttonForPunishment  (11-04-2012),MissMuppet  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bada View Post
    Well everyone was up in arms about the story of the pregnant ten year old the other day. So apparently it's somewhere between the ages of 11 and 15.
    Yeah... Somewhere between 11 and 16 depending on the age of the other person and the maturity of those involved. Not all offences within that range should be labelled rape though.

For example:
    - if two 12 year olds have consensual sex, that should be a clear case of misdemenour activity/child neglect. The recourse for that should be education for the kids and an investigation of the parents/home situation by CHild protection services.

- if a 12 year old has sex with a 20 year old then that's statuatory rape.
    - a 15 year old has nonconsensual sex With a 19 year old that is rape
    - if a 15 year old has consensual sex with a 19 year old then that's some type of 'questionable sexual activity' . The recourse should be education for both parties, a physchological evaluation of both to determine maturity levels/if the 15 year old was happy and consenting or was pushed into sex. If the parents want to press charges then there's an automatic opening of a case with child protective services. The parents can't claim their child was abused and then say they are not responsible
    For supervising their child and ensuring they are safe. The case would only progress to court if the physchological evaluation revealed a vast difference in maturity amongst the 15/19 year old and/or a likelihood that there was an abuse of power/pressuring into sex by the 19 year old... AND some type of mental
    Damage to the 15 year old.

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by VicPark; 11-04-2012 at 09:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    I really cant get over the double standards in here...by the standards in this thread if a woman came on to BH and said she had been drugged, raped and wished to terminate her pregnancy resulting from the rape, everyone would be supportive, give her virtual hugs, offer to talk if she needs it, and so on.

However, if a man came on here, and had been raped and the rape resulted in a child and he was expressing his desires to terminate his responsibility to the child, we would be telling him to pay child support, and deal with it.

How unfair. Just because female on male rape is less common doesn't mean it's not existent and the victims don't deserve equal rights.
    No double standards from me. Once a baby is here, living, breathing, eating, using utilities, that baby costs money. Both parents need to be financially responsible for that baby.

Also, just about the point you tried to make, according to some people on BH, I should not expect to be assisted by my child's father, nor by the govt in the absence of CS, because I had the option to terminate and chose not to. Wonderful support hey!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubmum View Post
    In my eyes, she was well out of order. You don't have sex with children, end of story, no arguments, no here there or everywhere excuses. And she lied about it, she knew what she was doing was wrong, so sorry love, you shouldn't have done it. You got caught out, and now the weight of that is falling down on your head. And yes, my own past colours how I view this, it is a personal issue, so everyone will have that reasoning in front of the issue. This is why the law exists, because we are so often swayed by our own experiences.

And as far as why the law exists..it is their for the protection of minors, not entirely for the persecution of the adults, because all children deserve to be protected, not just the ones that we deem worthy.
    Yep I agree. I don't think there can really be a spectrum where someone is 'kinda' a sex offender. We don't know what the impact is down the road for a lot of victims, to try and put offences on a scale as bad or not that bad, diminishes what has happened to the victim. Well said Bubmum - 'you don't have sex with
    children'. Simple.
    Last edited by babyla; 11-04-2012 at 16:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Last edited by Stiflers Mom; 12-04-2012 at 21:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    No double standards from me. Once a baby is here, living, breathing, eating, using utilities, that baby costs money. Both parents need to be financially responsible for that baby.

Also, just about the point you tried to make, according to some people on BH, I should not expect to be assisted by my child's father, nor by the govt in the absence of CS, because I had the option to terminate and chose not to. Wonderful support hey!
    You've really missed my point by a long shot.

The victim should not be forced to pay child support because they did not consent to the sex or any further action. The victim has the choice to keep the pregnancy/be a parent involved in the child's life, but they shouldn't be forced by having to keep the baby or pay child support. The victim deserves to have a choice.

From what I've read, your the victim and your child's father is the perpertrator, and he deserves to pay and more than financially! However, when you fell pregnant you made a choice to keep the baby, and therefore be responsible for your baby. That's amazing, and not many people could do that.

I'm sorry if you took offence, but I am pro-victim. In the case in the OP the baby needs to be in a loving, supportive home, which by the sounds of it, neither biological parent can provide. I agree with you that the child is also a victim, but to force the 16yo into paying is cruel. The best option is an alternative carer (the boys parents, adoptions, etc).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

singlemumma82  (11-04-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was 15, I was completely blasé about sex. I knew, theoretically, that if I had unprotected sex with a male, I had a chance of pregnancy. But I couldn't process that truly rationally. My desire to have sex would have outweighed my comprehension of the consequences. The age of consent exists for a reason and there's no way I would have sex with some under that age because I really disagree that they do fully understand what they're doing.

And I also wholeheartedly agree with everything WCM said above.