+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ^^ The loss of the 'neighbourhood' is very interesting and has quite a significant societal impact.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (09-04-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    We are turning in to such an awful society.
    Lock our kids in gardens away from psychos and to stop them from "annoying" neighbours.

Going to the police instead of talking it out with them...

yuck.
    My kids live in the cul de sac. they are 9,7 and 2.
    We have spoken to our neighbours and have a few rules. No noise before 8am and after 7pm.
    But the kids live here, its their neighbourhood too. They are not annoying to out neighbours. They play handball, ride scooters and bikes and play games, all on the road.
    I grew up in a cul de sac and so did DH and we both lived out there.

I do not want a high security fence ...I do not want my kids to be locked away.

I think the damage is bad OP, I do think that maybe you could go to the neighbour and say, hey we seem to have got off on the wrong foot and would like to patch it up..and talk.
    agreed. my inlaws live in a culdesac, and all the kids play in the road or in each others yards, from the littlest who is nearly 2 to the 14yo.
    if my car was so precious that i didnt want people near it, i would put it in secure storage, not park it on a public road.

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be honest I would try and as suggested start fresh with your neighbors. You don't want to be known as the neighbor that yelled at the kids I'm sure. To be honest if my car was possibly going to get hit by the ball while in the street I would have happily moved it for them. Especially after the first instance of a close call with the ball. Why wait for more incidents?! Yes it was bad manners not to apologize but maybe they are scared of you.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    edit because I can't be bothered.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 09-04-2012 at 22:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If I lived in a cul-de-sac I'd be more than happy for my kids to play in the street. I would not be happy if they disrespected people's property or their boundaries. It's all about respect and I hope I install my kids with a lot of it.
    Last edited by scarymarygoldfish; 08-04-2012 at 22:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I get what you're all saying about cul de sacs and I'm not a fan of cotton wool parenting!! 9 is a more appropriate age. I think the op was talking about children a lot younger!! If it wasn't for the lunatic in the red ute that lives on our street, i would probably consider it when mine are a bit older!! Couldn't now though - he always comes flying around the corner and there's no way he would be able to stop on time. My cul de sac goes around a corner so lots of blind spots.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think the op is more upset at the fact the parents where unapolagetic, not so much the damage to the car. I also wouldce yelled out to the kids, if theyre responsible enough to be out playing on the road then theyre responsible enough to cop an earful when being disrespectful and by ignoring the warnings of fil to stay away from the cars, that is disrespectful, and if my child.came running in and said 'that man yelled at me because our footy hit their car' i would march them outside to apologise and promise to be more careful. Theres a difference between playing in the st and acting like u own it, its not like op marched over and said 'get your grubby kids inside!!'

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    We are turning in to such an awful society.
    Lock our kids in gardens away from psychos and to stop them from "annoying" neighbours.

Going to the police instead of talking it out with them...

yuck.
    I didn't say I went to the police? In fact I said that nothing criminal has happened so I can't go to the police....

I get what you are all saying about playing in a cul de sac, I do!! BUT......
    These kids are the only ones in the street of about 27 houses, mostly filled with older and retired couples, this is very quiet and expensive neighbourhood. It is also quite busy as its the first street as you pull off a very busy road and alot of people use it to do u-turns and go back to the main road.
    The parents aren't feral, the kids just act it.
    They use the neighbour on my lefts floral arch way thing over their driveway as their football goal post, those flowers are now in tatters all over their driveway - no respect for people's belongings!
    Rubbish day is their favourite, they get out there and go through everyone's bins - no boundries! Always in other peoples yard tearing up their front lawns - again no respect. Supervised children do not do these things!!!!
    I should be able to leave a car parked outside MY house for one measly hour without fear of a child coming up from THEIR house and destroying it.... If you ask a child to please be careful and 30 seconds later they have done it again, makes you wonder if it was done on purpose considering the lack of respect and discipline these kids have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppyGuts View Post
    I think the op is more upset at the fact the parents where unapolagetic, not so much the damage to the car. I also wouldce yelled out to the kids, if theyre responsible enough to be out playing on the road then theyre responsible enough to cop an earful when being disrespectful and by ignoring the warnings of fil to stay away from the cars, that is disrespectful, and if my child.came running in and said 'that man yelled at me because our footy hit their car' i would march them outside to apologise and promise to be more careful. Theres a difference between playing in the st and acting like u own it, its not like op marched over and said 'get your grubby kids inside!!'

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    The difference is the story was "they just yelled at us *omit bit about footy ball hitting car here*" which is probably why the parents came out all defensive but still when we told them what had actually happened, they still didn't seem to car.

Thank you puppyguts for understanding what I mean and that these kids simply just playing on the road isn't the issue

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't get the impression that the kids playing on the road was a big deal from the OP .... To me, it read like the issue is a safety one because the kids will not move off of the road when a car is coming.

You can tell me it is still safe until the cows come home, but a one tonne hunk of metal moving towards somebody who isn't aware they need to get out of the way is a major risk.

The disrespect for property (to me) is easily secondary to the issue of safety.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (09-04-2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast