+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Travel to America with 3-4 year old

Any suggestions of where to go / things to do/see in America with a 3-4 year old in tow?

Thinking of a trip to the US in 2-3 years. DH has been to LA and wasn't overly fussed. Probably thinking of places that are kid friendly and not so hussle and bussle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hawaii is good as is Orlando if you want parks etc. my 10, 4 and 2.5 yr old nephews all met up there for a holiday and they loved it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rae81 For This Useful Post:

MoonMoon  (08-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went to NY, Canada (Blue Mountain resort in Toronto for a Conference) and Disneyland in LA. DS was jut 3.
    I purchased a pram (baby jogger city mini) in NY and it was great, we walked everywhere though my back did ache after a few days, I should have worn sneakers which would have had more padding. The Footpaths in NY aren't that great.
    NY is fabulous for kids, If DS was a bit older he would have got even more out of it but did love it. FAO Schwarz - the big piano, Toys R us in times Square - Ferriss Wheel, lots of 'lego' creations and heaps of stuff. USS Intrepid, DS loves planes and did enjoy seeing the Concorde too. They are getting one of the Space Shuttles in a few years so we will have to go back for that. Central Park zoo was a bit meh. I was expecting a bit more after Madagascar, it is expensive and we had seen everything in two hours. DS loved M &M's world, he still talks about it now. LEgo stores are fabulous, he loves lego though. WE also went to the FDNY' Fire zone', there wasn't that much for a 3yo to do but he did play on the fire truck and dressed up. Mummy got her FDNY calendar too which was extremely important . I didn't see any Firemen though.
    MAdame Tussaud's was great, WE have some cute pics of DS with 'Miley Cyrus'.
    We went to the 'Bodies' exhibit and I was pleased that DS was asleep during most of it.
    All the usual NY things - Empire state, Statue of Liberty - we didn't go up to the crown though as I didn't get tickets early enough and children under 5 aren't allowed. He was a bit 'bored' at Ellis Island. Museum of Natural History is great.

Disneyland was great, DS still talks about this now. He loved 'it's a small world ride'. We did it every day. World of Colour was great. We also did 'Ridemakerz' in Downtown Disney. the Disney Junior show was great but we do have Austar so DS was familiar with all the characters. Just after we had been to Disneyland DS got into Toy Story in a huge way, I wish that we had been going to Disney now but I think going there did spike his interest.

We did use Disneyland as a 'stopover' to break the flight but we were there for 5 days? I wanted to do something for DS (and me). I got a bit tary the first time we walked into Disneyland and I saw the castle

Whenever or wherever you take your child they will find something they enjoy. You will always wish they were 'older'. If you will only have one chance at a US Holiday, wait. If you are likely to travel again go and go when they are 6-7or so. I believe travel is really beneficial for them and they learn so much. DS was having some speech issues (stuttering, difficult to understand) before we went away. When we came back he had improved so much. I don't know if it was spending so much time with us or listening to accents but that was one obvious way of travel aiding his development.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am also thinking of going to new York when dd is 3.5 next yr to celebrate my 30th.
    Leuy your post was so helpful The research I have done there seems to be so much in NY for any age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    siesmum - we stayed at east 34th st Affinia dumont. DS was in a pram so we walked everywhere. Being a bit out of the way wasn't an issue and it was only a 10 minute walk to macy's. There were laundry facilities in the basement (important to me), supermarket 4mins walk away and few other shops 1 min away. It had cooking facilities which were fabulous for heating food after a big day out sightseeing and making breakfasts most day. I also made vegemite sandwiches for DS to eat when we were out. Vegemite is brilliant, it doesn't need to be refrigerated and can be eaten at any time of the day. We had a one bedroom apartment and DS slept on the sofa bed. The bathroom was off the masterbedroom and htere was a tv in there too. One night DS was tucked up in bed 'usual' time and DH and I had abottle of moet and godiva chocolates while watching tv.
    It wasn't *that* cheap but accommodation in NY isn't really.

HAve fun planning