+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was raised on a cul de sac and we spent a lot of time in the street with all the neighborhood kids. It was so fun. However, if we had been disrespectful or callous with the neighbours belongings we would have been marched back inside after an apology.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefully2 For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (10-04-2012)

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefully2 View Post
    I was raised on a cul de sac and we spent a lot of time in the street with all the neighborhood kids. It was so fun. However, if we had been disrespectful or callous with the neighbours belongings we would have been marched back inside after an apology.
    We are at the bowl of a cul de sac. If my kids are ever rude or disrespectful of property they'll be made to apologise. Right now they are content riding their scooters and bikes. They are the youngest by a decade but the big kids still include them.

Even the druggy sons next door are polite and tell their mates off for swearing in front of me or my kids. They even came over and apologised when one got arrested and the cops blocked our driveway.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bellalika For This Useful Post:

hopefully2  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I played in a cul-de-sac as a child... with supervision. That is the point here. These are very young children, unsupervised outside. It doesn't matter where. My kids are young, and I encourage them to play outside. But I watch them. Always. I have also taught them road safety. My 2 year old will tell you very clearly that you hold an adult's hand to cross the road and NEVER let go... or cars will squish you. She will stop at the verge and wait for an adult, and I like it that way. I don't want my kids on the road for even 3 minutes without supervision, and I live in a quiet country town where people all know each other.
    I would be worried about young kids (10 and younger) on the street without adults around as well. Same as I would not let them in a pool without an adult watching them. Some may call this cotton-wool parenting or over-protectiveness and have a *****, but I call it responsibility, and I accepted it when I had kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in a culdesac and I feel your pain, I feel for ds2.5 when he sits on our lawn and watches all the other children on the road but I wouldn't let him play on any other street so ours is a no go.
    I also get frustrated when I have to call my visitors and ask them to be careful coming into our street because of the amount of kids around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Psylent View Post
    I played in a cul-de-sac as a child... with supervision. That is the point here. These are very young children, unsupervised outside. It doesn't matter where. My kids are young, and I encourage them to play outside. But I watch them. Always. I have also taught them road safety. My 2 year old will tell you very clearly that you hold an adult's hand to cross the road and NEVER let go... or cars will squish you. She will stop at the verge and wait for an adult, and I like it that way. I don't want my kids on the road for even 3 minutes without supervision, and I live in a quiet country town where people all know each other.
    I would be worried about young kids (10 and younger) on the street without adults around as well. Same as I would not let them in a pool without an adult watching them. Some may call this cotton-wool parenting or over-protectiveness and have a *****, but I call it responsibility, and I accepted it when I had kids.
    Hahah your son sounds like mine, mine often tells grown men to hold their mummy's hand