User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default AF has just come what does this mean for BFing?

Sadly today AF returned, I am BFing DS 6 mo, he is established on two solids a day for about 2 weeks now and has never had formula. I have noticed a drop in supply and also DS has dropped a feed, he is only feeding from one breast.

I'm worried that this signals my supply decreasing or is this just natural occurrence.

I feel really sad!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I hope your bfing journey is not ending for you if you don't want it to. My AF returned at 2 months once and then back fully at 4 months I think. I didn't have any problems with supply and fed until 14 months. However, later when my DS had cut right down on feeds, I did notice a drop in supply from around ovulation until a few days into AF for this I took a high dose of calcium with magnesium around this time which helped. I'm not sure of the specifics of dose anymore but if you google it you should find something. Maybe someone else on here knows?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I noticed bub more unsettled on the breast, apparently AF can change the taste slightly. AF returned at 5months and I BF til 12months. I didnt notice a change in supply and she never had formula.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With DD2 AF returned after 9 months and I BF her until 17 months. I never noticed a drop in supply.

Both of my children fed exclusively from my right breast from about 7 months! I always had loads more milk in the right side and it must have been easier to feed from, so they both refused the left side. The first couple of months I was noticeably lopsided but it eventually settled down.

Dont stress, cause that might make it worse. Maybe looks up what foods help increase supply and remember to drink lots of water.
    Me DH and our gorgeous little family

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It doesn't mean a great deal in terms of breastfeeding, just carry on as usual I have heard a few people mention that their babies were fussy at the breast during or just before AF due to a different taste in the milk (I haven't personally noticed a related fussy period with DS. AF came back when he was roughly 4 months old despite being exclusively breastfed at the time).

Here's some info which might explain a few things (written by an LC):

Some women do notice a temporary drop in milk supply in the days just prior to a period and for a few days into one This is due to hormonal fluctuations. Once the period begins and hormone levels begin to return to normal, the milk supply will boost back up again.
    and

Some babies may detect a slight change in the taste of the milk just before a
    period, again, due to hormonal changes. These same babies may nurse less often or less enthusiastically during this time as a result.
    You can read more about AF and BFing at this link - Menstruation and Breastfeeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks Witwiky!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with witwicky

AF returned after 6 weeks for me. That did indicated a decrease in supply and I was prescribed motilium soon after. That boosted my supply back up and than it naturally returned at about 4 months before dd started solids. I never noticed her react any different at AF time and I continued to feed her until she self weaned at 14 months
    Me 30 Him 32
    DD1. Aug 2009
    DD2 June 2012
    miracle bub never forgotten always loved, May 2011

Your going to let a plastic stick covered in urine defeat you? Buck up!