+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Africa?

Thinking of taking ds 2 on a safari holiday in a year or 2 ( many game parks don't allow children under 4 for safety) has anyone travelled to south Africa? Is it as dangerous as some make out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've been and it's the same as other countries - unsafe in some areas, fine in others. It all depends on where you go and what you are doing.

But if you are looking at doing safaris, I would suggest Kenya rather than South Africa. I've done both and the Massai Mara is incredible and much more prolific with wildlife than Kruger.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Africa is AMAZING.

I travelled there for a few months 2 years ago, but I was mostly in Malawi, Tanzania and Zambia.

I did go to South Africa though and while Cape Town and anywhere that isn't Johannesburg is much safer than Johannesburg, honestly I'd be reluctant to go to there over some other African countries.

I did 2 safaris, one in Botswana in the Chobe, where there is the biggest elephant population in Africa and it was quite lovely, and Botswana is a lovely, peaceful African nation (comparatively) and the other one in the Serengeti - can I recommend you consider Tanzania?

Tanzania is safer than South Africa, though with all African nations, it changes suddenly and you must exercise caution all the time but the advantages of Tanzania:

- the Serengeti is amazing, and you can also go to Ngoro Ngoro crater which is INCREDIBLE. It's also the setting of the Lion King. I think Falls Gate National Park contains 'pride rock' which is cool
    - Arusha, the main city you would stay in is quite nice, has great markets, really nice ex-pat cafes for if you feel like eating something you know will be 'safe' and it's also close to Mt. Kilimanjaro
    - Tanzanians are almost as friendly as Malawians!
    - You can go to Zanzibar. It's off the coast of Dar Es Salaam and is paradise. I would recommend Zanzibar to anyone going to Africa!

Malawi is also AMAZING. I lived there for the majority of my time in Africa and Lake Malawi is stunning. But it's not really 'safari' nation.

How long are you thinking of going for? I was doing volunteer work in Malawi, but I also managed to go to Victoria Falls (the Zambia side) which is completely awe inspiring - I swam on the top of the falls, ngorongoro crater, safari, day safari in Botswana, short trip to Lake Malawi, a week in Zanzibar, a few days in Nairobi and a just under a week in Cape Town.

I love Africa! Please ask me anything I think I might post some of my pics here too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Zanzibar sunset

Victoria Falls

Stonetown, Zanzibar

Life on Lake Malawi

Where I lived in Malawi

some safari pics

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dammit rainbow - Africa was one of the only places I didn't want to go... Now I'm seriously tempted! Must save so much money for endless travel

Thanks
    Reviews
    After having been to Africa, I honestly don't think I need to go anywhere but back there. It's incredible. So primal. So earthy. It made me think a lot about myself as a person. It's amazing. The most amazing part of it is just living with the locals...

One of my highlights was wearing someone's baby 6 kms down a dirt road because she was too weak to carry him (malaria) so we took her to the hospital. It was so beautiful and so so sad at the same time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to live in Tzaneen, near Kruger Park in South Africa. It's amazing, but yes, you do you need to be cautious of your safety. But it depends on what you are doing. Flying into a game farm, staying a week and flying home - no worries. But also really boring! Try and see more of the country if you can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hubby and I went to South Africa for our honeymoon. LOVED it! We did a 7 day safari at Makutsi Lodge (up around Phalabora) and it was fantastic. They organise all your safari tours, a tour to the local village and day trips including one to Kruger National Park (but you are in a covered van and it is no where near as good as the private safaris and cannnot get as close to the animals as you need to stay on the bitumen roads). Would be a great place for children. Family run business and very friendly. All the animals just walk around your little huts. You wake up and look outside to see giraffes just walking past your window.

Cape Town is absoloutely stunning and would recommend to go there. We felt completely safe there, but of course you need to just be aware of safety. Stay around tourist areas, dont walk around at night (except for around the tourist restaurant areas). Plenty to see and do for children too.

As others said though, if we were to go back we would definitely check out other areas of Africa.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    After having been to Africa, I honestly don't think I need to go anywhere but back there. It's incredible. So primal. So earthy. It made me think a lot about myself as a person. It's amazing. The most amazing part of it is just living with the locals...
    Could not agree more. I've been twice and it gets into your blood. First trip was 7 weeks around Egypt, Kenya (lying in a tent hearing the lions roar at night was amazing!), Tanzania and Uganda and then a couple of years later a month driving around South Africa with my DH. We will go back in a few years to take the kids. It's truly a magical place and the people are amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thinking of going for 2 weeks at least.
    @rainbow your making me even more excited to go.