+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't let my 4 or 6 year old play out on the road unsupervised and I would worry if I saw my neighbors four year old out there by himself. But that doesn't mean I think all children should be locked away.
    I agree with you op. I would be more annoyed with the parents and children's lack of respect for other peoples property. Unfortunately these people will probably never change there negative attitude.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I completely agree that the parents reacted irresponsibly when it came to the damage. Kids break things, and we, as their parents have to foot the bill.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It's called responsibility. You teach your kids to be responsible, and you make sure that you're responsible for their actions. No one's child is the perfect little individual snowflake that they think they are, and inside of every wonderful, well behaved little angel is a grinning, fang faced cheeky bugger.

What's wrong with society today is not that we have to lock kids up in our yards that stop them from annoying the neighbours. It's that so many parents don't give a flying hoopla about the people around them. It's all about me me me.
    I
    should be able to let my kids play in the street. It's my right and they aren't hurting anyone!
    But when the neighbours want to be able to leave their car in front of their house and not have it damaged by someone else's (unsupervised) kids, that's them being unrealistic and unfair?

Of course it is. Because it's up to society to tolerate us, our behaviours and those of our kids, rather than it being up to us to teach them respect to prevent those behaviours from p!ssing everyone around us off .

My son is only 3, but he knows that if you damage something that doesn't belong to you, you say sorry and you try to fix it even if that means mummy and daddy have to get involved. We taught our son that because it's the right thing to do for society.
    If everyone taught their kids the same thing, us parents would have a right to get huffy when someone yelled at them for causing damage. People are a lot more likely to forgive accidents if the person that caused it is apologetic rather than copping "Well, you shouldn't have left it where it could get damaged!".

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (09-04-2012),kezanazz  (09-04-2012),mandlsmum  (09-04-2012),millie91  (09-04-2012),VicPark  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Well said eko.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its about locking kids up! My dd spends heaps of time outside!! But she is supervised and is not playing in amongst the traffic!! Some people especially young men in fast cars don't think about children playing on the street when they come joining around corners! The issue here for me is safety! Not whether they are wearing shoes or not and not whether they ate making noise or not!! The noises of happy kids playing are the best and anyone that complains about that must be a miserable person!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I completely understand your frustrations! My DS is allowed to play on our road, however he is generally supervised or I can see him from my lounge room window!

In saying that I don't think it's appropriate for you to yell at the kids, regardless of how angry you are. If you have a problem, my suggestion would be to discuss it with the parents. I hope that they can come to some type of understanding with you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Eko, not one poster has suggested that the parents aren't responsible for the damage to the car. I feel your rather dramatic post kind of misses the point of what people were saying.
    As for all these comments referring to children playing outside as being "what's wrong with society", I think society has greater problems than a car on a cul-de-sac.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Eko, not one poster has suggested that the parents aren't responsible for the damage to the car. I feel your rather dramatic post kind of misses the point of what people were saying.
    As for all these comments referring to children playing outside as being "what's wrong with society", I think society has greater problems than a car on a cul-de-sac.
    Dramatic? Urh, I was being flatly honest, not dramatic. There were words bolded for emphasis. Drama would have been something more like "OMGZ, I CANT BELIF THOZ GAIZ WERENT WATCHIN THEIR KIDZ ON DA ROADZ!?!". Far out, can't keep that up for long! Hahaha! (And for the PC parade, I'm extraordinarily aware that a lack of grammar and syntax doesn't necessarily imply drama. Just means someone can't spell ).

Explain to me what I missed? I thought the OP was about parents not being responsible for their children's actions. That would be not only damage that they caused, but the responsibility or lack thereof of the parents actually monitoring the kids not only on the roads, but also around their neighbours?
    I perhaps should have pointed out every single instance of lack of responsibility in the OPs post just for clarity .

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is no way my kids at that age would be out the front playing and talking to strangers I feel for those kids as the parents are not keep a closer eye on them and not being responsible for there kids.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tigerchick For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Tumbleweed View Post
    Cul de sac or not, it's still a road and there's no way in the world I would let my child play on it. We are lucky we live on 5 acres so have plenty of space for playing but DS knows that under no circumstances is he to go near the road. Bad things happen all the time and nobody ever expects that it will happen to them.
    Exactly! Just because our children stay in their own spacious yards and play does not mean they are locked away as someone mentioned. Far from it! Our kids have a great life of fishing, camping and exploring the great outdoors where we live but when they are home they are secure in their own yard where we know what they are doing rather than left to runamok and cause havoc while the parents are god knows where doing their own thing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast